• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 of Anime's Worst Sore Losers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:07 pm Reply with quote
unready wrote:
Quote:
I got a flu shot this week and and got sick? That's not how it's supposed to work, right?

Assuming you (or any other reader) doesn't know better, vaccinations take 2 or 3 weeks after injection to become effective. If you want to be immune now, you need to have been vaccinated a month ago.

Until Influenza starts killing you, there's not much to feel. What you normally feel as illness is actually the body's immune response. You don't get a fever because of the invader. The reaction to the invader. While a Vaccine is mostly dead, the body still reacts to it to produce antibodies.

Also the success rate of this year's vaccine is 30%, so for many people they stand a good chance of getting a fake flu and a real one. Double Dip on your sick leave from work this winter!
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:17 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
unready wrote:
Quote:
I got a flu shot this week and and got sick? That's not how it's supposed to work, right?

Assuming you (or any other reader) doesn't know better, vaccinations take 2 or 3 weeks after injection to become effective. If you want to be immune now, you need to have been vaccinated a month ago.

That and "getting sick" is wonderfully non-specific. The flu vaccine helps to prevent you from getting the flu (the real thing) not "getting sick". I say "the real thing" because most of what people call "the flu" isn't, rather it's a some kind of cold or possibly a minor case of food poisoning.
I've come down with flu symptoms after flu shots before, but it's always been nowhere near as bad as if I contracted it normally. I also have a really crappy immune system so that factors in as well, how well your immune system works will impact if you get full immunity, partial immunity, or actually develop flu symptoms because of the vaccination.

there's also the fact there's multiple strains of the flu and one flu shot won't cover them all. the yearly vaccinations only cover the ones that are calculated to be the most common and the most likely to hit people the hardest.
q_3

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Ralph Snackshi wrote:
Also I'd love to see a NA release of Mai Mai Miracle. Why on earth hasn't that happened already?

The UK release is region-free (because it's also the Kickstarter release).
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:40 pm Reply with quote
The series I most want a release of is Cross Game, but even though Viz put a subbed version on Hulu for awhile its never gotten a physical release, so I decided not to count it/add it. Paranoia Agent is the big one. I like a couple of the suggestions mentioned like Kamichu! and Dual Parallel Adventures (and I might even double-dip if released again) but those two are still easy to find for good prices on the secondhand market. I should know, after losing my previous copies I had to rebuy them a couple years ago. Paranoia Agent though- every reseller is set to gouge you for every perceived cent of value.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:06 pm Reply with quote
I read the header, and thought one word: "B-ko".
(Or is that two words? Or is that "Most Stubborn Sore Loser"?)

As for series rescue, I wouldn't mind seeing a Rumik World rescue (or anything else that disappeared into limbo after AnimEigo once had it), if it would only bring "Maris the Supergal" out of its twenty-year limbo. The others can pretty well go hang.

Also, um, Viz, we're finished with Ranma 1/2 now, how about that "We may look at bringing back Maison Ikkoku" thingy we were bragging about at the beginning?
And a reasonably competent Sailor Moon-style dub would make a nice reason to bring back Urusei Yatsura...AnimEigo and CPM proved it can be done.
Vannil

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:42 pm Reply with quote
I would love a licence rescue/ re release of chibi vampire (karin). It is one series I enjoyed, but you can no longer get discs for R1 at least. Also Star Driver would be nice.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:45 pm Reply with quote
I had to choose Windaria--because, to my knowledge, there has never been a proper US release of this film. I would have gone with Evangelion, but the rumor is that it's not gonna happen until after "You can (not) wait 4.44" is released.

And there were too many second-place choices for me: Rune Soldier, Paranoia Agent, Roujin Z (I have a UK Blu of this one), End of Evangelion, Witch Hunter Robin.

And I concur with some other shows mentioned in this thread: Dual, They Were Eleven, Karin, Steel Angel Kurumi. To which I'd add Vandread, The Wallflower, Welcome to the NHK, Mahoromatic, and the original Last Exile.

Last edited by Ouran High School Dropout on Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Note: I got a flu shot this week and got sick? That's not how it's supposed to work, right?

As others have pointed out, it takes a few weeks for the vaccine to fully kick in: The flu shot is available every year at the end of October; Your best bet is to get the flu shot right off and then your body is ready for the season.

I don't know why you waited but Thank You for getting it and not being an outright anti-vaxxer. Vaccination is very important and isn't just about your own health: Babies, the sick, and some people for health reasons, can't get vaccinated and are very vulnerable to preventable diseases, which can be spread even by people who are not affected themselves.

Get well soon!
Anthony Masson

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I obviously want King of Braves GaoGaiGar to have its license rescued!
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:41 am Reply with quote
CandisWhite wrote:
Quote:
Note: I got a flu shot this week and got sick? That's not how it's supposed to work, right?

As others have pointed out, it takes a few weeks for the vaccine to fully kick in: The flu shot is available every year at the end of October; Your best bet is to get the flu shot right off and then your body is ready for the season.

I don't know why you waited but Thank You for getting it and not being an outright anti-vaxxer. Vaccination is very important and isn't just about your own health: Babies, the sick, and some people for health reasons, can't get vaccinated and are very vulnerable to preventable diseases, which can be spread even by people who are not affected themselves.

Get well soon!

My off the cuff comment got a lot of serious responses, ha. Just so everyone knows, I know how vaccines work and fully support them as a mom of two kids. My husband is also a nurse, so we both get flu shots every year. I just...really dislike hypodermic needles. The irony is not lost on me as a person with numerous large tattoos but it is what it is, so I tend to put off getting mine. However, we're expecting a new baby in the family (a nephew!) in two months so I made sure to get mine this year! Even though I actually already had the REAL flu (I have not had a fever-vomit combo that rough in YEARS) as did my husband and oldest son, one after the other, for about two weeks (which is how I know it wasn't food poisoning.)

What I came down with this week was like other people probably said, a "mild" reaction to the shot (maybe) or something completely unrelated but mostly manifested in headache, mild fever, and very strong fatigue/malaise regardless of how much sleep I got. I'm doing better and hopefully it passes soon.

I'm also going through the poll now to fix up options for stuff already licensed. Thanks guys!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:24 am Reply with quote
I picked Monster for the license rescue(still mad at Viz) but I'd also like to continue Yawara where AnimEigo was forced to drop it. Basically, bring us more Naoki Urasawa, please!

I already have all of Master Keaton but, for people who do not, I suppose that should be rescued, too.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Evangelion!
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:52 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
What I came down with this week was like other people probably said, a "mild" reaction to the shot (maybe) or something completely unrelated but mostly manifested in headache, mild fever, and very strong fatigue/malaise regardless of how much sleep I got. I'm doing better and hopefully it passes soon.

Let's hope so! With your immune system fully supplemented, I imagine it'd be plain sailing until spring arrives. That's what I tell myself if ever I fall under the weather at this point in winter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Seto Kaiba literally threatened to commit suicide if he lost to Yugi during their rematch, so Yugi was forced to forfeit. Sure, it was because if he lost the duel his brother would be killed

Was that really the stipulation in the anime?

Seems kind of redundant as Mokuba would have his soul taken by the time Kaiba went to duel Pegasus anyway. But yeah that and his reaction to losing to Atem in the semi finals in Battle City are good reasons for why he should be on the list

Animegomaniac wrote:

Blowing up a planet... wait, didn't Cell blow up Kai's planet too? Does DB ever have new ideas anymore or do they just repaint the old ones?

Difference being Cell blowing it up was an unintended consequence. Beerus blowing it up was intended (the planet was also apparently bigger before Beerus blew it up).

crazieanimefan1 wrote:
You forgot one of the biggest sore losers of all! Light Yagami, Death Note! lol He fits the troupe to a T in my book.

I wonder what his role is in the "troupe".
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:40 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Animegomaniac wrote:

Blowing up a planet... wait, didn't Cell blow up Kai's planet too? Does DB ever have new ideas anymore or do they just repaint the old ones?

Difference being Cell blowing it up was an unintended consequence. Beerus blowing it up was intended (the planet was also apparently bigger before Beerus blew it up).

Seeing how Cell was trying to blow up the Earth, having it be a different planet instead really isn't the point. DBZ is filled with sore losers who like to blow up planets. At least with Frieza, it was a tactical move. Beerus was being petty and Cell was spiteful. All three had some measure of sore loser.

But it's very hard to take Beerua seriously as a poor loser when you compare him to Gods from mythology; Did he turn Kai into a croquet ball? No, he lost his planet so he got off easy.

As to an earlier post, Cell didn't know for a fact that he would regenerate from a complete self-destruct. In fact, there must have been exactly only one cell or one bit of Cell left or else there would have been a lot of regenerated Cells running around.

But then what happened to the tail 16 ripped off? Honestly, it's best not to think too deeply about the Cell saga details. I just look at the broad plot points: Cell lost, Cell mad, Cell blew up wrong planet trying to kill everyone after losing the tournament where that not happening was the prize, all of which he himself set up. It's those two last points that make him the sorest of losers.

He could have just left at any point even before he learned how to teleport. I do like how a lot of Cell's choices are explained because he's part saiyan. Vegeta's pride, Gohan's stubbornness and Goku's idiocy does not make a rational being when he's against the ropes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4