• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 More Visually Striking Anime Productions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:27 am Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
LaytonPuzzle27 wrote:
Disgusting! Of all the thumbnails that ANN could have use they have to THAT thumbnail. ANN I demand you remove it. What where the developers of Belladonna of Sadness thinking are they trying to make movie audience disgust and sick of these scenes? Mad

Take it easy, that's just frosting on her face, perv. Laughing

Frosting? Those are clearly coming from her eyes. Those are tears!
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:30 am Reply with quote
LaytonPuzzle27 wrote:
Disgusting! Of all the thumbnails that ANN could have use they have to THAT thumbnail. ANN I demand you remove it. What where the developers of Belladonna of Sadness thinking are they trying to make movie audience disgust and sick of these scenes? Mad

Not sure if sarcastic or just dumb.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:55 am Reply with quote
grooven wrote:
I'm very surprised that Mononoke did not make the list. That one has incredible style.

x100, yes. Very Happy

Edit: I also did not (read? who does that!?) the top paragraph...my bad. Sad
Sakurafire_

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:57 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
CatSword wrote:
LaytonPuzzle27 wrote:

Take it easy, that's just frosting on her face, perv. Laughing

Frosting? Those are clearly coming from her eyes. Those are tears!

"A gentleman doesn't aim for the eyes..."

Loved Belladonna of Sadness when I watched it on TCM. It was such a trippy movie and the limited animation worked, but I almost wish they had a bigger budget for a broader scope. Amusingly enough I had both this and Fantastic Planet on my DVR and forced my wife to watch both back to back! Haha...
Shaterri

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Hard to argue with anything on this list (or the previous one); these are all great choices. A couple more I'd offer from recent(ish) years: Kyōsōgiga and Flip Flappers. Both have some issues with story and with their characters (much like LotL, really), but are carried by astonishing degrees of visual inventiveness. I'm thrilled to see that Kiyotaka Oshiyama of Flip Flappers is going to be involved with the new FLCL, and still a little boggled that after helming Kyōsōgiga and Blood Blockade Battlefront, Rie Matsumoto hasn't been tapped for any new projects (that we know of).
melmouth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:59 am Reply with quote
You can see Belladonna of Sadness on the Fandor movie service. It is gorgeous and emotionally draining. This is what good myth-making does.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3