• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 TV Anime Affected by Japanese Censorship [2018-04-29]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:41 am Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water was also censored in a rebroadcast on NHK, airbrushing Nadia's nipples out of a brief nude scene.

It's interesting how much stricter Japan's gotten on nudity over the years. Whenever I think of Japanese TV censorship, one of the first things that comes to mind is Freezing (maybe just because it was one of the first examples of broadcast censorship I saw via screenshots), in which the entire screen was black at times.

I finished watching Nadia a few weeks ago. I think I know which scene you mean.

Maybe they've realized that younger viewers shouldn't be watching shows where women (and sometimes underage children) manage to end up buck naked and claim it's okay because nudity = purity in their culture's view.
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:20 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water was also censored in a rebroadcast on NHK, airbrushing Nadia's nipples out of a brief nude scene.

It's interesting how much stricter Japan's gotten on nudity over the years. Whenever I think of Japanese TV censorship, one of the first things that comes to mind is Freezing (maybe just because it was one of the first examples of broadcast censorship I saw via screenshots), in which the entire screen was black at times.

Which is ironic because it directly conflicts with NHK's own broadcast of Lupin III Fujiko Mine fully uncensored, nudity, sex and all. Late night live action on many broadcast stations is still uncensored AFAIK.

Re: Tokyo Ghoul this also conflicts with Parasyte's uncensored broadcast, and seems part of the usual way for the producers to incentivize buying the blurays.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:25 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Maybe they've realized that younger viewers shouldn't be watching shows where women (and sometimes underage children) manage to end up buck naked and claim it's okay because nudity = purity in their culture's view.

You can blame and/or thank American influence for that; the US takes amount of exposed skin as directly proportional to sexual-ness, disregarding almost all other factors, in addition to treating all sex/erotica as adults-only (and still shady and questionable even if you are an adult) regardless of context or content. Similar to how certain arbitrary curse words are banned from TV entirely, but others are allowed. Most other Western countries don't have this type of censorship.

The no-parody-exception thing in Japan really confuses me, though. How does Pop Team Epic get away with... existing?
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:08 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
You can blame and/or thank American influence for that; the US takes amount of exposed skin as directly proportional to sexual-ness, disregarding almost all other factors, in addition to treating all sex/erotica as adults-only (and still shady and questionable even if you are an adult) regardless of context or content. Similar to how certain arbitrary curse words are banned from TV entirely, but others are allowed. Most other Western countries don't have this type of censorship.

I don't think the U.S. managed to convince all of Japan that being nude is inappropriate, so blaming "American influence" is unfair. This is a choice they made on their own and their television companies have their own standards about what's acceptable for broadcast. Besides, it's not like all anime have suddenly begun censoring nudity entirely.
Furuzaki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Fight! Iczer-One was not maid for TV.

Unless I'm missing a joke here, it should be spelled "made", right?
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
It seems it was actually related to "Waiting for Godot" references: apparently, the original episode used dialogue directly from the play, which is still copyrighted (not to mention the author's objections to having female performers for it).

Yeah, Beckett super didn't like it when women performed parts he had originally written for men... which is funny to me, because every time I've attended a live performance of Waiting for Godot, Pozzo has been played by a woman. Laughing
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 11:31 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
SHD wrote:
Anyway, one of the episodes deals with the Mukden Incident, stating quite directly that it was set up by Japan as a casus belli (which is of course entirely correct). This episode was never allowed to air on TV - it was allowed to be streamed online, but only at the official website.

True, it too is an established fact that became a target of historical revisionists in Japan.

I have to track down that show sometime and check out the episode...

Crunchyroll has the show. IIRC, the episode was somewhere in the episode 5-7 range.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Crunchyroll has the show. IIRC, the episode was somewhere in the episode 5-7 range.

Thanks, but it's not available in this region.

A search with grepwin does reveal I have it on one of the hard drives. But it's the tv version so I'll just get the BR rip from online...
Edit; The episode in question was 7, recap episode 6.5 was instead aired on tv networks.
About the series, seems episodes 0, 7.5 and 14 were exclusive to the bd/dvd releases.
SHD

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:45 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Edit; The episode in question was 7, recap episode 6.5 was instead aired on tv networks.
About the series, seems episodes 0, 7.5 and 14 were exclusive to the bd/dvd releases.

Episode 0, 7.5 and 14 are legit OVAs (0 is sort of give or take, but 7.5 and 14 are pretty good, especially the former). 6.5 is a recap episode that aired in place of episode 7 (that got censored).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3