• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Hanebado! [2018-07-17]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheTsunami

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:54 am Reply with quote
If they actually try to justify her mother ditching her in her sick bed after losing a badminton match to go train some other prodigy on another continent AND have said prodigy travel to play her traumatized daughter...yeah.
Hikaru Suzuhara

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:00 pm Reply with quote
The manga is a completely different kind of story both tonally and structurally at least in its first three to four volumes. The shift begins early on in the fourth volume around chapter 16.

To put it in perspective for you, the events of episode 4 are based on the second and a few pages into the third chapter of the manga. At that point in the manga, Ayano had not yet been convinced to join the Badminton club. Kaoruko hadn't been introduced, and Nagisa was still in her slump.

They didn't just remove the comedy and fan-services scenes, they completely restructured the early parts of the story to the point of changing the order and context of major events. Make no mistake, on the Japanese side of things, they weren't all accepting of the extreme change in tone when it happened in the manga. They came to accept it of course what with the manga having 13 volumes at this point.

So if you don't care for this over the top, melodramatic, badminton serious business and clearly more important than life itself deal Hanebado has going on, abandon ship now as not only is it not going anywhere it's only going to get more extreme as the anime continues.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:05 pm Reply with quote
A lot of people seem have built up some very specific expectations based on the early episodes. Personally I can handle some bombastic characters and twists in an anime provided it doesn’t go full Samurai Flamenco. (Level E is fine with me.)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I sure hope Hanesaki absolutely destroys both her mom and Connie at some point before the end of this show!

The obvious "redemption" of the mother is to reveal that she left not because she realized the daughter didn't have the potential she thought she did, but because she realized that her presence in her daughter's life was ruining that life by motivating a self-destructive badminton-obsessed lifestyle that was alienating her from her peers. Maybe she'll go so far as to say that she realized Hanesaki was "too good" and wanted to turn Hanesaki off of badminton so she could save her from the loneliness that extreme talent is said to bring in these kinds of situations.

I really hope that if Hanesaki does end up playing and beating her mom, her mother doesn't try to take credit for the healthier, more well-adjusted individual Hanesaki has become, smiling like "keikaku doori" as Hanesaki gets her vengeance. That would not be Good. I can't see this ending in a way that is satisfying to me though, given the way things are currently going.

Hanesaki needs to destroy her mother at badminton, tell her to **** off back to training her new scrub, and then win a doubles tournament with someone on her new team, but I somehow think the show is going to push for a "healthier" reconciliation/catharsis through "love of the game" shared between the two of them instead. At this point I would actually prefer the show lean in to the mother's villainy, or at least Hanesaki's anger.

Last edited by 鏡 on Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheTsunami

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:12 pm Reply with quote
If this series doesn't end with Hanesaki completely rejecting her mother and what she stands for, I will legitimately be disgusted.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:30 pm Reply with quote
TheTsunami wrote:
If this series doesn't end with Hanesaki completely rejecting her mother and what she stands for, I will legitimately be disgusted.

It'll be interesting to see what, exactly, the show tries to make the mother and her abandonment "stand for". I seriously doubt it's "I left because you were bad at badminton", but that being Hanesaki's understanding of the situation is kind of undercutting Hanesaki's entire character arc by framing it as based on a misunderstanding. Right now Hanesaki is mostly just deeply depressed about her mother leaving her, but I imagine her feelings about her abandonment are going to change as the show progresses. If the options for how those feelings evolve are "beatific understanding/transcendence" and "absolute fury/badminton bloodlust" I know which one I prefer, but the emphasis on the joys of cooperation in the latest episode make me think it'll be the former. This is bad, IMO, because if the mother's motivations were anything like "it's for your own good" then an amicable resolution between a "well-adjusted" (read: forgiving) Hanesaki and her sagacious mother will have rendered Hanesaki's entire character arc a mere elaborate vindication of her mother.

Also I s u p e r do not give a shit about Connie's situation after all the shit she talked. I hope Hanesaki buries her, and if the show tries to give her a sympathetic back story I will be rolling my eyes the entire time.

On the other hand, if the show really does lean into the villainy of the mother and Connie, and Hanesaki resolves the situation by disavowing herself of them by beating them, it could actually be really great and unconventional.
Cab329

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, my big worry is mom will come back and she'll be shown as in the right or the show will deem that it was all for the best (like that pokemon comic where a dad gets praised for his parenting after he beats his kid and tries to have his pokemon go for deathblows on him), cause yeah, right now her mom is a horrible person...like, couldn't even make a phonecall saying why she left...I mean, if there's karma in this universe, she'll fall down a flight of stairs, crush her arms, shatter a knee and somehow tear her ACL so she can't ever play badminton again.

As for the episode, Connie is ridiculous. I know Badminton is a fast sport but did she really do a jump smash, then return it before hitting the ground? Like, badminton's a fast sport but that's pretty darn ridiculous.

Also, that was some hella whiplash. Everyone's torn up about the match...then fanservice hijinks...then right back aboard the Hanesaki trauma bus. Seriously, can someone give Hanesaki a hug? Can we put her in a support group with characters who get crapped on way too much in universe? Like that one team member who decided to to crap on her for not showing up and then gave a backhanded compliment to her. I know it's supposed to show the team is warming up to her but it really just supports my thought that if she wants to play badminton, she needs to find some club that is not associated with her school.

Also, wait, we didn't get to see Aragaki's match? The hell? I mean, I get the show apparently centers around Hanesaki but I figured they would at least let Aragaki get some focus for a minute.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Cab329 wrote:
Also, wait, we didn't get to see Aragaki's match? The hell? I mean, I get the show apparently centers around Hanesaki but I figured they would at least let Aragaki get some focus for a minute.

Right? I get Hanesaki is pretty much the "main" character, but I am much more interested in Aragaki's development (as well as her friendship with Riko) more that Hanesaki at this point.

Though I did like the dead stare Hanesaki had at the end of the episode, when did this show turn into Happy Sugar Life?

Quote:
Yeah, my big worry is mom will come back and she'll be shown as in the right or the show will deem that it was all for the best (like that pokemon comic where a dad gets praised for his parenting after he beats his kid and tries to have his pokemon go for deathblows on him), cause yeah, right now her mom is a horrible person...like, couldn't even make a phonecall saying why she left...I mean, if there's karma in this universe, she'll fall down a flight of stairs, crush her arms, shatter a knee and somehow tear her ACL so she can't ever play badminton again.

I fear that the show will have the mom's reason for leaving being some BS like "When Ayano lost and got sick I realized I pushed her too hard and that she would be better off without me" or some such garbage in an effort to redeem her.
Cab329

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

Though I did like the dead stare Hanesaki had at the end of the episode, when did this show turn into Happy Sugar Life?

I fear that the show will have the mom's reason for leaving being some BS like "When Ayano lost and got sick I realized I pushed her too hard and that she would be better off without me" or some such garbage in an effort to redeem her.

Yeah, I thought that's what they might be going for around episode 3 (and considering how she suddenly got way too serious with young Hanesaki,yet also apprentally was a positive maternal figure for Connie, they could still be going that way) but considering how traumatized Hanesaki is (lol, good call with the Happy Sugar Life , I thought of that to) it would be really unsatisfying and just make me want to punch her in the face even more (and even if that is the reason, she couldn't have made a call, sent some letters, told her mom and dd why she was leaving?).
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm disappointed in a few ways (not with the execution), but I'll continue to watch to see what the anime will do with these insane characters. Uchika and Connie specifically.

There's no way to redeem Uchika.
And don't matter much what she did with Connie, it's no excuse for Connie's behavior with Ayano, to say nothing about her motivation.
It's so absurd, sheer madness, I have to see. And isn't wonderful when the characters approach each other and talk clearly about what they feel and resolve their differences without misunderstandings?

Meanwhile the animation continues to impress.

Last edited by Panino Manino on Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
LvlfiveShipper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Well I tried, I really tried to like this adaptation but I can't... I just can't like it, I can't even imagine the manga author liking this, they're just making sure that Hanesaki hits rock bottom by being overly pissed for whatever she does and that's not how a team works, like that senpai from the club "I like how you play but I hated your attitude" and I was like, Wait, weren't those the words for the captain's arc that we just went through? did we really need the same for both girls?
And then there's this twisted version (compared to the manga) of Connie that during the night reflex about her bad attitude and mistreating her team mate... That was good right? well, doesn't matter anymore the next morning when she talks with Hanesaki saying how the team doesn't matter after all and how she ntr her mom... That's disgusting, childish and cringy... More than pissed, I'm just sad you know? It could've been amazing, but they want it melodramatic with a super malicious antagonist like some forgettable shonen.
Kokuryu Daimao

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm just wondering where all this talk about "redeeming" or "justifying" the mom character is coming from? Is it unresolved angst and repressed anger? Which would be funny since this series is essentially about teen angst and repressed anger.

Manga/Anime is flooded with "Bad" parents.

Gendo Ikari was always an ass to Shinji
Genma Saotome regularly neglected and took advantage of Ranma
Yukiro Hanma not only abandoned multiple children he beat the crap out of his own son Baki.
Nanjiro Echizen from Prince of Tennis and Joichiro Yukihira from Shokugeki no Soma both trained their sons from a really young age to a point, then basically left them to fend for them selves like lions pushing cubs off a cliff. So far Uchika has just been a female version of them.
Those are just a few examples off the top of my head of the dozens of talented, aloof, bordering abusive, maybe should never be a real parent but for some reason had a kid, characters that are in fiction.

In many cases the audience isn't suppose to empathize with the parent, because the parent represents the final hurdle, the ultimate wall, the "Last Boss" character that the protagonist needs to defeat or out grow in order for them to truly find out who they are. So far Uchika fits that role.

Considering this is only listed as a 1 cour series I highly doubt they'll get to any real confrontation with Uchika. There might be a redemption match with Connie at the upcoming tournament, but that would just move the score to 1:1. Mom would still be "displeased" with both of them.

So far the series hasn't done anything to move me story wise, its all been done before. But because they've been so predictable the series also hasn't done anything to turn me off.
The character development of a few of the cast members has been nice and I hope they lean more into that as it does convey a bit of hope and growth.
The animation remains well done and the actual badminton parts are entertaining so I'll keep watching for now.

Last edited by Kokuryu Daimao on Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Cab329

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:01 am Reply with quote
Well, you're right but the reason it's worrisome in this is because we've already had a couple of characters get off without any repercussions, so Uchika could wind up getting off Scot free.

Aragaki treated her team like crap for at least 6 months but despite that, everyone is just cool with her once she gets over her own drama, she never really had a big comeuppance or at least a proper dressing down (she should have at least been kicked of fan the team for awhile...or have someone punch her)

Elena pretty much got to use Hanesaki to boost herself and her need to feel wanted but she also doesn't have anyone calling her out on it and gets to handle her own redemption.

So there is still a chance the show could pull a Pokémon Adventure and have Uchika come back just to have her forgive herself or have everyone else tell Hanesaki that she needs to forgive her despite the fact that Hanesaki is clearly traumatized as hell.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:38 am Reply with quote
Well, that latest episode was pretty weird. Seems like they decided to frame the mom and 'prodigy' as legitimate villains after all. Doesn't really fit with the show's otherwise grounded-sports-drama tone...
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:43 am Reply with quote
Occasionally though, I just keep coming back to... "It's just badminton."

I don't want to put down the seriousness participants put into a legitimate sport with an Olympic pedigree (although a short one)... but it's still a fringe sport whose stars are not exactly conquering the world with their accomplishments. Professional bowling has more prestige and is almost certainly much more financially lucrative. Here we have an Olympian (if a failed one who couldn't play) with an expert level of technical understanding coaching a small group of kids in a school without any renown... and that's probably a realistic prospect for a person who has "put everything" into the sport of badminton. Momma, with her ten years of national championships and probable "in-demand" status as a coach, spent her life climbing to the top and ruining her family in the meantime for what is probably "a somewhat comfortable lifestyle."

So realistically, you better damn well enjoy the hell out of the sport and support any competitor willing to play anywhere near your level.
Otherwise, you're just kind of wasting your time.

...it's not like this is Shogi. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9