• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do Edited for TV Dubs Change An Anime's Music?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:13 pm Reply with quote
WeirDiE_InC wrote:
Digimon, on top of having its own original score, did pull some music from other shows. The most noticable one for me was Princess Sissi along with some tracks originally heard in Saban's Masked Rider.

I never even saw Masked Rider air at any point for me, so I have no idea what any of its music sounded like.
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
darksharingan wrote:
Well, I can't completely hate the practice of changing music because we got Faulconer Production's tracks on DBZ, the kickass grunge in Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie, and the more emotionally engaging tracks in 4Kids' Pokemon movies (not including end-credit pop trash). All of which were infinitely better than their Japanese counterparts.

I partially blame Bruce Faulconer's music for the perception Dragonball has in America, and am personally glad that OST is gone forever.

Never saw Street Fighter II, but Pokemon has a really forgettable dub music score, especially compared to some of the powerful, amazing tracks of the original. Hakutai Woods is just beautiful.

What do you mean by "perception Dragonball has in America"? The only perception I know of is that it's a show where people fight truly ridiculous battles with the occasional death and rebirth, and I fail to see how different background music would have affected that. I think anyone who prefers the original is perfectly in the right but I think putting fight scenes to rock music is also perfectly reasonable.

Also regarding Pokemon I will fight anyone irl that says that the Japanese opening for Johto is better than the English. It is so much catchier. ♫Do do do do do dooooo ♫ (I know you're talking about in-show music but I'll take any chance I can get to post the Johto Journeys theme)
darksharingan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
darksharingan wrote:
Well, I can't completely hate the practice of changing music because we got Faulconer Production's tracks on DBZ, the kickass grunge in Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie, and the more emotionally engaging tracks in 4Kids' Pokemon movies (not including end-credit pop trash). All of which were infinitely better than their Japanese counterparts.

I partially blame Bruce Faulconer's music for the perception Dragonball has in America, and am personally glad that OST is gone forever.

Never saw Street Fighter II, but Pokemon has a really forgettable dub music score, especially compared to some of the powerful, amazing tracks of the original. Hakutai Woods is just beautiful.

Gone forever? It's still an audio option in current BD releases. I don't know what you're talking about. And fans are adding it to Z Kai and Super.

Never saw SFII? You are totally missing out. It's one of the best anime films ever made.

Pokemon... you got that backwards there. Japanese score's got nothing on Tears of Life.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:33 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Unfortunately, the Technical excuse tends to be the case more than the Artistic.
Was just watching ADV's Dirty Pair OVA, where ADV was unable to get many of the BGM music tracks for the dub, and had to substitute generic rock music in the scenes, although the original Japanese audio was intact--

This one was a rare case because Sunrise somehow lost the full Music & Effects tracks for those episodes but yeah, ADV had to do their own music and sound effects for that dub and it was the only time they did so with other anime with similar situations getting sub-only releases (like the Five Star Stories film which also had no M&Es).

TheAnimeRevolutionizer wrote:
Mega Man NT Warrior: Who did this? Who was in charge of this? Mega Man NT Warrior actually had a nice classic 1970's anime styled tokusatsu feel brought to modern day with uppity rock n roll and fusion techno as the score, and a lot of cast sung theme songs, including its own anthem for MegaMan.EXE. Brought to the states, everything about that was removed for this... cacophony of noise in attempts to sound cyberpunky and hardcore for the kids. It's just as bad as that episode where they censored corrupted and enemy Net Navis getting their limbs wiped out, not to exclude how ShadowMan.EXE had a big gaping hole in his chest from getting sniped by SearchMan.EXE. Post 9/11 censorship at its best, yeeesshhh. You can show me spoiler[blood and placenta on Law and Order SVU out on UPN at 8pm, but a kid's TV show? Come on....]

This one was by ShoPro & Viz and that replacement score was also used for the Spanish dub which was included in Viz's season 1 DVDs (Axess was never released and the other seasons were never dubbed here).

belvadeer wrote:
LBX recycled music from the Monster Rancher dub, which I believe used different music from the Japanese version.

No surprise considering the music was produced at Ocean. The Dragon Ball Z Westwood dub was full of recycled music from Monster Rancher and the Mega Man cartoon and even used an instrumental of the song they made for their Magic Knight Rayearth pilot dub. There was also a English trailer for the Devil Lady anime that was produced at Ocean which had a song from Mega Man as well.

belvadeer wrote:
WeirDiE_InC wrote:
Digimon, on top of having its own original score, did pull some music from other shows. The most noticable one for me was Princess Sissi along with some tracks originally heard in Saban's Masked Rider.

I never even saw Masked Rider air at any point for me, so I have no idea what any of its music sounded like.

I can't speak for Digimon and don't remember Masked Rider very well (used to watch on Fox Kids back then and it wasn't that great) but it wouldn't be the first time if true because they had done this before with Power Rangers Turbo & Beetleborgs Metallix reusing some of the same music between both shows and they were airing at around the same time which made it easy to tell.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Dr. Wily wrote:
What do you mean by "perception Dragonball has in America"? The only perception I know of is that it's a show where people fight truly ridiculous battles with the occasional death and rebirth, and I fail to see how different background music would have affected that. I think anyone who prefers the original is perfectly in the right but I think putting fight scenes to rock music is also perfectly reasonable.

I don't know how to really explain it, but the people who treat it like it's "badass" or "gangsta cool". The kind of people who don't like the original or Super because they're too 'silly'. I don't know if we're counting 'Rock the Dragon" and "Step into the Grand Tour" though, but they didn't help either compared to the more adventurous and purehearted Cha La Head Cha La and Dan Dan.

Quote:
Also regarding Pokemon I will fight anyone irl that says that the Japanese opening for Johto is better than the English. It is so much catchier. ♫Do do do do do dooooo ♫ (I know you're talking about in-show music but I'll take any chance I can get to post the Johto Journeys theme)

Never been a fan of dub themes since they always tend to just repeat the name of the show over and over. It's not One Piece rap or Yu-Gi-Oh rap levels of bad, but I definitely prefer Ok! over it. Although as far as the Johto era openings are concerned, my favorite opening is Ready Go. I think it does an excellent job showcasing the culmination to the finale of the series after years of build up.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
Ages ago when Yugioh was still fresh I remember seeing some kind of brief behind the scenes clip where they talked about the music changes and actual did show a bit of a focus group where kids got to choose which soundtrack they liked better. Could have just been editing bias, the kids shown actually did prefer the 4Kids soundtrack. Unfortunately I doubt the video actually exists online anymore.

Yeah, that’s editing bias. 4Kids certainly wanted their music to be demonstrated in a positive light like that. I would be interested in checking out that behind the scenes video if it ever pops up online again.

penguintruth wrote:
The art is owed as faithful a translation as possible on every level, and this includes keeping the original music. That music was chosen for a reason and it's part of the very fabric of the series it's in. There's little, if any, reason to replace it, unless you try to do English versions of Japanese vocal songs.

Interesting point.

belvadeer wrote:
LBX recycled music from the Monster Rancher dub, which I believe used different music from the Japanese version.

I wonder why they decided to just recycle music from a random dub.
Pidgeot18

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
I've also heard that, apparently, the FCC literally has a rule (or, at least, had a rule that might have since been taken out) that children's programming, which is what these "edited-for-TV-with-new-music" anime tend to be marketed as, literally cannot go for longer than 15-20 seconds (maybe half a minute) without music, regardless of the original artistic vision. Supposedly this was to keep children from getting bored, as they felt that children couldn't/wouldn't continue to pay attention to what's on TV if there wasn't some sort of music playing in the background.

As noted earlier, this sounds like a fake rule. Although trying to track down the actual regulations that existed in the last century but not this one is quite annoying. The current FCC rules don't have any guidelines for what qualifies as children's programming, only children's educational programming, and even those are fairly loose (must air between 7:00-20:00, be at least 30min long, regularly scheduled, be educational in nature, and some technical reporting details).

I've seen no indication that any rule ever existed that tried to define any standards for children's programming. (Unless that is what §73.672 was, but I've been unable to track down what that was since it no longer existed as of 1996).
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:08 am Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:

I don't know how to really explain it, but the people who treat it like it's "badass" or "gangsta cool". The kind of people who don't like the original or Super because they're too 'silly'. I don't know if we're counting 'Rock the Dragon" and "Step into the Grand Tour" though, but they didn't help either compared to the more adventurous and purehearted Cha La Head Cha La and Dan Dan.

I think treating DBZ like it's badass is kinda stupid, but I can't blame that mentality or dislike of the other properties on a soundtrack. I mean, plain and simple, DB and Super are pretty silly by comparison, especially if a viewer's first exposure to the series is Z and doubly so if their first exposure is Kai, which is pretty strait-laced action from beginning to end (aside from I guess Great Saiyaman).

...And how dare you lump Rock the Dragon and Step into the Grand Tour in the same sentence. Fan opinion is divided on RTD, no one likes Step into the Grand Tour Wink

Quote:

Never been a fan of dub themes since they always tend to just repeat the name of the show over and over. It's not One Piece rap or Yu-Gi-Oh rap levels of bad, but I definitely prefer Ok! over it. Although as far as the Johto era openings are concerned, my favorite opening is Ready Go. I think it does an excellent job showcasing the culmination to the finale of the series after years of build up.

and again how dare you lump the YGO opening in with the Pirate Rap! Razz (I mean if nothing else, calling the English Yu-Gi-Oh opening a rap is stretching the definition of the term rap. I think the lyrics are "Your move (x7) / Yu-gi-oh / It's time to dddduel" each broken up by long instrumental breaks).

But then, I'll go to bat for a lot of old English anime openings from the 90s/00s, mostly from nostagia, but a little because a bunch are just catchy earworms.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:23 am Reply with quote
Usually I find music in edited dubbed versions of anime to be inferior to the Japanese version (Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball Z, Saint Seiya), but with some exceptions (I don't mind the English songs of Kiki's Delivery Service, for example).
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:24 am Reply with quote
Dubs and subs, including music changes for non-Japanese language versions, and shipping debates are perhaps the biggest debates I have seen in anime/manga fandom not counting piracy.
Lord Starfish

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:32 am Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:
Honestly, the only time an English dub music track has been better than the Japanese version was Lugia's song.

I only JUST found out today that the song is different in the Japanese version, and it's... Not quite as good.

That piece is one of very few examples where I can totally understand where English dub fans are coming from. Personally I like both versions with my preference leaning ever so slightly towards the Japanese, but I can absolutely understand why a lot of people prefer the English one.

...In that respect, if the new movie does indeed keep the entire original score unchanged, they might actually get some backlash for it, due to Lugia being in the movie. Fans who grew up on the dub of M2 might be upset that their Lugia theme isn't in there, "replaced" instead with some other music that sounds suspiciously similar without actually being it. I mean, people like you and me will of course recognize this "replacement" as the actual original theme, but casual viewers would not. Pretty sure I've seen several comments on the trailers being all "Wait, why isn't Lugia's theme here?" And this is why, even though I absolutely wanted the dub to stop replacing the music, I would have made an exception for Lugia's theme; If the dub kept every piece of the original score except any renditions of the Japanese Lugia theme, replacing them with tonally similar rearrangements of the English one, I would not fault TPCi one bit for it.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:02 am Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:
A lot claims there's no formula translating JP to EN fluently, but I disagree. I am a speaker of both languages and aside from local japanese puns, literal translation is possible, but again, there's a lot of influencers out there saying the otherwise and that is nothing short of misinforming people.

Disagree if you like, but between any two different languages, there are going to be things that defy literal translation, at least if you want a listener/reader in the second language to fully understand things. Aside from puns, slang and idioms in particular present difficulty: sure you can translate what is said pretty literally, but the actual meaning gets lost. Those are so heavily reliant on culture that between two countries (or even different regions of the same country) that speak the same language, it’s common for slang to create confusion.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:21 am Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
Saku-dono wrote:
A lot claims there's no formula translating JP to EN fluently, but I disagree. I am a speaker of both languages and aside from local japanese puns, literal translation is possible, but again, there's a lot of influencers out there saying the otherwise and that is nothing short of misinforming people.

Disagree if you like, but between any two different languages, there are going to be things that defy literal translation, at least if you want a listener/reader in the second language to fully understand things. Aside from puns, slang and idioms in particular present difficulty: sure you can translate what is said pretty literally, but the actual meaning gets lost. Those are so heavily reliant on culture that between two countries (or even different regions of the same country) that speak the same language, it’s common for slang to create confusion.

Agreed completely.
Just because a literal translation is possible doesn't mean it is desirable.

The point is to convey the author or director's artistic intent. Many times, if not most of the time, a non-literal but true-to-spirit translation does a better job at that than a literal translation does..
Enturax

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:49 am Reply with quote
Then how do they manage to not cut the sound effects off??
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Shiflan wrote:
Just because a literal translation is possible doesn't mean it is desirable.

The point is to convey the author or director's artistic intent. Many times, if not most of the time, a non-literal but true-to-spirit translation does a better job at that than a literal translation does..

Indeed. A literal translation is just a recipe for the disaster known as "word soup". Wild Arms 2 is a prime example in gaming of a why a word for word translation just doesn't work. Not only does the entirety of the dialog read very stiff and odd, but a scene absolutely loaded with Japanese puns (the infamous scene between Ashley and Liz) just doesn't make sense to non-Japanese folks at all. The first Wild Arms didn't fare much better in they regard, and the same went for the Alter Code remake.

I would love it if Wild Arms 2 could get some kind of HD remake with a much more professional translation done that does something amazing with the Ashley and Liz comedy routine segment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5