• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sword Art Online Episode Censors More Content on U.S.-Based Streaming Services

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:39 pm Reply with quote
TheAnonymousUsual wrote:
I'm not sure that anyone's mentioned this, and perhaps it doesn't matter, but during this scene, in the context of the story, spoiler[Kirito is the only living, breathing human in the scene. The rest are bottom-up AIs. The perpetrators, victims, and Eugeo are all computer simulations using fluctlights. None of them are actual living, breathing people connected to an interface like an AmuSphere. So technically, it's just Kirito observing the behavior of a bunch of 1's and 0's in this simulation, perhaps wondering if the decision matrix will lead to a violation of the Taboo Index. Technically, it's a pure computer simulation of rape, with only one actual human observer.] Maybe that makes it more disturbing, though?

It all depends how you fell about it and if you are a spoiler[ religious person. All this Arc is about if fluctlights are 1s and 2s or if they are souls and if people of Underworld having souls makes them real people.
So if you think of they having souls makes them human, you can think]
they all are humans. All will be explained in the future.

Last edited by Jonny Mendes on Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:57 pm; edited 3 times in total
Key

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Shiflan wrote:
This is when things get difficult. If someone is allergic to peanuts, shall we ban those around them from eating peanut butter? How far do we take it, exactly? Some schools restrict students from bringing peanut-containing foods to school if someone in their class is allergic. Is that fair, when the ratio of people is 30:1? What about when the whole school can't have it because of one person and the ratio is 1000:1? What about if we ban it entirely and nobody can have peanuts? Where, exactly, does one draw the line? And at what point does a person stop becoming responsible for their own situation and it becomes others responsibility to do it for them?

When that one can have potentially life-threatening reactions to peanuts (which is, unfortunately, a real thing in some cases) then yes, that restriction/ban is absolutely warranted. That it's inconvenient or a nuisance for the others is irrelevant.

Now, whether or not the censorship issue is in the same boat as that is another story. You should probably give better thought as to what you're using for examples.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiflan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

When that one can have potentially life-threatening reactions to peanuts (which is, unfortunately, a real thing in some cases) then yes, that restriction/ban is absolutely warranted. That it's inconvenient or a nuisance for the others is irrelevant.

Now, whether or not the censorship issue is in the same boat as that is another story. You should probably give better thought as to what you're using for examples.

I thought carefully about that example. It was intentionally lethal. But you didn't answer the question: where do we draw the line? That was not rhetorical, I'm asking people to give me a number. I'm sure we all agree that inconveniencing one or two people because of someone's peanut allergy is a no-brainier. But how far do we take it? I want a number. Is it OK to inconvenience 1000 people for 1 with allergies? Ten thousand? A million? What about everyone on earth? Should we eradicate peanuts because some people are allergic to them?
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Shiflan wrote:
This is when things get difficult. If someone is allergic to peanuts, shall we ban those around them from eating peanut butter? How far do we take it, exactly? Some schools restrict students from bringing peanut-containing foods to school if someone in their class is allergic. Is that fair, when the ratio of people is 30:1? What about when the whole school can't have it because of one person and the ratio is 1000:1? What about if we ban it entirely and nobody can have peanuts? Where, exactly, does one draw the line? And at what point does a person stop becoming responsible for their own situation and it becomes others responsibility to do it for them?

...maybe the person should leave and eat somewhere else if they are allergic to the peanuts instead of bothering the other people who enjoy eating the peanuts.
BasketBalljones

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I feel like a possible solution for streaming sites would be this (assuming the studios/licensors/etc would agree to it, and provide both censored and uncensored versions of shows):

Have a profile setting (can even make it default to be safe) to only show censored versions of shows.

Have the option to edit profile setting to allow uncensored version of shows to be played.

Have a disclaimer for default setting stating that all shows with explicit/mature/etc content will come with a warning of the type of content prior to viewing.

Have a disclaimer for uncensored setting stating that all shows with explicit/mature/etc content will come with a generic content warning.

By having the safer settings be default, would help prevent people from being exposed to something they don't want to see, and for those who don't care, can easily just change the settings. Would prevent people from blaming whoever for showing or not showing something they didn't want/wanted to see, and they only have themselves to blame if they knowingly change the settings considering the disclaimers that come with them.

Obviously it's not perfect, but at least it gives people a choice, and while you might argue 'what about people that want to watch uncensored content but want a more defined description of the type of content in question?', I would argue that most people wanting those more detailed descriptions are people who would rather be watching a censored version of it anyways.

If you want to take it further, then give options in settings to allow what kind of content warnings you'll receive, and make it be something that the streaming site plays on its own based on your settings, prior to the video for the show playing. It would take work, yes, but I don't think it would be impossible to implement, I think it is a feasible solution that would help satisfy a majority of people.

Just trying to think of a constructive way to address the issue that would compromise for both sides. I dunno, maybe I'm just ignorant to how difficult it would actually be to do haha.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Shiflan wrote:

Anyone engaging in a business contract gets to make demands. That's the point of having a contract. Both sides do it. Now it is certainly true that not all of those demands may be agreed to and make their way into the final contact, but you absolutely can ask.

Quote:

But as to your second, I understood you to be making the assertion that content warnings led to more censored versions, which to me is a case of correlation rather than causation.

That sounds perfectly reasonable, yes. They're both symptoms of the same problem, one just just more severe than the other. Where there's smoke (warnings) there's fire (censorship).

[snip]

I have zero problems with warnings as long as they don't spoil the plot.
I blame whoever implements the censorship for that censorship. It's clearly not CR or Hulu's fault if Aniplex is the one who gave them a censored show. OTOH, the same logic could apply to CR or Hulu. It's possible that CR or Hulu, knowing that this was a hot button issue with a lot of awareness currently, contractually demanded that certain content be edited out. Whether or not that happened I have no idea, but if CR or hulu made the request then I would blame them. Right now we don't know who to blame which is why I haven't blamed anyone yet.

But like I said above, it's all symptoms of the same disease. It's not that warnings themselves cause censorship, it's that censorship is another step along the same path. Once we see the first step then we expect the 2nd to soon follow, which it did.

I think you're making a few leaps of logic here, not the least of which is that three separate licensing companies would even know/care about which episode/scene to target, or that Aniplex would even agree to such a weirdly outlandish request, which has only ever happened to Ghost Stories' dub, which was operating under wholly different circumstances and is notable for being a major exception, not the rule.

I think it's much more reasonable to assume that Aniplex either planned from the start to release a more censored version to the US, given how US fans as a whole have reacted negatively to assault-esque scenes in SAO in the past, or they were spurred by the reaction to Goblin Slayer to make major edits. But in either case, I sincerely doubt content warnings were at fault; I don't think Aniplex gives two flying figs about content warnings. I think they DO care about fan reaction, and in trying to head off Goblin Slayer 2.0, they instead pissed off their SAO fanbase when they realized they'd gotten an edited version.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:10 pm Reply with quote
BasketBalljones wrote:

Just trying to think of a constructive way to address the issue that would compromise for both sides. I dunno, maybe I'm just ignorant to how difficult it would actually be to do haha.

I applaud the fact that you want to be positive, but I honestly don't see a "problem" here at all. As I mentioned above, Anime-watching is a recreational activity. Nobody is being forced to watch it against their will. Nobody is being "exposed" to it by accident like, say, secondhand smoke. Therefore it's ALREADY a choice. There's no need to add more levels of choice because a choice already exists. People have to actively choose to watch anime.

If you are in a situation where you might honestly have problems if you were to see a violent, sexual, or other kind of triggering scene then it's on you to do your homework before you watch, the same way that a person with allergies needs to be vigilant about what they eat. What's so hard about that? I deal with my food allergies without expecting other people to shoulder that burden for me, so why can people who need to avoid violent anime scenes not do the same?
BasketBalljones

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Shiflan wrote:
BasketBalljones wrote:

I applaud the fact that you want to be positive, but I honestly don't see a "problem" here at all. As I mentioned above, Anime-watching is a recreational activity. Nobody is being forced to watch it against their will. Nobody is being "exposed" to it by accident like, say, secondhand smoke. Therefore it's ALREADY a choice. There's no need to add more levels of choice because a choice already exists. People have to actively choose to watch anime.

If you are in a situation where you might honestly have problems if you were to see a violent, sexual, or other kind of triggering scene then it's on you to do your homework before you watch, the same way that a person with allergies needs to be vigilant about what they eat. What's so hard about that? I deal with my food allergies without expecting other people to shoulder that burden for me, so why can people who need to avoid violent anime scenes not do the same?

I actually don't have a problem with any of it myself, and I don't like any kind of censorship, regardless of how other people feel about it. I was just trying to think of something that would be a reasonable solution that would satisfy all parties. If all I have to do is a one time only profile setting change to see things how I feel they're intended to be seen, and at the same time, it gives people who'd otherwise cry and complain about it the option to do something about it, then great, I'm all for it. That's more or less where I'm coming from, I don't personally disagree with your sentiment.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I think you're making a few leaps of logic here, not the least of which is that three separate licensing companies would even know/care about which episode/scene to target, or that Aniplex would even agree to such a weirdly outlandish request

I certainly am, yes. I'm just thinking about potential possibilities. And I don't think it's that unsual of a leap of logic either, especially given how much of a "trending" issue sexual violence onscreen is. I'm sure that's something that every media company on earth is concerned with to some degree or other. I didn't claim to have any facts, I'm just thinking about what might be before I point fingers. It's certainly possible that an American streaming service like CR pushed some kind of boilerplate language in their contract which limits what kind of content is restricted and what is not. As to why Aniplex or whomever might agree? Easy explanation: money. CR could say look, we're the biggest streaming platform around and we can pay you the most money. But if you want to be on our service, you have to play by these rules. Yes it's hypothetical but it's not unreasonable.

Quote:
I think it's much more reasonable to assume that Aniplex either planned from the start to release a more censored version to the US....

You may well be right. I'm just talking about possibilities, I don't know what actually happened.

Quote:
But in either case, I sincerely doubt content warnings were at fault; I don't think Aniplex gives two flying figs about content warnings. I think they DO care about fan reaction, and in trying to head off Goblin Slayer 2.0, they instead pissed off their SAO fanbase when they realized they'd gotten an edited version.

I'm not blaming content warnings either. Like I said earlier I never claimed that content warnings specifically caused censorship. Rather they are both symptoms of the same larger, problem: special snowflakes choosing to watch things that trigger them, then blaming others for that decision when it understandably goes south. First we saw warnings, then we saw censorship. In the future we'll see more of both, plus we'll hear about entire project cancellations and the censorship will become more invasive and more widespread.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Siegfriedl88 wrote:
...maybe the person should leave and eat somewhere else if they are allergic to the peanuts instead of bothering the other people who enjoy eating the peanuts.

I think you are missing the operative word "school" in that example.

Also, I've dealt with students who had such a bad problem that even eating in a different room wasn't enough. People like that are debilitated enough in where they can go, and there are disability laws which guarantee them access to schooling (at least in the U.S., anyway). So yeah, still a bad example.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Shiflan wrote:
I suspect there is some sort of contractual agreement between the streaming services / TV stations and the licensors which stipulates what level of content each one is willing to broadcast and the licensors supply "custom edits" for each one. T

(Late response to this point, but...)

That may be correct for the broadcasters to some extent (or perhaps more that the owner company knows what sort of things each channel takes, so knows how to cater to their needs) but I can tell you it isn't correct for the licensor services.
The owner company (in this case Aniplex) has control over the content, the licensors do not have power to state which version they want unless the owner company specifically asks, which in 99.9999999% of cases (included no doubt this one), they would never do as they don't really care. The hierarchy is
OWNER(ANIPLEX)
LICENSOR
so licensor can't make demands and have no control over supplied materials and really are just happy to get what they can get.

Shiflan wrote:
OTOH, the same logic could apply to CR or Hulu. It's possible that CR or Hulu, knowing that this was a hot button issue with a lot of awareness currently, contractually demanded that certain content be edited out. Whether or not that happened I have no idea, but if CR or hulu made the request then I would blame them.

It didn't happen, and don't blame them because they didn't cause this.

Shiflan wrote:
Right now we don't know who to blame which is why I haven't blamed anyone yet.

Blame Aniplex.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Echii wrote:
I hate censorship. They should at least make two versions so people can choose (i'm sure majority of people prefer to watch uncensored)
From what I have seen most of the people who promote censorship don't want there to be an option. That is why it is almost never about adding the option of having a censored version of a show since they know that most people would want to watch the uncensored version.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:18 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:

That may be correct for the broadcasters to some extent (or perhaps more that the owner company knows what sort of things each channel takes, so knows how to cater to their needs) but I can tell you it isn't correct for the licensor services.
The owner company (in this case Aniplex) has control over the content, the licensors do not have power to state which version they want unless the owner company specifically asks, which in 99.9999999% of cases (included no doubt this one), they would never do as they don't really care. The hierarchy is
OWNER(ANIPLEX)
LICENSOR
so licensor can't make demands and have no control over supplied materials and really are just happy to get what they can get.

Your terms are a bit off. The owner is the licensor. They can decide who they license things to.
The company who gets the content, such as Crunchyroll or Hulu, is the licensee.

Again, anybody can ASK. Whether or not they are given what they ask for is en entirely different question. A licensee can ask the licensor for whatever they feel like. The licensor doesn't have to give in, but if there is sufficient money involved they could choose to do so.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
Echii wrote:
I hate censorship. They should at least make two versions so people can choose (i'm sure majority of people prefer to watch uncensored)
From what I have seen most of the people who promote censorship don't want there to be an option. That is why it is almost never about adding the option of having a censored version of a show since they know that most people would want to watch the uncensored version.

I think having both the censored and uncensored versions as options is something of a logistical nightmare, especially for TV stations. I mean, which do you broadcast? If you're an overseas licensee, would you even get that option or do you just take what you can get (spoiler: it's always the latter). From how the industry as a whole works, uncensored versions are something of a gimmick and an incentive to get viewers to buy physical copies. Want the whole enchilada? Get ready to pony up. Twisted Evil
CatSword

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:23 pm Reply with quote
One of the English voice actors for SAO said Toonami was likely hesitant to air GGO because of its light treatment of gun violence. (This is just one statement from someone who may or may not know what they're talking about. Don't come after me if GGO does manage to get on Toonami.)

I guess Alicization is out as well. Jason DeMarco will take one look at that scene, even censored, and run for the hills.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8