• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Theron Martin's Best (and Worst) of 2006

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaladinBlue

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:53 pm Reply with quote
bleuster wrote:
Boogiepop novels has already been released in the States by Seven Seas. The first two, at least.

Or are you telling me that there is another set of the Boogiepop series I have to hunt down?

New Boogiepop novels are still being printed in Japan (source: Seven Seas' Boogiepop timeline located in Boogiepop Returne VS Imaginator Part 2), and Seven Seas recently started releasing the Boogiepop Dual manga, as well. You're a long way off from finishing Boogiepop (as are the rest of us).

So far, Seven Seas has released "and Others" and the two "Returns VS Imaginator" volumes. I haven't found a release for the fourth novel, but it's likely inevitable.

Quote:
Runner-Up: “Sock Puppet Theater” Easter Egg on Madlax vol. 6

The pop-up notes are back! Utterly indispensable for fully appreciating the series, but be prepared to use your Pause button a lot. The runner-up was chosen for how delightfully it skewers both the series and English vocal cast, especially Chris Patton.

Agreed. Sock Puppet Theatre never fails to make me laugh like a maniac. For that matter, the same goes for most of the Conversations with SSS (early ones, mostly, some of the later ones are just not funny).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
omnistry

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:02 pm Reply with quote
“Little Wings” by JAM Project is an all right song; but it is so wrong for "Scrapped Princess." It's too, um, family sitcom-ish. Can you say "Scrapped Princess was filmed in front of a live studio audience"? I thought so.

"Lonely in Gorgeous" by Tommy february6 is my choice for winner. Not only did it fit "Paradise Kiss," but it should also be an anthem for lonely fame.
Angel_Trainee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:41 pm Reply with quote
wow now I'm intrested in watching Gankutsuou now and yeah I would like to see more anime-related novels too. Anime smile
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:46 pm Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
“Little Wings” by JAM Project is an all right song; but it is so wrong for "Scrapped Princess." It's too, um, family sitcom-ish. Can you say "Scrapped Princess was filmed in front of a live studio audience"? I thought so.

"Lonely in Gorgeous" by Tommy february6 is my choice for winner. Not only did it fit "Paradise Kiss," but it should also be an anthem for lonely fame.

Can't agree with you on the former. I thought the lyrics were a great representation of the title character's attitude on life, and the somber visuals deny any possible "sitcom-y" feel. (Like a lot of Japanese programming, though, its openers in the original broadcasts did end with "sponsored by" or "brought to you by" notices, so some of that feel is inescapable with any series.) It's one of the very few openers that I almost never skip, and I've watched that series several times.

As for the latter? It is a good opener, and I did seriously consider mentioning it. I just like the other ones a little better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ranma824

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Hey key!

Good breakdown! Although I haven't seen your pick of the year, I've never heard anything bad about it. Looks like I'll have to borrow it from a friend! Smile

Anyway, here's my only tidbit: As far as openings go, did you like KOTOKO's "Re-sublimity" opening for Kannazuki no Miko? I thought it would at least make an honorable mention.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:40 am Reply with quote
Zac: I was referring to it being "unofficially" licensed, not downloads.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Case wrote:
(My opinion? Judging by your willingness to pigeonhole the show as "moe crap", I'd say you suffer from the very same debilitating bias. Not surprising when you have a review staff that propagates it.)

Uhh, ther person you're responding to isn't ANN staff.

But since this has been brought up... Much of our staff does have a problem with the way that the anime industry currently panders to moe fans.

This despite the fact that some of us like moe.

But fact is, whenever any entertainment industry panders to a group of extreme fans, the resultant product is almost always crap.

There are lots of good moe shows out there, I happen to like a few of them, and ANN has positively reviewed a few of them. But given the fact that so many shows have been made to pander, it's no surprise that many of them aren't very good.

If you're a hardcore moe fan, might I suggest that perhaps your bias has blinded you?

-t
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:19 am Reply with quote
awww man. no props for speed grapher?? id say that show has the best dub by far. also that recap episode in the 4th volume was pretty neat.
murph76

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:03 am Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
awww man. no props for speed grapher?? id say that show has the best dub by far. also that recap episode in the 4th volume was pretty neat.

Well, not quite. Christopher Sabat did get an honorable mention in the Best Individual Dub Performance - Male category for his Saiga in Speed Grapher
Professor Genius

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:33 am Reply with quote
Quote:
And Bandai, surely you can come up with some better way to handle your dubs than farming them out to the hack Singapore operation known as Odex Pointe Limited?

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, the dubs for the aforementioned hack jobs (Dan Doh!! and Fantastic Children) existed prior to Bandai's acquisition of those series and were originally aired on Animax in Hong Kong. While I wish they had chosen to re-record those dubs those particular titles probably wouldn't sell well anyways. Better a craptastic dub than no dub at all.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who thought the Green Green dub was awful, but the show itself wasn't much better. Its pretty sad when the only thing worthwhile for an anime was its music (the open/close and music videos in the extras). Makes me wish I hadn't bothered renting it!

Can't we at least get the names pronounced right these days? Not just Green Green, but even studios like ADV (with the mispronunciation of "Tsukamoto" in Comic Party Revolution) and NYAV Post (with the title character's name in Midori Days). Am I being too picky?

Also, The Count of Monte Cristo is one of my all time favorite novels, but am I the only one bothered by the unique artwork style? By the time I finished the first episode, I had such a massive headache!
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:57 pm Reply with quote
snl67 wrote:
Also, The Count of Monte Cristo is one of my all time favorite novels, but am I the only one bothered by the unique artwork style? By the time I finished the first episode, I had such a massive headache!

Although it didn't bother me, don't worry, that was the most common complaint people had about it.

I'm glad Gakutsuou was chosen, i love that series. One of the rare series that forced me to marathon it. (thank goodness I bought the DVDs after they were all released, I would've died from waiting)

I loved that Hare+Guu got reconized too, I love that show, but I don't see much stuff on it on the internet (i.e. very few fansites).

Key wrote:
Character Most in Need of Medication: Hare, Haré + Guu

I second that.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:21 pm Reply with quote
snl67 wrote:
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who thought the Green Green dub was awful, but the show itself wasn't much better. Its pretty sad when the only thing worthwhile for an anime was its music (the open/close and music videos in the extras). Makes me wish I hadn't bothered renting it!

Can't we at least get the names pronounced right these days? Not just Green Green, but even studios like ADV (with the mispronunciation of "Tsukamoto" in Comic Party Revolution) and NYAV Post (with the title character's name in Midori Days). Am I being too picky?
*agrees on the Green Green dub*, and that was an example of a bad show with an even worse dub. I still haven't watched Fantastic Children (Key's right, it's cheap; I didn't pay more than $15 for any DVD except the first that came with the soundtrack), so I don't know about that dub. Kind of a shame though, as it could've gotten more exposure and popularity with a good dub. FC is up for marathoning when I go out of town this weekend, so I'll sample the dub then. But if it's so bad that even dub fans go running in terror, we're talking Love Hina territory here. And I'm also glad I'm not the only one who cares about name pronunciations. They've gotten better, but some companies still have a ways to go.

I sort of saw many of the main picks coming, either from last year's article or comments from Key on the forums over in various threads.

English dubs:Sean Schemmel is certifiably golden as Onsokumaru; I've been watching odd-numbered episodes in English, even-numbered episodes in Japanese for Ninja Nonsense, and lol-ed most of the time, no small thanks to Schemmel's performance. I've only sampled a few episodes of the Kodocha dub, but Laura Bailey handles the challenges of the role pretty well. I've seen almost half of Desert Punk, and I don't really plan on re-watching it in Japanese--the dub is so hilarious and well-done that it becomes one of the main reasons to actually watch Desert Punk. (If it were an unlicensed series available only as fansubs, I would've skipped it.)
And yes, episode 12 of Ghost Stories makes for an uncomfortable watch in English, especially spoiler[at the end where they read their mom's letter, and the English version has, "Well, they're shooting me up with more morphine now, so I guess I'd better go" and other junk like that.] Episodes 12 and 20 (the last episode) were the most emotionally meaningful episodesin Ghost Stories,, and while ADV"s parody dub pulled things off in #20, #12 was a miss.

Princess Tutu: Obviously I really need to watch this, having picked up the DVDs in Rightstuf's ADV sale. With the year's best music and powerful emotional moments, I'm sure I'll love it.

Pint-sized teachers: To be honest, the genius teacher schtick hasn't gotten old to me yet, perhaps because I find a lot of amusement in the antics of the girls in the classes in both Negima and PaniPoni Dash. Or with PPD, I'm too busy reading those wonderful notes and all the onscreen text to be annoyed. I've actually found it more efficient to watch PPD in English audio so I can balance the incoming information between visual and aural processing centers. And speaking of extras, I'm seriously considering getting just DVD 6 of Madlax just so I can see the sock puppet scene, even though I really didn't like the series overall. (Actually, I'll probably grab all the single DVDs when the thinpack comes out, but only out of guilt.)

Licensing announcement: I'd make the case for Super Gals! Season 2. MoHS is, to be sure, a wildly popular series and the annoucment gimmicks were a lot of fun, but everybody and their mom knew that a licensing announcement would come at some point from somebody. SGS2, on the other hand, was something that people had been hoping for for years, fearing that it would be lost in licensing limbo forever and not knowing who between ADV and everyone else would get it. Of course, if fansubs had been distributed for the second season (they were stopped after episode 10 of Season 1), I'd imagine most fans would've been content without the licensing.

I don't know if UFO Ultramaiden Valkyrie really is the dumbest series of the year, given how many I didn't see. All I know is that I could be DLing it with a few clicks of the mouse, and I choose not to, because it doesn't even seem like it's worth stealing and watching for free.

Lastly, a question for Key, in case he took the time to read all these lengthy ramblings Embarassed What would be the best Romance/Drama series of 2006, in case I missed one or two? Obviously, Rumbling Hearts is more of a 2007 title, and I don't know if any match up to Koi Kaze from last year. I get the feeling that 2006 wasn't a great year for this genre, but there were some released in 2006 like Boys Be, Diamond Daydreams, and Nanaka 6/17 (which is a generally comedic series that pulls out some pretty powerful moments), and others like My-Hime and Kannazuki no Miko that had more of an action element to them.

And to punctuate all this off with a little something:
2000th Post Anime smile
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Lastly, a question for Key, in case he took the time to read all these lengthy ramblings Embarassed What would be the best Romance/Drama series of 2006, in case I missed one or two? Obviously, Rumbling Hearts is more of a 2007 title, and I don't know if any match up to Koi Kaze from last year. I get the feeling that 2006 wasn't a great year for this genre, but there were some released in 2006 like Boys Be, Diamond Daydreams, and Nanaka 6/17 (which is a generally comedic series that pulls out some pretty powerful moments), and others like My-Hime and Kannazuki no Miko that had more of an action element to them.

I skipped that category this time around because no romance-oriented series stood out that strongly in 2006 - especially not on the level of a Koi Kaze (in 2005) or Saikano (in 2004). With only one volume out in 2006, it's too early to tell on Rumbling Hearts.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
And to punctuate all this off with a little something:
2000th Post Anime smile
Wonderful! Have a peanut.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4