• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Interspecies Reviewers Anime's Japanese Tokyo MX Airing Canceled

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:26 am Reply with quote
donhumberto wrote:
+ 1000. This really only goes to show the absolutely moronic (and creepy AF) highs (or lows) many anime fans are willing to reach nowadays. Oh, well, I guess years and years of most shows being nothing but creepy otaku pandering trash are starting to pay off.. Rolling Eyes

A good show always sells. It's genuinely funny, the characters are likable, it doesn't pull its punches and the art and animation is good. There is no reason to expect it not to.
DeceptiTom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:31 am Reply with quote
Yeah. I'm all for fanservice/ecchi anime.

This show should have been an OVA series, not a tv series. As much as I enjoy it, I can understand its content is a bit too much for tv. There's a time and place for this kind of content and its called OVA
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:36 am Reply with quote
#895229 wrote:

This show should have been an OVA series, not a tv series. As much as I enjoy it, I can understand its content is a bit too much for tv. There's a time and place for this kind of content and its called OVA

Not really, that is what streaming is for.
Hal14

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:41 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
donhumberto wrote:
+ 1000. This really only goes to show the absolutely moronic (and creepy AF) highs (or lows) many anime fans are willing to reach nowadays. Oh, well, I guess years and years of most shows being nothing but creepy otaku pandering trash are starting to pay off.. Rolling Eyes

A good show always sells. It's genuinely funny, the characters are likable, it doesn't pull its punches and the art and animation is good. There is no reason to expect it not to.

First of all, that depends on whether you consider the show good or not; haven't watched it so i'm not saying either.
Second, good shows have had poor sales before. Of course it depends on what is being sold. DVDs just don't sell like they used to so i doubt any amount of streisand effect will change that especially with the uncensored version available on pirate sites. Maybe, the manga might sell better. Is it currently being sold outside the east?
DeceptiTom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:45 am Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
#895229 wrote:

Not really, that is what streaming is for.

Japan isnt like the west with its streaming services. Anime is primarily delivered to them in three ways. TV, OVA discs, and movies with streaming services as an afterthought for delivery. I've not heard of a streaming only anime in japan. And from what I've heard, Nico Nico's service subscriptions has slowed considerably. Physical Media is the number 1 way still, so OVA
BronyOtakuLT

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:47 am Reply with quote
trunkschan90 wrote:
So even for Japan it's too hentai for TV Laughing

Well just that one network as its still airing on other networks.
FiendHunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:48 am Reply with quote
Where are those people claiming it's all the FeMiNiSt'S fAuLt? You still gonna pull that out? Rolling Eyes This show is clearly problematic for a broadcast. I don't see the problem when it's released as OVAs, but it just crossed the line. If you like it, that's fine, just stop pretending there's absoltely no issue with its content.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:49 am Reply with quote
#895229 wrote:

Well, wouldn't have been simpler to just restrict all Japanese TV viewings of this show to some Japanese equivalent of Skinemax?
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:58 am Reply with quote
HAL14 wrote:
Is it currently being sold outside the east?

Yes, Yen Press. Two volumes out.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:01 am Reply with quote
Isn't review bombing mostly referred to negative scores? Since the average score is about 7 or so, it's a lot easier to decrease a aggregate score than to increase it. That said, while the people spamming 10 on the MAL page are probably overrating it for the fun of it, they probably at least genuinely like the show if they went through the trouble of spamming positive reviews. It's like how no one gets review bombed unless they slighted the customer somehow. Most people aren't going to go through the trouble unless they really hate it. I don't use MAL, but I enjoy the show enough to genuinely rate it a 9.

mangamuscle wrote:
changes in the circumstances within Tokyo Metropolitan Television

This is a clear reference to the Tokyo Metropolitan Ordinance Regarding the Healthy Development of Youths.

The only thing I would like to know if this was a case of self censorship or if someone in the government contacted a Tokyo MX executive and said the series should be removed.

Most likely, that stuff won't be revealed. There are times when the government censors something, and they explicitly tell the company that they can't reveal that the government prompted the censorship. Still, the other tv networks don't seem deterred and if nothing else, there's AT-X.

Last edited by encrypted12345 on Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:06 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:

A good show always sells.

Watamote sold less than a thousand copies per disc.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:06 am Reply with quote
#895229 wrote:
I've not heard of a streaming only anime in japan.

Established franchises that make the majority of their money off of merchandise have been experimenting with streaming-only shows. Off the top of my head:

- Saint Seiya: Soul of Gold

- Beyblade Burst

- the first season of Sailor Moon: Crystal (although it was rebroadcast a year later on TV)

- SD Gundam Sangoku Soketsuden

- Today's Menu for the Emiya Family (a Fate spinoff)
donhumberto

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:17 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
donhumberto wrote:

Sorry but I had to LOL big time at your comment that good shows always sell. I could literally give you hundreds of examples of great shows with terrible sales. Then again, if you think I. Reviewers is a good show then I guess that's the end of this conversation then...
Hal14

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:27 am Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
Isn't review bombing mostly referred to negative scores? Since the average score is about 7 or so, it's a lot easier to decrease a aggregate score than to increase it. That said, while the people spamming 10 on the MAL page are probably overrating it for the fun of it, they probably at least genuinely like the show if they went through the trouble of spamming positive reviews. It's like how no one gets review bombed unless they slighted the customer somehow. Most people aren't going to go through the trouble unless they really hate it. I don't use MAL, but I enjoy the show enough to genuinely rate it a 9.

Review bombing is primarily negative scores, although some examples of +ve bomb exist. Also, when making an account only requires a few minutes and little else, there isn't much 'trouble' to review bombing a product, plus bots are a thing. Finally, what exactly counts as 'slighting' a customer? Astral chain was initially review bombed on Metacritic for being a switch exclusive. Is that a genuine slight?
https://comicbook.com/gaming/2019/09/01/astral-chain-review-bombed-nintendo-switch-exclusive/
A lot outrage seems genuine, but there are also those raging against FUNI, or 'cancel culture' or 'Feminazis'. It only takes a couple hundred people to be angry and dedicated enough to change a review score like this. Why most don't is because it will eventually be changed back but these people are angry enough that they don't care (or don't know), so when stuff like this happens it's only honest reviewers, like you, that get affected because your scores will be drowned in a sea of 1s and 10s
brtt150

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:48 am Reply with quote
Just want to point out Amazon has to pull it because they sourced the show from Funimation.

Also plenty of sources in Japan still are airing this. No bubble has been burst and lewd ecchi will continue on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6