• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Content Overseas Distribution Association to Publish 16 Anti-Piracy Manga in English

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:35 am Reply with quote
Not the first time they're doing something like this - remember the "No More Movie Thief" campaign

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PrmW6lNZX0

AkumaChef

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:43 am Reply with quote
marshmallowpie wrote:

I can't believe the comments on here are still like this, in "the current year". It'd be one thing if you pirated and didn't say anything about it, but openly acting so entitled just makes you look like a child.

One does not have to engage in piracy themselves to see the absurdity of the situation "in the current year" because all one has to do is look to other industries which have faced and solved similar problems. Online MP3 sharing (e.g. Napster) threatened to decimate the music industry, yet the industry responded by creating a legal, reasonably priced, method of distributing music online which largely solved the piracy issue. It boggles my mind that the manga industry has not done the same. That is an observation that anyone can make regardless if they pirate or not.

AJ (LordNikon) is exactly right here: so long as a reasonably priced and widely available distribution method is lacking there will be no end to piracy. It's no different than the music situation with Napster, etc, 20 years ago.

I don't pirate manga or anime. Back when I got into this fandom--the 1990's--we didn't have the wide availability of translated works that we do today. I quickly watched the handful of translated anime that Blockbuster had, read the handful of Dark Horse licensed manga and moved on to importing LDs and manga straight from Japan. I understood them with the help of a Kanji dictionary and a Japanese-English dictionary. After years of doing that my Japanese is decent enough that I can watch the average anime or read the average manga without the need for translation. This means I have no desire to pirate anything as I can simply buy the Japanese release....yet I still feel it is absurd that the Manga industry is still fighting this problem when other industries fixed it years ago. Not everyone can afford to import Japanese media or has the time to translate it themselves. It is obvious that those people will find a way to get what they want, so best make it a legal option which puts some money back in the pockets of the original creators rather than allowing piracy to persist by trying to fight an unwinnable battle to get people to cease and desist.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:55 am Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:
One does not have to engage in piracy themselves to see the absurdity of the situation "in the current year" because all one has to do is look to other industries which have faced and solved similar problems. Online MP3 sharing (e.g. Napster) threatened to decimate the music industry, yet the industry responded by creating a legal, reasonably priced, method of distributing music online which largely solved the piracy issue. It boggles my mind that the manga industry has not done the same. That is an observation that anyone can make regardless if they pirate or not.

I think it's worth noting with this point, however, that artists themselves claim that the music services available that are cheap to the consumers usually make them very very little money.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:08 am Reply with quote
Don't know about that. I have purchased individual songs and albums online. Album prices seem to be fairly equivalent to prices at a retail store. Minor deviations can be attributed to the manufacturing cost to make the physical medium.

Complaints of their profit seem to be a matter of contract negotiations rather than a consumer issue.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:11 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:

I think it's worth noting with this point, however, that artists themselves claim that the music services available that are cheap to the consumers usually make them very very little money.

I'm very curious how those numbers compare to what artists got from back in the days before online distribution since I recall reading the very same thing about vinyl records and CDs before online music became a thing.

This is a topic which has come up for discussion here many times, and as I've mentioned in prior threads I an very interested to see if anyone has done a formal study on this. Obviously the two extremes are not correct: I'm sure we all agree that the idea that 1 download = 1 lost sale is absurd. And likewise I'm sure we all agree that it's absurd to claim that piracy results in zero lost sales. The real truth lies somewhere in the middle and I'd REALLY love to read a formal, academic, study on the subject so we can talk about this with facts in hand rather than trying to guess.
NamesAreForFriends

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:56 am Reply with quote
I look forward to also reading these manga on the scandalation sites.
Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3