• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- [2020-07-13]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stilldemented

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Showsni wrote:
One thing I don't think has ever been made clear (unless I missed it) is why Subaru is so knowledgeable about astronomy. Was he really into it as a kid or something?

Might be pulling this from thin air, but I think Subaru mentioned in the Memory Snow Ova that since he was named after a star, he took an interest in them.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Showsni wrote:
Dr.N0 wrote:
Betelgeuse, Regulus, Subaru, and Aldebaran! I feel so stupid now.

One thing I don't think has ever been made clear (unless I missed it) is why Subaru is so knowledgeable about astronomy. Was he really into it as a kid or something? You tell me "What do you know about Baten Kaitos?" and I say "Wasn't that a game on the Gamecube?" not "Ah yes, from the Arabic for Belly of the Whale, a binary star in the constellation of Cetus."

I don't think it's ever been said it's something he's knowledgeable about? But even if he was, he knows he's named after a cluster of stars, so I don't think it's a stretch that he might want to do research on the subject just out of curiosity.
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:10 am Reply with quote
Its worth noting that Subaru hasn't actually made the connections yet. The only Archbishop he's canonical met and knows the name of is Petelgeuse. He only knows the others by their seat in the cult.
John the Dark Lord

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:40 pm Reply with quote
stilldemented wrote:
Might be pulling this from thin air, but I think Subaru mentioned in the Memory Snow Ova that since he was named after a star, he took an interest in them.

Not just in the OVA, in a side story too. Rem If has Subaru explaining it himself. After he found out he was named after the Pleiades, he started researching more about stars and constellations as a hobby, and also started using star names for a lot of stuff, like passwords and online nicknames. And, in this continuity, naming his children too. His first child with Rem was a boy he named Rigel (though he also considered naming him Vega). Then they had a girl named Spica.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:41 pm Reply with quote
I don't think we know for sure if Emilia failed her trial. She was unconscious on the floor, yes, but from the looks of things the same thing happened to Subaru as well. That he woke up in his room rather than just suddenly warping there is evidence of that. I think attempting the trial just knocks you out for whatever reason and transports you to the trial location.

I should also correct mistake the subs made. At 4:05, Echidna says something to the effect of "using the Envy Witch Factor", but A. It's supposed to be the Sloth Witch Factor (she even says "Taida" which translates to Sloth) and B. She didn't "use" it. The liquid Subaru drank reacted to it. Nearly that entire line is awkwardly translated.

So no, she didn't give him any Witch Factor, and the only one we know is inside of him is Sloth, as she stated. She just did *something* to the one that he has.

Last edited by ThatGuyWhoLikesThings on Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:12 pm; edited 3 times in total
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:06 pm Reply with quote
I find it amusing that the witches are named after legendary monsters and evil gods but the way their actions are described are more ambiguous.

I also think Subaru as a character was kind of dumb for not taking advantage of the offer for knowledge. Yes, from the meta view, it makes a better story but this feels like it adds to the feeling of Subaru being a moron.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Izanagi009 wrote:
I also think Subaru as a character was kind of dumb for not taking advantage of the offer for knowledge. Yes, from the meta view, it makes a better story but this feels like it adds to the feeling of Subaru being a moron.

The last time he saw Emilia, she was unconscious and possibly in danger as a result. Subaru has every reason to go find her and check on her as quickly as possible, and that meant turning down Echidna's offer. Besides, he said himself he planned to come back.
OrdepNM

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
We're told that the Sanctuary is a place for half-bloods, and that only Emilia has the qualifications to undertake the trial to free all remaining Arlam village residents that Garfiel is keeping hostage.

Just a correction, everyone who is of mixed blood can take the trials. To quote Garfiel: "The only way to break the barrier is to go through the graveyard's trial, but if anyone who isn't of mixed blood tries it... *gestures towards Roswal*". He does also say that "The only one allowed to undergo the trial is you (Emilia)" but that is perceded by "This is our demand", so it's not really an issue of qualification.

Quote:
After all of her talk about proving herself and becoming a reliable person, she fails in a completely anticlimactic manner, without even a hint of her struggles being shown.

Well, the exact same thing happened to Subaru and we didn't see him fail, so we're getting ahead of ourselves here, but that's kind of a recurring theme for this series no? Just because you make grandiose statements on one ocassion, doesn't mean you magically become ready to take on all challengers, Subaru went through something similar last time when he repeatedly bit way more than he could chew. Emilia took the responsibility for freeing the Sanctuary despite not even knowing what the trials entail because she didn't have a choice and she's predisposed to selflesness anyway, but in ReZero conviction is rarely the deciding factor.

I will agree that Emilia ending the episode fainted twice in a roll is an unfortunate consequence of the natural stopping point for the episodes.

Izanagi009 wrote:

That's only something you can say in hindsight, when you know that his people are literally just outside the spot where he passed out and they're fine, and on the assumption that time is frozen while he's talking with Echidna. When he last saw them Emilia had just dropped to the ground out of the blue and he never got to check on her condition. He just lost Rem to things happening when he was looking the other way, it's understandable that he isn't inclined to take chances .To pull some book knowledge tough, in the source material he did try asking about the sanctuary but Echidna readily admitted to not knowing anything from after her death, so since he wasn't exactly interested in deep lore, he left.
John the Dark Lord

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Normally I try to not compare the anime with the source material as much as possible, but I think there is one fragment of Subaru's talk with Echidna that was left out in the anime that should be explained. Mostly because I've seen many… let’s say "heated", comments in other places regarding Subaru’s refusal to ask anything.

In the LN Subaru did try asking something: if Echidna knows anything about the Archbishops of Sin. His intent, of course, was to save Rem. But turns out Echidna hadn't even heard the term Archbishops of Sin before. Because her soul can’t leave her tomb, the only source of information she has about what's been happening in the world since her death are the very rare visitors. She may have truly learned everything there is to learn in the world, but she is referring to the world of 400 years ago, when she was still alive.

Subaru lost interest pretty quickly because of that. Echidna can tell you anything about magic, the other dead witches, the lore of the world and other stuff that didn't change with time, but what he wants to know is how to save his friends who are in danger right now.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:13 pm Reply with quote
John the Dark Lord wrote:
Normally I try to not compare the anime with the source material as much as possible, but I think there is one fragment of Subaru's talk with Echidna that was left out in the anime that should be explained. Mostly because I've seen many… let’s say "heated", comments in other places regarding Subaru’s refusal to ask anything.

In the LN Subaru did try asking something: if Echidna knows anything about the Archbishops of Sin. His intent, of course, was to save Rem. But turns out Echidna hadn't even heard the term Archbishops of Sin before. Because her soul can’t leave her tomb, the only source of information she has about what's been happening in the world since her death are the very rare visitors. She may have truly learned everything there is to learn in the world, but she is referring to the world of 400 years ago, when she was still alive.

Subaru lost interest pretty quickly because of that. Echidna can tell you anything about magic, the other dead witches, the lore of the world and other stuff that didn't change with time, but what he wants to know is how to save his friends who are in danger right now.

To add onto this, there was a strong chance he would've forgotten anything he learned even if he did ask, so it probably wouldn't have mattered regardless.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:21 pm Reply with quote
OrdepNM wrote:
Quote:
We're told that the Sanctuary is a place for half-bloods, and that only Emilia has the qualifications to undertake the trial to free all remaining Arlam village residents that Garfiel is keeping hostage.

Just a correction, everyone who is of mixed blood can take the trials. To quote Garfiel: "The only way to break the barrier is to go through the graveyard's trial, but if anyone who isn't of mixed blood tries it... *gestures towards Roswal*". He does also say that "The only one allowed to undergo the trial is you (Emilia)" but that is perceded by "This is our demand", so it's not really an issue of qualification.

Quote:
After all of her talk about proving herself and becoming a reliable person, she fails in a completely anticlimactic manner, without even a hint of her struggles being shown.

Well, the exact same thing happened to Subaru and we didn't see him fail, so we're getting ahead of ourselves here, but that's kind of a recurring theme for this series no? Just because you make grandiose statements on one ocassion, doesn't mean you magically become ready to take on all challengers, Subaru went through something similar last time when he repeatedly bit way more than he could chew. Emilia took the responsibility for freeing the Sanctuary despite not even knowing what the trials entail because she didn't have a choice and she's predisposed to selflesness anyway, but in ReZero conviction is rarely the deciding factor.

I will agree that Emilia ending the episode fainted twice in a roll is an unfortunate consequence of the natural stopping point for the episodes.

Izanagi009 wrote:

That's only something you can say in hindsight, when you know that his people are literally just outside the spot where he passed out and they're fine, and on the assumption that time is frozen while he's talking with Echidna. When he last saw them Emilia had just dropped to the ground out of the blue and he never got to check on her condition. He just lost Rem to things happening when he was looking the other way, it's understandable that he isn't inclined to take chances .To pull some book knowledge tough, in the source material he did try asking about the sanctuary but Echidna readily admitted to not knowing anything from after her death, so since he wasn't exactly interested in deep lore, he left.

Note Garfiel is unaware nor was privileged to conversation between Subaru and Echidona where she granted Subaru right to take trials. In WN and LN, Suburu interacted with Echidona more than he did in anime so far. This may be case of brevity because this is longest arc in entire series.
OrdepNM

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:38 pm Reply with quote
AJ (LordNikon) wrote:
Note Garfiel is unaware nor was privileged to conversation between Subaru and Echidona where she granted Subaru right to take trials. In WN and LN, Suburu interacted with Echidona more than he did in anime so far. This may be case of brevity because this is longest arc in entire series.

Yes, unbeknownst to everyone (even Subaru himself, the conversation with Echidna was erased from his mind), Subaru bypasses the requirements by receiving a direct invitation from Echidna, but the point is that I've already seen alot of people who got the impression that only Emilia is being given the qualification to take the trial (besides Subaru) and that's not accurate, even by the text of the episode.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:41 pm Reply with quote
AJ (LordNikon) wrote:
In WN and LN, Suburu interacted with Echidona more than he did in anime so far. This may be case of brevity because this is longest arc in entire series.

In the LN, their conversation wasn't that much longer. It was more or less the same dialogue, just slightly streamlined. The scene in the WN does go on for much longer, but the WN is just different in general. Certain events and dialogues happen in a different order.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:17 pm Reply with quote
One detail that I haven't seen mentioned here yet that caught my attention: in Subaru's room in Japan, all of his figma were silver-haired female characters. Granted, Emilia is a gentle beauty who could easily catch the eye of someone unaware and/or uncaring about how she's supposed to look like the Witch of Envy, but perhaps this is a suggestion that she is Subaru's "type" even besides that? Love seeing little details like that worked in.

I ended up completely watching this episode twice, and my favorite moment both times was Echidna's flustered reaction when Subaru didn't play along on asking questions. Very suspiciously reminiscent of Emilia's. Also have to think that the similarities of her appearance to Emilia (despite Echidna not having a half-elf's ears) isn't a coincidence.

And yeah, the ambiguity of how the witches are named vs. how they are described is also quite interesting, especially with Roswaal's insistence about using the name Echidna instead of Witch of Greed figured in. I kinda suspected from the first season that there was more to the witches than has been revealed so far, and evidence seems to be mounting about skewed historical perspective. That's also a trait I like seeing explored.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Frog-kun
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:09 pm Reply with quote
I went ahead and tweaked some of the wording in episode 3's review based on the discussion here.

Instead of saying that Echidna used the Witch Factor specifically, I just kept the line to "she laced Subaru's tea." I don't have time right now to confirm the line and whether it was mistrabslated right now but I will do it after this.

I added the clarification that Emilia, as a half-elf, is the only character among the visitors who can take the trial, as the previous implication was that she was the only character in the entire story who could do it.

I changed the wording to "gets incapacitated" rather than failing the trail to leave open the very real possibility that there was some kind of outside interference. The strong implication from how the characters reacted to the light going out is that this only happens if the candidate failed or something messed up with the trial itself. My feelings about the abruptness of this scene still stand, though.

I'm still catching up with the light novels, and I don't want to make these episode reviews about source material comparisons, but I appreciate the people who pointed out that Subaru became disinterested in the conversation with Echidna after realising that her knowledge is dated and she knows nothing about the Sin Archbishops.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 47