• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Otherside Picnic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Curiously, the new character introduced this episode will have a role involving the the tobacco-harvester that got delivered in this episode.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I found this to be a genuinely creepy episode, probably because they did not show the otherside monster until the final few minutes.

I expect rescuing the Marines from Kisaragi Station is going to take two episodes, and they moved it to the end of the season so the series can go out with a bang.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:19 pm Reply with quote
I have to say it's never a good sign that Sorawo thinks Toriko is only close to her just because Sorawo reminds her of Setsuna. Laughing

I do find it rather odd that the girls just realized that "yeah, maybe we should save the Marines." I, too, wonder if this going to be the cut off point for the anime after they do help them out.
John the Dark Lord

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the hat disappear when thet came back from the beach at the Otherside? And talking about things disappearing and appearing, our girls were casually walking on the street with just their bags when they entered the Otherside this time, where did those big guns came from?
Florete

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:29 pm Reply with quote
John the Dark Lord wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the hat disappear when thet came back from the beach at the Otherside?

That happened in the novel. I don't remember if it happened in the anime, but I assume it didn't.

(For anyone confused, the beach episode comes after the rescue operation in the novel)
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:32 pm Reply with quote
The chronology is different from the novels, I assume for production reasons and to make the series visually more dramatic.

In the novels, they return immediately (like the next day) to rescue the Marines --- there's a hint of that in this episode, when the Marines say they've been gone for a long time, and Sorawo and Tokiko react with surprise and one says "Time must pass differently between the real world and the Otherside".

That's how the novels have them end up in Okinawa for the beach episode --- the Americans entered the Otherside somewhere in Okinawa, and "the girls" guided them back through their original entrance.

But let's face it, a beach episode and Ninja Cats would be pretty anti-climactic after the drama of the first and second visits to Kisaragi Station. But the farm machine and the two episodes with Akari and her mechanic friend are necessary to set up events in any future season of the series, so they rearranged things a bit for the anime.

I don't know if I care about a future continuation of the anime, but I wish the next book was already translated.
John the Dark Lord

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:16 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the explanation. But man, that's a pretty big oversight of the director. Would it be so hard to remove the scene of the hat disappearing at the end of the beach episode and then adding it to the final episode?
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:13 pm Reply with quote
John the Dark Lord wrote:
Thanks for the explanation. But man, that's a pretty big oversight of the director. Would it be so hard to remove the scene of the hat disappearing at the end of the beach episode and then adding it to the final episode?

Or they could have come up with a different way to get back to Kisaragi Station.

The only thing stopping them from rearranging the episodes to novel chronology in the home video release is that shot of the farm machine sitting next to Kozakura's front door in this episode.

(I was wrong, though. The novel says that it had been a couple of weeks between the two visits to Kisaragi Station, not "the next day". They only had one Otherside adventure in the mean time, though.)
MMOSimca

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:46 pm Reply with quote
The intro shows them racing down a spiral staircase into a room with a portal in the stone floor. This is an element from something that happens multiple chapters from now (end of book 3).

Do we know for sure how long this season is? If it really ends with the marines next episode, then why was that bit even animated when it is so distant? If they did 15 episodes or even 14 episodes, it could fit (badly, but still).
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:48 pm Reply with quote
MMOSimca wrote:
The intro shows them racing down a spiral staircase into a room with a portal in the stone floor. This is an element from something that happens multiple chapters from now (end of book 3).

Do we know for sure how long this season is? If it really ends with the marines next episode, then why was that bit even animated when it is so distant? If they did 15 episodes or even 14 episodes, it could fit (badly, but still).

Teaser for novel readers? Hope that a second season would get approved? Inducement of anime watchers to read the novels?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:58 am Reply with quote
I don't know, but the running down the spiral staircase is my favourite part of the OP, it feels like the perfect balance of kind of cartoon running from something vague, to hitting a humorous snag. It is not like a lot of the horrors that meet are such fun when it is happening to them in that moment, but it kind of feels like it has that side of recounting back afterwards of "can't believe we got away", to saying to the audience we are going to have some spooky, but in the end we are all having fun here.

Like playing Bloodborne, and one of the first words you hear in the hub area that you reach after dying is an insinuation of using the doll that will raise your stats, with the insinuation of using "even the doll, should it please you" being sketchy.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:26 am Reply with quote
Have to agree with Mr. Ferris, this last episode was hugely satisfying and a good "breather" where we see The Girls just being themselves and talking about the feelings and issues they have had excuses for not talking about so far because of Otherside happenings. The ED/Insert at the end was the perfect complement in tone and lyric.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:44 am Reply with quote
I guess the real bummer for anyone who wants a real yuri/sci-fi adventure series pretty much has to read the novels because the yuri aspects were really small developments at this point. I heard it ramps up after the events of the anime, but god knows if the anime producers wants to do a S2. And considering how stacked this season is and the rather rudimentary production values this got (at least it didn't get off-model wonky-ness), it makes Otherside Picnic hard to stand out among the other flashier, more talked-about Winter shows. And that's disappointing for me since I've been waiting for a yuri anime mixed with another subgenre for a long time that can tell a really satisfying yuri story.
John the Dark Lord

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:31 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
I guess the real bummer for anyone who wants a real yuri/sci-fi adventure series pretty much has to read the novels because the yuri aspects were really small developments at this point. I heard it ramps up after the events of the anime, but god knows if the anime producers wants to do a S2. And considering how stacked this season is and the rather rudimentary production values this got (at least it didn't get off-model wonky-ness), it makes Otherside Picnic hard to stand out among the other flashier, more talked-about Winter shows. And that's disappointing for me since I've been waiting for a yuri anime mixed with another subgenre for a long time that can tell a really satisfying yuri story.

Well, Shokei Shoujo no Virgin Road is getting an anime, so we will soon get an Yuri that is also an Isekai. Considering Otherside Picnic was more of a Sci-Fi/Horror hybrid than an Action title, it will also be the first Yuri/Action anime since Valkyrie Drive.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3