• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Mobile Suit Gundam Hathaway

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:59 am Reply with quote
TranceLimit174 wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:
Time for the passive aggressive snark and insults to stop now. People can actually have differing opinions (which I know is a foreign concept for many when Gundam debates come up) without being told those opinions are just attention seeking or knee jerk. I suggest some of you learn to agree to disagree. You can like a particular work, author, director, etc. just as well as someone can feel the opposite. If you cannot be civil with the disagreements then move on.

Ironic for a franchise about human potential to evolve and understand one another.

Which TBF considering the very nature of the UC Continuity, humanity has about as much chance at evolving and understanding each other as Batman has at saving Gotham.
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Interesting review; I'm anticipating this movie, when does it come out digitally?

The only thing I have to say myself, even if it's for venting purposes and nothing else, is that I'm in the tiny minority that cannot stand Sawano's music. I used to love the guy back when I listened to his work for the first time during Unicorn, but then I saw many more series with him involved in the OSTc and he's a (very talented) one trick pony.

I'm no musical expert so I'd never dare to attempt an objective critique of his repertoire, but he always goes for that "epic sounding pop rock" song that, when it features a vocal melody, uses the same type of female vocalists, same atmosphere and really weird engrish.
It's got to the point that I can guess he's involved in an upcoming series/movie just by watching a trailer for the first time...but I cannot correctly guess what series a song is from because they have become interchangeable. He's like the opposite of the best era of Yoko Kanno.

I can only tolerate him in Attack on Titan now, and that's because I marathoned 3 seasons not long ago and was invested enough in the characters to ignore the music (plus the fact that his vocal songs didn't show up as often).

Let's just say I hope they stop using him for future Gundam works, though I'm not holding my breath.
Funchal99

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually going over the UC timeline main stuff little by little. I think it has a lot of interesting stuff in it, and a lot of weird, not-so-good stuff in it as well, but I started with Unicorn, which is in no shape or form a good entry point by my estimate (I had to study a lot of the Gundam wiki to stand a chance of grasping anything that was going on), and I still need to finish reading the Origin manga.
Since everything from Unicorn up really rubs me the right way visuals-wise, I'm doing the effort (I haven't seen Char's Counter Attack yet, so I was pretty confused by this movie), but I'm not sure how much I'm willing to invest in the older stuff past the Origin manga, given the animation quality and the very harsh criticisms I see for this stuff online (I mean, should I even bother with Victory?), not to mention my own opinions regarding the Origin manga and the whole lore behind Newtypes and their very contrived relationships.

While it has its charms though, I don't see much of a point in continuing to develop the UC timeline to be honest. There's very little wiggle-room since stuff that's stated to be canon (and with a lot of production problems) exists far up into the future of the timeline, and every new piece of media that releases is shackled by a metric ton of lore and previous knowledge of character dynamics that only alienates anyone trying to get into the series, making those products directed at pretty much only older fans and the few people that are willing to do all the homework for one reason or another.

I really see no problem with investing more on AU Gundam, it allows for much more varied and begginner-friendly takes on the franchise's core concepts, the kind of thing that can keep on refreshing Gundam rather than gatekeeping it or further expanding on single line of lore until it becomes impossibly convoluted. I for one thought IBO was great, though I suppose the market doesn't agree with me, which is a shame.

One could say this approach leads to widly variable quality from one work to the next, but isn't it already the case with UC Gundam anyway?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3