• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Lycoris Recoil Anime Changes Episode 11 Eyecatch Illustrations to Discourage Fans from Imi

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RealNath

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:46 am Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
Putting aside weather changing the art was a good idea or not, it's a really weird take to change one segment because it promotes something dangerous but leave in the exact same thing in the OP to preserve artistic intent. That really seems like it should be an all or nothing scenario if you're going to do it at all.

spoiler[It's also 11 episodes in, so it seems super late to consider anyway.]

Nah, it's a work of art. With that being said, they should have put a disclaimer (the best imo is at that part of the opening credit)
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:37 am Reply with quote
RealNath wrote:

Nah, it's a work of art. With that being said, they should have put a disclaimer (the best imo is at that part of the opening credit)

(Off topic nostalgia) Remember the "flashing lights" warnings on anime for a while after that Pokemon-episode-induced seizure situation?
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:43 am Reply with quote
dm wrote:
RealNath wrote:

(Off topic nostalgia) Remember the "flashing lights" warnings on anime for a while after that Pokemon-episode-induced seizure situation?

Last I saw, broadcasters in Japan still add that message. We just don't see them on legal streaming since those services clean copies of the show. Though, even when streaming, action shows like MHA dim the image when there is potential strobing onscreen, like animated lightning bolts.
SHD

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:28 am Reply with quote
wing-zero-strike wrote:
ATastySub wrote:

No one is stopping you from eating all the paint chips or drinking all the antifreeze you like. Feel free to keep being angry about basic safety information tho.

The quoted poster doesn't seem angry about safety information being provided. In fact, it's not clear that any basic safety information is being provided directly as part of this change. Instead, the poster quoted seems concerned about censoring art in lieu of providing basic safety information.

Thing is, nothing is being censored, in fact they go out of their way to point out that the exact same shots are left in the OP specifically to keep its artistic integrity. They just don't want to emphasize them so as to not incentivize cosplayers to imitate them. Also, higanbana being poisonous is not what I would call common knowlege, so it's not like this is the same level as "kids, don't drink bleach, drinking bleach is dangerous".

Seems to me the quoted poster just wanted to grab the opportunity to let out some well-known talking points popular at a certain place on the political spectrum.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:38 pm Reply with quote
This clearly seems like the kind of thing where no one is actually complaining but the studio is hoping to avoid a lawsuit just in case and it's not big of a deal.
wing-zero-strike

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:22 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:

Thing is, nothing is being censored, in fact they go out of their way to point out that the exact same shots are left in the OP specifically to keep its artistic integrity. They just don't want to emphasize them so as to not incentivize cosplayers to imitate them. Also, higanbana being poisonous is not what I would call common knowlege, so it's not like this is the same level as "kids, don't drink bleach, drinking bleach is dangerous".

Seems to me the quoted poster just wanted to grab the opportunity to let out some well-known talking points popular at a certain place on the political spectrum.

So essentially the logic some are using as to why this is not censorship (they leave it in elsewhere) is the same logic others are using as to why this move doesn't accomplish anything. Fascinating!

Ultimately, I think you called this out correctly - what this really is for both sides, is an ersatz political battle.
tasukete

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Fugaz-Star wrote:
Todays generation has turned into a bunch of pampered little babies that need to be reminded every second of their lives what's ok and what's bad. It'd say is sad, but to me it's more like anger within (bc I'm an artist) This and cancel culture are hurting art and comedy in ways that it will take decades before things go back to normal.

Hahaha, very funny! You seem to think that corporations actually care about safety! No, surely you know that corporations only care about liability.

ProTip: when you see something blatantly stupid, resist the temptation to think "OMG, I must become outraged at 'cancel culture' like my media overlords have commanded," but rather, "OMG, some moron actually did this and then probably won a lawsuit afterwards."

If you really must be outraged, just remember that every cent that the company paid to the moronic lawsuit will be passed down to customers, like you.
SHD

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:36 am Reply with quote
wing-zero-strike wrote:
Ultimately, I think you called this out correctly - what this really is for both sides, is an ersatz political battle.

It's not, and I think it says a lot about the worldview of people who think it is. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
wing-zero-strike

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:19 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
wing-zero-strike wrote:

It's not, and I think it says a lot about the worldview of people who think it is. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oh? You mentioned politics and said you saw an association with his opinion on this with a political viewpoint, so I assumed you’d agree. I probably misunderstood.

I don’t have much opinion either way, I mean clearly this move does nothing to educate viewers of the dangers, so it doesn’t do anything useful for safety. It does, however, create buzz and publicity, and if this is how they do it, more power to them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3