• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Mob Psycho 100 III

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:45 am Reply with quote
Not my favorite episode, but it was cute and well told. I think I would have liked it more if MP had established a history of occasional very whimsical episodic tales -- as is, I was expecting build up to whatever the final dramatic arc is, but got this instead.
tintor2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Only Reigen's abdomen would give Mob a perfect score without any issues.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Great review, Steve. You put a bunch of my thoughts and feelings into words that I couldn't quite express in my previous post.
we love lain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:28 am Reply with quote
This ep was awesome; just rose into my top 3 of favorite Mob Psycho episodes of all time. It was the perfect adolescent story: one part wholesome rode trip and one part drunken teen house party movie (with aliens); what an odd, yet brilliant combination; a wonderful way to tell the, "This was the best night of our lives" kind of story. How appropriate that an episode about making eventful lifetime memories will now forever be an episode I remember when I think about some of my favorite anime. Hakuyu Go accomplished exactly what he set out to do; his love for this arc shines very bright
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:15 pm Reply with quote
I was very surprised how good this episode was, I thought it(and the prior episode) was just going to be a middle of the road episode to gap the other two arcs. It feels like the show has nicely tied up the Telepathy Clubs story arc up nicely. The alien world was really interesting, it reminded me of the sort of world you would see in Space Dandy or Flip Flappers.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:30 pm Reply with quote
This was maybe the best take-off on the Urashima Tarou story I've yet seen. I loved that they gave it a happy ending that made sense, with Inukawa losing his memories of it, but not everything he holds dear (still can't grasp what the moral of the original tale is supposed to be - don't help bullied animals and just keep walking?).

Hmm, I get the feeling that Inukawa is no longer wizard material, if you get my drift... Shocked
jdnation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:45 pm Reply with quote
I dig these weird and awesome asides!

Makes sense that aliens have anime eyes.
tintor2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:44 pm Reply with quote
This episode sure played with my feelings
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:00 am Reply with quote
I'll wait to see what happens till I judge this ending, but I am curious why they would show mob saving a cat with his powers and then not doing the exact same thing seconds later.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:15 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
I'll wait to see what happens till I judge this ending, but I am curious why they would show mob saving a cat with his powers and then not doing the exact same thing seconds later.
I thought it was because by the time he saw the car coming towards the boy, he didn't have enough time to summon his powers and control stop the car. With the cat the car seemed to be further away and not moving as fast. Or maybe in the heat of the moment he wasn't thinking straight.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:01 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:

They made a point of showing him drop his bag and use his hand to save the cat, then grab his bag again, leaving him unable to use his hands, and, unlike with the cat, he wouldn't have had enough time to drop the bag again and summon his powers
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:11 am Reply with quote
Mob was just too wholesome for this world. Truck-kun realized this and isekai'd him to a world where people actually deserve him.

All we can do now is be grateful that we got to spend 3 seasons with him and move on.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:51 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
They made a point of showing him drop his bag and use his hand to save the cat, then grab his bag again, leaving him unable to use his hands, and, unlike with the cat, he wouldn't have had enough time to drop the bag again and summon his powers

Ok, but does it really take him more time to summon his powers than it did to leap off the sidewalk into the middle of the street and push the kid out of the way? From what we've seen of him using his powers, I'd say no, but maybe that's just me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I mean, why does he even need to drop his bag first? Smile

Btw, I don't think his florist friend did him any favors. The smaller bouquet was more Mob, and the bigger one looked too try-hard. The little one was cuter too.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
CrowLia wrote:

Ok, but does it really take him more time to summon his powers than it did to leap off the sidewalk into the middle of the street and push the kid out of the way? From what we've seen of him using his powers, I'd say no, but maybe that's just me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I mean, why does he even need to drop his bag first? Smile

I also thought they didn't really sell/explain the reason for Mob not reacting quickly enough to the car very well. Definitely had a small flicker of "Huh?" when he no-power body-blocked the car. Still, a small thing; seeing mob lying there, broken, hit me hard nonetheless.
oogenesis

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:05 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
CrowLia wrote:

I also thought they didn't really sell/explain the reason for Mob not reacting quickly enough to the car very well. Definitely had a small flicker of "Huh?" when he no-power body-blocked the car. Still, a small thing; seeing mob lying there, broken, hit me hard nonetheless.

@CrowLia and @Gina Szanboti:
he doesn't. he doesn't need to use his hands at all to channel his powers, as shown in his battle with suzuki where he breaks the top off of the cultural tower while still lying face-down in its broken concrete, or where he starts wringing the man's body out like a wet rag without lifting a finger. but in that situation, he was mood-swinging through different emotions at 100% intensity -- in circumstances where others' lives aren't being threatened, he resorts to using his hands more.

@NeverConvex:
unlike other espers in MP100, shigeo has been focusing all of his conscious efforts on developing his social and physical strengths; the boy sees his psychic powers as kind of a cheat code at best, has never been all that interested in fine-tuning them, and only drops this power-limiting belief when his emotions are intense enough. the story makes a point with the explosion counter of showing just how calm he is before he gets kissed by truck-kun.

at this point in the story, he still has a tense relationship with his own ESP -- to the point where he doesn't want to rely on it or think to use it first in many situations. to me it seems he didn't react quickly enough because he was mentally sorting this out: a very realistic and in-character thing for someone like him to do. i think if shigeo'd been closer to 100% emotionally, this scene would have played out very differently.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5