• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - From The Materia Of Your Soul

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
db999

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:57 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
db999 wrote:
They knew they were remaking Person 3 and weren’t going to include the female protagonist, so they released P3P on modern platforms so people could experience the Female protagonist and hopefully not complain about her not being in Reload.

What was the reasoning for including her in Persona Q2 a game that was released 4 years before the Portable remaster?

Not to mention with people already clamoring for the female mc to be included in more new material with regards to the video games. If your theory is true it would increase demand for her inclusion in a remake not sate it.

Yeah, that's kind of my point. They released P3P recently because they thought that it would stop the complaints of her not being in Reload, but it didn't work.
FeelMyBlade

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:07 am Reply with quote
db999 wrote:
They knew they were remaking Person 3 and weren’t going to include the female protagonist, so they released P3P on modern platforms so people could experience the Female protagonist and hopefully not complain about her not being in Reload.

Isn't that the best option? Whenever people complain about remakes changing things they always tell people to go play the original and the original is still there and isn't being replaced. If people want the female MC then they can always play the original, and by original I mean the portable port. That's what I remember people saying about the people complaining about the changes made in the Resident Evil and Final Fantasy 7 remakes. Although in this case it's for being faithful to the original game.

djl33 wrote:
Wait, what did Karen Strassman do...?

(This isn't some rhetorical defense; I'm genuinely out of the loop here.)

She's a conservative. Some people think that warrants being blacklisted in the industry. And apparently celebrating all the other voice actors being replaced if it means she is too.
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 3:01 pm Reply with quote
db999 wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:
db999 wrote:

What was the reasoning for including her in Persona Q2 a game that was released 4 years before the Portable remaster?

Not to mention with people already clamoring for the female mc to be included in more new material with regards to the video games. If your theory is true it would increase demand for her inclusion in a remake not sate it.

Yeah, that's kind of my point. They released P3P recently because they thought that it would stop the complaints of her not being in Reload, but it didn't work.

Well, as an olive branch it's a rather crummy one, innit? "We're remaking Persona 3, but we won't include any of the stuff you guys like, play some other game if you want that" isn't really the best way to handle things when it's stuff people really wanted. Imagine if the FFX or FFXII remasters were based off of the original vanilla versions of their respective games and not the Complete/Zodiac editions, or a Kingdom Hearts remaster that doesn't include any of the content from Final Mix--that's what we're looking at. It also so happens that FemMC is really, really beloved. You're already remaking the game from the ground up, you may as well include her.
OrdepNM

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 5:30 pm Reply with quote
FinalVentCard wrote:
It also so happens that FemMC is really, really beloved.

I'm actually starting to question the truthness of that statement. I've seen a few people run online polls on whether the community is more upset about the lack of the FeMC or The Answer and The Answer has been consistently winning. I know, "online polls, lol" but either way I doubt there's any credible research either way so it is what it is. I know some youtubers have said they dislike the FeMC route because some of its changes undermine the overall message of the story, but now I wonder how widespread that opinion actually is.
Traptrix Lover

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:57 pm Reply with quote
OrdepNM wrote:
I'm actually starting to question the truthness of that statement. I've seen a few people run online polls on whether the community is more upset about the lack of the FeMC or The Answer and The Answer has been consistently winning. I know, "online polls, lol" but either way I doubt there's any credible research either way so it is what it is. I know some youtubers have said they dislike the FeMC route because some of its changes undermine the overall message of the story, but now I wonder how widespread that opinion actually is.

I can't speak for the American fandom much but I haven't really seen many comments about it on Japanese Twitter. It might be anecdotal but it seems like the biggest push for FeMC I see are English speakers who want more representation in games in general and argue that female Persona fans exist and should be able to play as one. But Atlus already said why that's not feasible for the series many times and how it goes against their goals and vision for the series.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:35 pm Reply with quote
FeelMyBlade wrote:
She's a conservative. Some people think that warrants being blacklisted in the industry. And apparently celebrating all the other voice actors being replaced if it means she is too.

I guarantee you, even without knowing the exact minuate pertaining to Straussman simply being conservative is not the reason people piss on conservatives.
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Traptrix Lover wrote:
OrdepNM wrote:

I can't speak for the American fandom much but I haven't really seen many comments about it on Japanese Twitter. It might be anecdotal but it seems like the biggest push for FeMC I see are English speakers who want more representation in games in general and argue that female Persona fans exist and should be able to play as one. But Atlus already said why that's not feasible for the series many times and how it goes against their goals and vision for the series.

I dunno, man, they made FemMC in the first place and feature her up in a ton of the drama CDs and stage plays. I don't think female main characters are as hard to pull off in Persona as Atlus claims they are.
i got the shivers!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:23 am Reply with quote
OrdepNM wrote:

Most citations I see people make are those PQ2 Twitter polls Atlus did for Tokyo Game Show livestream like 5 years ago which had Kotone rank #3 on them. The problem is those polls were notoriously botted to hell and have the most skewed and awful results if you were following them at the time. Ann, Kotone, Makoto (P3), and Yu had bots voting according to posters on JP Twitter.. If you checked their tags on Twitter, the numbers don’t match their final scores, especially Ann’s; who only got around 290 responses on Twitter but 700 is showed on the TGS live stream. In the end the #1 result was Makoto (P3) who had more votes than the rest of the Top 10 combined which should set off red flags immediately that there was shenanigans going on.

While internet polls are fun, I’d take them with a grain of salt since they can easily be botted; Twitter polls especially which is about as unscientific as you can get. I mean, any poll that lists Ann as being more popular than Makoto (P5) is just flat out wrong. We know Makoto is the #1 most popular girl in Persona 5 based on game data and offline, properly conducted surveys. It should also be noted that the poll and responses asked people to name reasons like why you used them in your party and not strictly about likability or popularity. Makoto (P3) was pretty OP in PQ2 from what I remember so while I don't doubt he would probably be #1 regardless of bot shenanigans on that alone, so it doesn't automatically mean people liked these characters as characters rather than gameplay reasons.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 3:38 am Reply with quote
Eh, with P3R being on Game Pass I can understand why they wouldn't want to go all out on the release. I'm sure there'll be a complete version later that isn't on Game Pass even if they deny it now. Plus they definitely have a timeline in mind and there probably isn't enough time to do everything and still hit their goal.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:14 pm Reply with quote
The Star Ocean 2 remake I mentioned earlier, has been confirmed, trailer here; (STAR OCEAN)

Twitter/StarOcean wrote:
Two worlds. One fateful encounter.

Introducing a modern 2.5D remake of one of our most beloved titles - #StarOcean The Second Story R.

Landing on Nintendo Switch, PS5/4 and Steam on November 2, 2023.

Youtube trailer
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3