• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Power of Hope: Precure Full Bloom

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:42 am Reply with quote
gedata wrote:

No amount of shapeshifting can get around a problematic age-gap/power dynamic.

Just to clarify, I'm not saying the shafeshitfting fixes the problem. I'm saying the fact that Coco is actually a talking squirrel makes the dynamic even more problematic (or, well, funny and hard to take seriously at times Laughing )

TandooriJones wrote:
It airs right after Spongebob

Doesn't make it any less disappointing
Nev999

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:02 pm Reply with quote
TandooriJones wrote:
Everlasting Coconut wrote:
I just wish the execution wasn't so kiddish at times, since this is not your typical Precure your season

gedata wrote:

Well it's a good thing they're in their 30s now and Coco never once in the original show used that power dynamic to his advantage even once so it's more something to get upset about "in principal" rather than anything in context to the show, which is fine. Nothing wrong with having principals.
'

Yeah, my principal is you shouldn't put 'hey you know what's okay and normal? Having a romance with your teacher as an underage student! They won't evvvver take advantage of that power dynamic, you can trust adult men who want to smooch you, children!" in a show aimed at five year olds. And I like to think that's a principal most people share.

Precure's target audience was not at the age where they can easily separate reality from fiction, and were also at the age where they're most vulnerable. It's honestly disgusting that was ever okayed, and it was wildly irresponsible to put that in a show for young children.

This show being aimed at adults and them being adults is like, whatever, but I still think it's incredible Toei wants to call back to the fact they did this instead of forget it.

I'm glad to know the squirrelblob romance is being fully revisited, because now I'm definitely not watching this show. But it's nice to keep up with it through reviews, so thank you.
Nev999

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:14 pm Reply with quote
gedata wrote:

Just to clarify, I'm not saying the shafeshitfting fixes the problem. I'm saying the fact that Coco is actually a talking squirrel makes the dynamic even more problematic (or, well, funny and hard to take seriously at times Laughing )

TandooriJones wrote:

Doesn't make it any less disappointing

I think the reason people dwell on it less is it's not something kids can easily apply to real life, but my friend who liveblogged the series back in the day did point out how absolutely bonkers it was that they'd have Coco be this wibbling blob who talks in a high pitched baby voice one second then expect the audience to buy him as mature and attractive whenever he turned into a guy. There was even a plot point about how one of them ~never smiled~ despite the fact he smiled constantly as a squirrelblob. It was like the show wanted you to forget they were the same character, which...why make them like that then.
Dumas1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:36 pm Reply with quote
This villain and overall storyline is giving me some Persona vibes with its focus on the grinding despair of modern life. It doesn't help that Shadows making people fall unconscious is vaguely reminiscent of Apathy Syndrome from Persona 3.

Unrelated, Nozomi's lesson at the start of episode 5 reminds me of Itoshiki Nozumu's "Future Despairs" lesson from Zetsubou-sensei. It'd be hilarious for some poor kid to have both those teachers, either together or in different years. I feel a plot-bunny coming in.[/i]
TandooriJones

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Nev999 wrote:
I think the reason people dwell on it less is it's not something kids can easily apply to real life, but my friend who liveblogged the series back in the day did point out how absolutely bonkers it was that they'd have Coco be this wibbling blob who talks in a high pitched baby voice one second then expect the audience to buy him as mature and attractive whenever he turned into a guy. There was even a plot point about how one of them ~never smiled~ despite the fact he smiled constantly as a squirrelblob. It was like the show wanted you to forget they were the same character, which...why make them like that then.

You shouldn't repeat their opinions without watching it yourself to be honest. For one Coco has the same personality in both forms, it's just the voice and form that changes. If you judge others on how they look or sound I can't really say much about that though. Second, that wasn't a plot point, also Natts smiled constantly as a squirrel because that's how his mouth was shaped, not because he became happy as a animal. Sorry, I don't want to come off as rude, it's just everything you said was not correct.
Now onto what actually, matters, the review.
Quote:
Just look at Coco, who has convinced himself that things won't work out between him and Nozomi without even talking to her about it. He may be right, and a percentage of the fandom would be happy with that, but the more salient point is that he's decided it'll fail without even trying

While most of the fandom is currently having a meltdown over the situation, I'm very happy to see you pointing this out. I had not even considered the parallels between the people Bell is attacking and Cocos pessimistic attitude about the situation. Deciding it's hopeless without even talking to her, assuming he didn't anyway. I would half expect Coco to have told Nozomi all these feelings in their letters and it's just she does not know what to do either. Still, it's comments like this that make your reviews, as far as I can see, the best.
Quote:
The canine Shadows mark a different emotion from Bell – she's sad when humans act selfishly or ignore the world around them. She's angry when they actively plan to destroy nature.

I actually thought they were just dogs so Rin would have more of a plausible reason to let herself ignore it, being a shape they were not aware of. But I enjoy your interpretation. Still, I really liked the parallels with Rins first episode with this one, the different reasons she transformed between then and now tie in nicely. Along with the Karen and Rin relationship, which I thought you might have wrote more about as my only complaint. I thought the show made a excellent choice on having Rin confine in Karen and even justify it. Especially for her going to Karen over Nozomi. Still, another great review.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:02 am Reply with quote
TandooriJones wrote:
Along with the Karen and Rin relationship, which I thought you might have wrote more about as my only complaint. I thought the show made a excellent choice on having Rin confine in Karen and even justify it. Especially for her going to Karen over Nozomi. Still, another great review.

I couldn't quite sort my thoughts out about it, but it's definitely an interesting and solid choice. Now that I've had twenty-four hours, I feel like Rin chose Karen over Nozomi because she sees Karen as the more stable person at the moment. Nozomi's dealing with the Coco situation, and even if Rin doesn't fully understand what's going on there (and I don't think Nozomi or Coco do either, to be fair), she may have felt that she couldn't heap more on someone who was already dealing with a lot. Karen has consistently come off as the coolest head, but also the firmest grasp of what to Rin looks like "reality." Nozomi's too optimistic for what Rin's going through, at least in Rin's mind.

Those are my early morning thoughts, at any rate.

I'm really glad you're enjoying the reviews, and I always look forward to seeing what you have to say.
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:19 am Reply with quote
Next time Rin sees a shadow but doesn't have the time to deal with it, she should think to herself, "Okay, but what if it hurts someone who deserves it?" I say let the doggy chomp on real state agents

Karen giving advice to Rin in this episode was cute, though I will say it's a little annoying that this is the second time she has been made to look incompetent in order for another character to get her transformation.
Nev999

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:41 pm Reply with quote
TandooriJones wrote:
Nev999 wrote:

You shouldn't repeat their opinions without watching it yourself to be honest. For one Coco has the same personality in both forms, it's just the voice and form that changes. If you judge others on how they look or sound I can't really say much about that though. Second, that wasn't a plot point, also Natts smiled constantly as a squirrel because that's how his mouth was shaped, not because he became happy as a animal. Sorry, I don't want to come off as rude, it's just everything you said was not correct.

I have watched some of it, I'm not sure why you assumed I didn't. The contrast between the mascot and human version WAS weird. There are Precure mascots that don't come off as child-like in their mascot forms (the guy in Hugtto, for example, and though he didn't have a human form, I could buy the one from Fresh as a teenager), Coco is not one of them.

Also, it does come off as rude you accused me as "judging others by how they look and sound" because of my reaction to an anime mascot character. I would go so far as to say that is rude.
TandooriJones

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
I couldn't quite sort my thoughts out about it, but it's definitely an interesting and solid choice. Now that I've had twenty-four hours, I feel like Rin chose Karen over Nozomi because she sees Karen as the more stable person at the moment. Nozomi's dealing with the Coco situation, and even if Rin doesn't fully understand what's going on there (and I don't think Nozomi or Coco do either, to be fair), she may have felt that she couldn't heap more on someone who was already dealing with a lot. Karen has consistently come off as the coolest head, but also the firmest grasp of what to Rin looks like "reality." Nozomi's too optimistic for what Rin's going through, at least in Rin's mind.

Those are my early morning thoughts, at any rate.

I'm really glad you're enjoying the reviews, and I always look forward to seeing what you have to say.

To somewhat expand on what I said, just because I don't think I gave enough justification for it, I think the episode had two excellent moments of showing why Rin didn't go to Nozomi, using Nozomi herself. The scene at the bar of Nozomi mentioning that now that she can transform she feels great, for the more overt one, and the scene at the very end where Nozomi says now that Rin can transform they're unbeatable. Nozomi still has a very idealized outlook about Rin, and it's not what Rin needed to hear. She needed to hear Karen tell her being an adult isn't so bad.
Which is basically what you had just written. You're right, Karen is the queen of being busy and stability. It's also sweet that she's now telling Rin she can rely on her when you remember Karens original problem, where she thought she had to do everything herself. They are really putting end caps on these characters in ways they were unable or unwilling to do in Gogo.

I'm also happy that you like the things I have to say, because I am always looking for good Precure criticism so I would hate to come off like a bother to someone who provides it. Write ups for this are few and far between, like Vrai Kaiser had a good article about the first episode, but it was admittedly from someone who did not watch the original show, and they did not continue past that in their writings. Your writings continue however, and they have not disappointed. Anytime I write "complaint" or "I would have" it's always just a small caveat, and is often just "I wish you had written more". After all, you provided the definitive Delicious Party reviews as far as I am concerned.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:43 am Reply with quote
Oh you can believe that tree is very important. In Splash Star it was the gateway to the spirit fountain and from what I can remember it might as well be a god.
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:22 am Reply with quote
There's something about Urara and Syrup's relationship that triggers my inner teenage fangirl. I guess it has to do with how highly idealized and romanticized it is, which is part of the charm of magical girl shows. Who wouldn't want to be like Urara and have a kind, sensitive, supportive, guitar-playing, gardener boyfriend who knocks on your bedroom window to cheer you up when you're feeling down Laughing

Just like Rececca, I wasn't sold on Syrup's design when I saw the preview last week. Now that the episode is out, I think the design itself is fine, it's just that the inconsistent art/animation quality makes him look wonky at times

The story was okay. Urara was being too harsh on herself, comparing herself to others, and following the script too conservatively to the point that for a while she lost sight of what makes her happy and special, and what was ironically the reason why she was cast for the angel role in the first place. Her cutting back on eating was really sad too.

Now, I could be nitpicky and ask why the director didn't just tell Urara to be more "uncontainable" since the beginning, but I don't know the ins and outs of the acting world. Maybe directors want their actors to figure things out on their own.

The episode turned into Bokura no War Game near the end. That was... a choice. It was nice seeing Lemonade kick some ass tho.

Kurumi continues to be the best wingwoman. Meanwhile, Nozomi seemed unfazed when she realized her crush is moving right next to her. I would've expected a different kind of reaction

It looks like we're visiting Honoka's grandma next week. I'm not sure if this means we'll see Nagisa and Honoka eventually, but I always thought it was weird how this Yes! sequel features only Splash Star and not Futari wa.
zfunk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:53 am Reply with quote
Anyone notice that Urara's boss and Bell have the same haircut, interesting. I will leave it at that.
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:17 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I started to suspect last week that there may be more returning characters from earlier series, and I'm now wondering if they're not characters from Splash Star - namely the Kiryuu sisters.

Huh, I thought it was pretty obvious that they're Kaoru and Michiru. Something that's been bugging me for a while is how Saki and Mai haven't recognized them yet. At first I let it slide, but when they gave a shoutout to Saki's bakery last week, it should've been a dead giveaway.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:57 pm Reply with quote

Huh, I thought it was pretty obvious that they're Kaoru and Michiru.

The hardest thing about writing these reviews is how to balance writing for viewers who haven't seen (unlicensed in English) Splash Star and Yes 5/Go Go with those who have. I don't want to alienate anyone, and sometimes that comes with the risk of sounding too obvious or oblivious.
gedata

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I started to suspect last week that there may be more returning characters from earlier series, and I'm now wondering if they're not characters from Splash Star - namely the Kiryuu sisters.

Huh, I thought it was pretty obvious that they're Kaoru and Michiru. Something that's been bugging me for a while is how Saki and Mai haven't recognized them yet. At first I let it slide, but when they gave a shoutout to Saki's bakery last week, it should've been a dead giveaway.

it seems reasonable to assume that their aware that the Kiryuu sisters are around but just haven't connected them to their online personas yet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5