• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: American Anime Awards Finalists Announced

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:10 pm Reply with quote
I agree, particularly when you look at the nominees. The actors and series that seemed to have been nominated by ADV weren't extremely popular titles--they were simply titles that were of a really high quality, or titles that had the good performances. If ADV was doing this as a marketing stunt, I think they would have--at the very least--nominated Chris Patton under one of the FMP series, not Princess Tutu.

In fact, I think they should be commended for being one of the companies that actually nominated those they felt were the best that they released last year--not 'the most popular that we've ever had in our catalog'.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:13 pm Reply with quote
slickwataris wrote:
I saw that at Best Buy once, it looked pretty cool. Out of all of those Hellsing and Naruto were the only ones that had somewhat unique packaging. Naruto's was a little generic but you gotta give them props for putting out that many episodes on one set.

Naruto was just an orange box, don't get me wrong I am glad that Viz said "Hey we are going to put out uncut naruto." But that doesn't warrant it being a finalist for a DVD Design award. If there was an award for the thing your most thankful for I would vote for Naruto getting an uncut box for the fans that want them.

slickwataris wrote:
After seeing this year's finalists I seriously don't see how they plan to make this an annual thing without putting some rules on what can be nominated. It should only pertain to what's been released on dvd in the year or aired on television/theaters or the same things will be nominated every year.

I agree, I don't know if there already plans to changed this, but by the current rules the winner from this year (Akira for Comedy) could win again for Comedy.......I think that nomination should be limited to releases within a calendar year.

tempest wrote:
Personally I think ADV deserves credit for trying to give this to the anime community and industry.... Sure they benefit, but mostly from the fact that they get to broadcast the event on TAN.

Certainly ADV deserves credit for trying to set this up, but I think that it needs some fine-tuning. I wouldn't mind seeing the awards (AAA) every year as long as there was a critics choice awards to go along with. That way it's the best of both worlds.
Lenks

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
Why are there nominations for FLCL, Akira, Gravitation, and Ranma 1/2? There's no logic behind that whatsoever.

Well, as far as I'm gathering, all but Akira was released in some way in 2006. FLCL was released in an "Ultimate DVD" package, Gravitation was released in a boxed set, and the Ranma 1/2 OVA was released in a boxed set as well. Akira was released in 2005 for the PSP, but since this is for 2006, then it shouldn't be up there.

So, if they're going off of that, then there's the answer.
sakaguchi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:17 pm Reply with quote
potassium wrote:
The long anime category leaves me confused. Naruto, okay; yes, that's long. Inuyasha, sure. But then they've got Samurai Champloo, with twenty-six episodes. To be long, is the only qualification you can't watch it all in a single day?

26 episodes can be watched in a single day easily.... i watched Chobits in one day... thats 26 episodes.... Cardcaptor Sakura now theres something i didn't watch in one sitting...

Why is Inuyasha even considered... It's like excel saga in English bad....dbz for girls....
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:32 pm Reply with quote
sakaguchi wrote:
26 episodes can be watched in a single day easily.... i watched Chobits in one day... thats 26 episodes.... Cardcaptor Sakura now theres something i didn't watch in one sitting...

Why is Inuyasha even considered... It's like excel saga in English bad....dbz for girls....

Inuyasha is up for an award because the fans voted for it. These awards are based off fan voting, and guess what lots of people have seen inuyasha. The more important question is how Johnny Bosch (Akira VA) is a finalist for Comedy.....
potassium

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:42 pm Reply with quote
sakaguchi wrote:
potassium wrote:
The long anime category leaves me confused. Naruto, okay; yes, that's long. Inuyasha, sure. But then they've got Samurai Champloo, with twenty-six episodes. To be long, is the only qualification you can't watch it all in a single day?

i suppose you're right. i should've known there are people that do that.

as for inuyasha, a series doesn't have to be outstanding or even good in any way to be popular. however, it's unfortunate when those watching it are convinced what they're seeing is the greatest accomplishment of mankind.

Deltakiral wrote:
[The more important question is how Johnny Bosch (Akira VA) is a finalist for Comedy.....

that's probably because these kinds of things end up becoming popularity contests. he's a well-known actor for a variety of roles, and many people voting on these probably just scanned the lists for a name they recognized.
sakaguchi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Ah the flaws of democracy....
Askman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

I liked Excel Saga in English >_>

Besides that, I participated in the voting, and it seems all the ones I nominated made it Smile

I actually saw Akira recently, and I actually thought I was in for a comedy because of these awards. I was greatly mistaken.
NGE1113

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:54 pm Reply with quote
One of the stickier issues I saw within this contest was the lack of verification that would have prevented the Johnny Yong Bosch nomination for "Best Actor in a Comedy." I know Sean Schemmel would've been a dark horse candidate for the final list, and I really think he should have been in there. If the Bosch nomination is what prevented it, that makes the fiasco in this category even worse for me.

In terms of the apparent free-for-all title nominations, it never should have happened There needs to be some kind of order involved here, or perhaps it would be best not to do this thing again.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:

My thoughts on why there should be a critic based awards are pretty simple. While series like Gankutsuou may not be a very popular among casual fans, but I think that among critics it's one of the highest rate series.

I agree. Gankutsuou is one of my faaavorite series ever. I bought all the volumes (except vol.2 which I can't find at any Best Buy).

But I showed it to my anime club (about 15-20 people). And only one or two of them heard of the series (or possibly they liked the pretty cover) and only one besides me has actually seen it (because I lent it to her). They are all big Inuyasha and Naruto fans (except the leaders...) and I could tell they thought it was boring. I have to admit the first episode isn't as exciting as the rest of the series. But the response was "eehh...." or "Cool animation."

I can imagine what they would do if I showed them Haibane Renmei (which I also have)
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:10 pm Reply with quote
You know what would've been nice?

If they had some sort of short clip for each of the nominees, and pictures of the packaging...

That way we'd at least have something to compare to. It'd still be a popularity contest, but...at least for those of use that actually care, it would've been helpful.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
NGE1113

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:17 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel:
I can empathize with you on this one (re: the exclusion of Chris Patton). I honestly and truly belive that Sean Schemmel should have been on the Best Actor: Comedy list for his performance in Ninja Nonsense. It was extremely disappointing not to see him on that list, but as he was a dark horse candidate, it wasn't too surprising to me. I know three of the nominees on the list (Greg Ayres, Liam O'Brien, and Tony Oliver) really do belong there; I'm in the dark about Dave Wittenburg (haven't seem him in enough shows). Now, Johnny Yong Bosch shouldn't be there at all, and his accidental nomination took up another slot that could have gone to Schemmel.

Askman wrote:
I liked Excel Saga in English >_>

Same here, but not to the same extent after the third volume. Lorissa Wolcott is a dear and tried her best, but for me, its still Jessica Calvello FTW.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:43 pm Reply with quote
NGE1113 wrote:
MorwenLaicoriel:
I can empathize with you on this one (re: the exclusion of Chris Patton). I honestly and truly belive that Sean Schemmel should have been on the Best Actor: Comedy list for his performance in Ninja Nonsense. It was extremely disappointing not to see him on that list, but as he was a dark horse candidate, it wasn't too surprising to me. I know three of the nominees on the list (Greg Ayres, Liam O'Brien, and Tony Oliver) really do belong there; I'm in the dark about Dave Wittenburg (haven't seem him in enough shows). Now, Johnny Yong Bosch shouldn't be there at all, and his accidental nomination took up another slot that could have gone to Schemmel.

Thank you!
I haven't had a chance to see Ninja Nonsense, but I've heard great things about Schemmel's performance in it. It's really too bad that some great performances were missed with the awards simply because the anime wasn't too popular...I guess that's where the "critic" sort of awards come in handy. (It'd be nice if we had both...)
Kouji

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:57 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:

If they had some sort of short clip for each of the nominees, and pictures of the packaging....
In the case of the packaging, you could always read the reviews over at AOD which usually contain pictures of the DVD packaging.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:

If they had some sort of short clip for each of the nominees, and pictures of the packaging....
In the case of the packaging, you could always read the reviews over at AOD which usually contain pictures of the DVD packaging.

Ah...nuts. I didn't know that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4