• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Online (MMO) To Be Released in 2008

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ataru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:07 am Reply with quote
So another in the long line of MMOs is coming. I really like the ideal of starting out as a kid and working your way up to adult. I just hope there is no emo phase.

Since the manga is the only true source of Dragon Ball, the whole GT story won't be covered... at least until they put a Super Saiyan 4 patch in. :p
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Crescent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:00 am Reply with quote
Kibate wrote:
so the storyline doesn't include GT? Well, even though i agree that GT wasn't as good as the "original" it still seems a little odd(and if it includes GT, goku being there wouldn't be a problem as well as piccolo(since piccolo is dead anyway and as god he survived many hundread years too))

Mhm, as Ataru had mentioned, GT isn't "official" canon (Official in this sense being Toriyama's original manga, which is the property this is being licensed through). GT was created purely as a sequel to the tv anime; Toriyama had no involvement in that other than some of the initial character designs.
kurotsuki

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:07 am Reply with quote
those people are demon !
I hate MMO or anything in the sort...but this look like it's absolutely worth trying .
unknowncrazy15

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:09 am Reply with quote
man i am getting really excited i hope it turns out good and i hope its for free that way we call try it i hope that we can play the beta version soon
maus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:53 am Reply with quote
Man have they lost their marbles? DBZ ended ages ago. It's not even hot anymore. The people who were kids when it aired are now playing WoW. I don't think anyone of them would even consider trading WoW in for this MMO.

And furthermore, this is getting ridiculous: the market for MMO's is getting saturated. Last week a LEGO MMO was announced! Confused
Lowlife187

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:47 pm Reply with quote
God please no,God please no,God please no,God please no,God please no,God please no,God please no,God please no,God please no,God please no,God please no,God please no,God please no,God please no,God please no,God please no,God please no,God please no,God please no,God please no,God please no,God please no!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad There is potential for this game, but I see it being done very cheezy and low budget, like all other DB video games.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:53 pm Reply with quote
maus wrote:
Man have they lost their marbles? DBZ ended ages ago. It's not even hot anymore. The people who were kids when it aired are now playing WoW. I don't think anyone of them would even consider trading WoW in for this MMO.

And furthermore, this is getting ridiculous: the market for MMO's is getting saturated. Last week a LEGO MMO was announced! Confused

I agree that the MMO market has been indeed water down by way too many projects tying to grab at the sucess of WoW. Although a LEGO MMO is actually something that I would want to try out, seeing as how you could build anything if Developer lets you.

Don't forget that Japan doesn't have WoW, and also DBZ still sells pretty well......that why we get a new DBZ game every year or so. It's just like the Gundam Franchise if those (god awful) games didn't sell why releases a new one every year?
Detective X

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:52 pm Reply with quote
This isn't particularly beating a dead horse in Japan's eyes. Dragonball is still HUGE over there. The MMO is being designed for a community still fervently interested in the series, not North America (who lost appreciation of the series years ago).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
raithnor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:37 am Reply with quote
At least they decided not to make the "Record of Lodoss War" MMO or Slayers MMO. Very Happy

If the MMO is more "Dragon Ball" than "DBZ" it could work. (Exploration/Questing rather than a pure fighting game)
tarrin4ever

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
i would rather they do Bleach or Naruto.

I'm gonna pick alternative choice #3 and wish for a One Piece MMO. ^^[/quote]
Hiraleth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I think this will be great. I mean, the Dragon Ball world is so huge. If there is a big focus on questing this will be AWESOME!! Just looking at those screenshots makes me excited. The graphics look amazing and if they do it right (which is likely if Toriyama is supervising) this will definitely be something I play. I can only hope it comes over to North America! I play WoW (I just started), but I am likely to switch over if this makes it over. Well, I can only cross my fingers!

P.S. The character creation looks awesome. I just wonder if they'll have classes (Saiyan, human, android, etc.)
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:52 am Reply with quote
Hiraleth wrote:
Personally, I think this will be great. I mean, the Dragon Ball world is so huge. If there is a big focus on questing this will be AWESOME!! Just looking at those screenshots makes me excited. The graphics look amazing and if they do it right (which is likely if Toriyama is supervising) this will definitely be something I play. I can only hope it comes over to North America! I play WoW (I just started), but I am likely to switch over if this makes it over. Well, I can only cross my fingers!

P.S. The character creation looks awesome. I just wonder if they'll have classes (Saiyan, human, android, etc.)

You have to watch out with existing worlds though. Remember Star Wars Galaxies? That game flopped hard. Same as Matrix Online. With an existing world, there are certain rules and limitations that can't be broken, and those limits can end up ruining it. Like to be fair for those on dial-up, it will have to be turn-based combat. Turn-based combat for the kinds of fights they do in the DB universe? That alone could hurt the game.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Chrono Jr

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:16 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
i would rather they do Bleach or Naruto.

I think DBZ would be one of the few animes to lind itself well to an MMO. Naruto lends itself too much to story and plot development, MMOs have a beginning story, but after that it's all about becoming stronger and leveling up. And Bleach I couldn't possibly imagine as a MMO.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kotanone

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:32 pm Reply with quote
to all of those who wanna know about diff races yes u can choose from many races u are able to choose from about all races that were seen in dbz such as demon, saiyan, namic, sayain/human hybrid, humna etc
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:08 am Reply with quote
Hopefully this MMORPG will make it's way over to the U.S. soon, I wouldn't want to play the Korean/Japanese version even if I had free access to it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4