• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fruits Basket Final Volume, Fanbook Released in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl wrote:
Neverwhere wrote:
I don't think it's strange to comfort and inspiration from fictional characters, do you? : )

"I don't think it's strange to find comfort and inspiration from fictional characters, do you?" (Was I correct in thinking that there was a word missing there, whether it was supposed to be "find" or not?)

Oh dear, that was a rather glaring typo, I can't believe I missed it. *grins sheepishly*

The question was rhetorical, but I am *so* glad you decided to answer it. Smile

I have always been inspired by fictional characters (I even have a small tattoo to prove it -- which I suppose is going a bit far but it's ever so meaningful to me : ), and I am relieved to know I am not the only one. Some of my earliest memories are of reading, and when I was younger books were my only friends, so I suppose it's not surprising I feel this way. When I see my beloved characters dealing with adversity and hardships, and overcome them, of course I want to find the strength in myself to do that too. It is, absolutely a cathartic experience. Especially in Furuba, where I identify so strongly with one character (Momiji), and care deeply about the fate of all the others. I love sharing their joy and sorrow and feeling uplifted and comforted by their experiences. I don't think it's odd to be so moved by fictional creations. I think it's wonderful. Smile
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Neverwhere wrote:
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl wrote:
Neverwhere wrote:
I don't think it's strange to comfort and inspiration from fictional characters, do you? : )

"I don't think it's strange to find comfort and inspiration from fictional characters, do you?" (Was I correct in thinking that there was a word missing there, whether it was supposed to be "find" or not?)

Oh dear, that was a rather glaring typo, I can't believe I missed it. *grins sheepishly*

No worries! It happens to the best of us! Very Happy

Neverwhere wrote:
I don't think it's odd to be so moved by fictional creations. I think it's wonderful. Smile

Right on, brother (or sister?)! Right on! I also always get very happy whenever I find out that I'm not the only one. And when I write my fiction, I always hope that my characters will somehow be inspirational to my readers. I guess I'm not only inspired by Takaya-sensei's characters, but by Takaya-sensei herself! Anime hyper
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Damn, the rumors were true. We heard about this 4 or 5 months ago, but couldn't find anything to corroborate it...

-t
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Hehehe, I'm female. Smile (Sometimes I think it's so obvious, and other times I think it's time to get a new avatar. ;- )

My #1 inspiration is the author Neil Gaiman, whom I am blessed to actually know in real life, albeit in a pen-pal sort of way. Anime catgrin His stories have been a part of my life for a very long time, and I aspire to be like him in many ways -- certainly in terms of writing, as I am constantly having to remind myself that even the best writers dislike their own work and revise like mad -- he is a joy to know and I hope his influence on me shows in subtle, but important ways. : )
angelus_0102001

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:15 pm Reply with quote
i hope its good, i wish i can have that final volume... in a basket. Laughing
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:28 am Reply with quote
Neverwhere wrote:
Hehehe, I'm female. Smile (Sometimes I think it's so obvious, and other times I think it's time to get a new avatar. ;- )

My #1 inspiration is the author Neil Gaiman, whom I am blessed to actually know in real life, albeit in a pen-pal sort of way. Anime catgrin His stories have been a part of my life for a very long time, and I aspire to be like him in many ways -- certainly in terms of writing, as I am constantly having to remind myself that even the best writers dislike their own work and revise like mad -- he is a joy to know and I hope his influence on me shows in subtle, but important ways. : )

Oh, no, no! Don't change your avatar! It's one of my favorites on ANN's forums, although I must admit that I don't know who the character is, I just love the fact that he's holding a book. Anime smile + sweatdrop Of course, if you want to change it, that's entirely up to you. Anime smallmouth Actually, I thought that I remembered seeing a thread where you said that you were female, but I couldn't quite remember for sure, so I played it safe!

That's pretty darn cool what you posted about Neil Gaiman! Anime hyper Is that why you chose the username that you did? The only published authors I really kind of know are the writing professors that I had in college, and none of them wrote fantasy, which is the genre I mainly work in. I loved the Sandman that was based on Japanese mythology -- The Dream Hunters, wasn't it, with illustrations by Amano? Unfortunately, I haven't read anything else by him -- yet! Anime catgrin I'll eventually get around to reading his stuff, there's just so much wonderful stuff to read!

I suppose that Natsuki Takaya is the most inspirational manga artist/writer to me (I mean, manga and anime totally influence my writing; it can't be helped), but I can't really pick a specific novelist or short story writer or anyone like that, although I really love Peter S. Beagle's work.

Oh, yeah, what you said earlier about your tattoo -- I don't think that that's going too far. Especially not after watching a show that my brother enjoys -- Miami Ink! I thought it was interesting to see how meaningful tattoos can be to people. I mean, none of the people in that show chose their tattoo just because. They put a lot of thought and effort behind their choice and really wanted their choice to be meaningful.

tempest wrote:
Damn, the rumors were true. We heard about this 4 or 5 months ago, but couldn't find anything to corroborate it...

Question But what about when the last chapter came out, back in November I think it was...wouldn't that have signaled that the last volume would be coming out a some point in the future? (By the way, I admit that I'm totally clueless as to how news people corroborate stories).

To anyone who thinks that 23 volumes of Fruits Basket is too long: How committed are you to Fruits Basket? Getting involved in a relationship with a manga story usually takes commitment, if yuh ask me. Wink
NinjaUmbreon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:37 pm Reply with quote
aluria wrote:
Though honestly, I was surprised when I heard there was a vol.23 since vol. 22 summed basically everything up. It seemed like a good ending.

I agree vol. 22 did seem to wrap up everything. It'll be interesting to see what happens in vol. 23.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3