• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Expo Adds Transformers Preview, Posts Film List

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:49 am Reply with quote
From a Dark Horizons interview:

I was not a transformer fan before I signed on to this movie. I think I was two years older when the toys came out so I just discovered girls instead but I quickly became, after I went to Hasbro, where you heard about that Transformer school, I'm really thinking 'What the fudge am I going to Hasbro for Transformer school'. They actually - I thought I was going to learn how to fold up robots but I met with the CEO and I went through the whole Transformer law and I was, I've been offered a lot of superhero movies before and nothing's really appealed to me and I, you know, in the room, because I've been such a fan of Japanese anime, it just hit me that if I make this really real, it could be something very new and different and so I quickly became probably one of the bigger Transformer fans in the world. And I tried to make this movie for non Transformer fans. OK? And I wanted it to be a little bit more if you could say 'adult'. So I'm sure I'm going to get flack for 'You made an edgy movie on a toy. How's that going to affect kids?' I know there are Transformer fans that are like forty years old...Well listen, I'm a huge Transformer fan now. I can officially say I probably should have thought more about robots on earth than anyone in the past year and a half. But yeah I actually think that because I wasn't a fan, I think makes it more accessible to other people, you know? Does that make sense?

Rolling Eyes
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:14 am Reply with quote
Wow, pure genius. [/sarcasm]

I am actually going to hold of until I see the movie myself to pass judgement. I must say the previews make it look like a fairly good scifi action flick so I would be lying to say I wasn't a little excited.

But it's crap like this that scares me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
testorschoice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:41 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I'm sure that's what they said about the New Coke, too. Rolling Eyes

Most people waited until they tasted new Coke before they said anything.

Heck, most people waited until new Coke came OUT before they said anything silly like "bastardizes a classic." Wink
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:39 am Reply with quote
From the Hollywood Reporter:

Cartoon Network Studios and Hasbro Inc. are co-producing a new animated "Transformers" series set to premiere in January that they're hoping will build on the momentum created by the highly anticipated "Transformers" movie opening July 3 and the film's DVD release in the fall.

While there have been three other "Transformers" series on Cartoon Network and eight series altogether since 1984, this is the first one Hasbro is co-producing with Cartoon rather than its Japanese toy and production partner, Takara.

Cartoon and Hasbro execs said the new series, "Transformers Animated," will be significantly different than the others, adding humor, never-before-seen characters and a new premise in which the Autobots fight evil humans in Superhero fashion much more frequently than they battle the Decepticons -- the traditional "Transformers" lore since the property launched as a toy in 1984...

...Samantha Lomow, Hasbro global vp marketing for the Transformers brand, said that in the new Cartoon series, the robots will have a lot more human qualities, allowing kids to identify with the characters much more than in previous series...

Rolling Eyes
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:29 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Go back to the 80's and stay there you annoying, arrogant dipshit. (To be honest, that cartoon idea does sound kind of awkward. You also arent allowed to reply to my posts Gatsu, so don't bother)

Seeing this on thursday. I actually got the Barricade toy for my birthday, and the frenzy minicon/robot thing that shoots from it looks awful, like a rejected star wars toy. I'm going in with very few expectations, incase it does suck, in which case I won't be dissapointed. However I'm not going to see it under the impression the 80's version was a freakin' holy grail or anything.

I keep seeing advertising saying its out on the 3rd/4th of july, so why is australia getting it on the 28th of june? Very strange. Sure we had things like Pirates 3 out on technically the same day, but several hours in advance, but this is kind-of unprecedented.
Canuckian

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:25 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
From the Hollywood Reporter:

Cartoon Network Studios and Hasbro Inc. are co-producing a new animated "Transformers" series set to premiere in January that they're hoping will build on the momentum created by the highly anticipated "Transformers" movie opening July 3 and the film's DVD release in the fall.

While there have been three other "Transformers" series on Cartoon Network and eight series altogether since 1984, this is the first one Hasbro is co-producing with Cartoon rather than its Japanese toy and production partner, Takara.

Cartoon and Hasbro execs said the new series, "Transformers Animated," will be significantly different than the others, adding humor, never-before-seen characters and a new premise in which the Autobots fight evil humans in Superhero fashion much more frequently than they battle the Decepticons -- the traditional "Transformers" lore since the property launched as a toy in 1984...

...Samantha Lomow, Hasbro global vp marketing for the Transformers brand, said that in the new Cartoon series, the robots will have a lot more human qualities, allowing kids to identify with the characters much more than in previous series...

Rolling Eyes

Guess what was also attached to that; what Cartoon Network and Hasbro called Prime, this time:

Worse off is that the Transformers apparently jump and kick to Transform, and every episode of a series planned for like 100+ are apparently all Villian of the Week.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Canuckian: Sounds like another Loonatics-style hatchet job to me.
Canuckian

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Now introducing the Autobot Cast of Transformers Animated:

Also attached:

"26 episodes will be produced initially, along with a 90-minute special that will launch the series. The staff of the series includes supervising director Matt Youngberg (Teen Titans / The Batman), executive producer Sam Register (Ben 10 / Teen Titans), character designs by Derrick Wyatt (Teen Titans), and head writer Marty Isenberg (X-Men / Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles). After preproduction is completed at Cartoon Network Studios, Animation will be done by Japanese studio Mook." From: IGN

Last edited by Canuckian on Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:36 pm Reply with quote
WTF?! Bay's film has a higher RT and IMDB score than the original! Mad
Canuckian

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:48 pm Reply with quote
And Ebert gave the film a 3 out of 4 stars, and is my Animated Autobot link broken?

Here is the Cast of Animated:

Prowl (Jeff Dennis)
Prime (David Kaye)
Bumblebee (Bumper Robinson)
Ultra Magnus (Jeff Dennis)
Arcee (Susan Blu)
Black Arachnia (Cree Summer)
Grimlock (David Kaye)
Lugnut (David Kaye)
Starscream (Tom Kenney)
Ratchet (Corey Burton)
Shockwave (Corey Burton)
Megatron (Corey Burton)
Jazz (Phil LaMarr)
Blurr (John Moschitta)
Bulkhead (Bill Fagerbacky)

Also of note, Weird Al Yankovic, has apparently been casted as a reacurring rumored Jukion character(Ie. made of garbage, or is a garbage vehicle).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3