• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:07 am Reply with quote
Meh, this arc has mostly been rather boring to me. Still waiting for some good stuff to happen. I mean, it hasn't been horrible, but nowhere near any of the arcs in the first season, imo. I actually like the comedy in Higurashi (makes for a nice dramatic change in atmosphere), but they've kind of been dragging it out in this arc so far. Episode 4 was the best so far (particularly, the second half of the episode was pretty good), but nothing great imo. Based on the preview though, episode 5 looks like it's going to deliver some more stuff of what made me fall in love with the first season though.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:16 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
Meh, this arc has mostly been rather boring to me. Still waiting for some good stuff to happen. I mean, it hasn't been horrible, but nowhere near any of the arcs in the first season, imo.

It's probably because it's an anime-original arc of which the primary purpose is to fill in the holes and misunderstandings of the first season. I don't expect there will be much blood or carnage in Yakusamashi-hen, but it's pretty informative so far.

Also, they have a lot of time and space (probably too much, even) to take it slow, drag it out, add lots of happy fun time, etc., seeing as how there's only 3 arcs and 26 episodes to fill.
LuckySleven

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:49 am Reply with quote
Well I'm hoping for more in episode 5, I'm starting to get bored. It's like sitting through the first 20 minutes of an action movie, it just keeps building up and up until BLAME~! The good part occurs. Until then I'm hoping that it'll end magnificently bloody. But at least in this episode it gets a tad more serious with mild comic relief.

Aside from that, has anyone notice Mion's gun? I'm pretty sure that normal people wouldn't let someone her age carry a gun openly like that. I'm guessing it's because she's an important person after all. Rolling Eyes
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:21 am Reply with quote
LuckySleven wrote:
Aside from that, has anyone notice Mion's gun? I'm pretty sure that normal people wouldn't let someone her age carry a gun openly like that. I'm guessing it's because she's an important person after all. Rolling Eyes

Yup. It's been seen in Season 1 as well.

Though it's spoiler[not really a gun, per se].

Unless we're talking about different things, then never mind. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
ryokoalways

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:24 am Reply with quote
The current arc is original material, so because it's basically jammed in there, the amount of new info they can work with is limited in my opinion. The current arc is ok so far, but I don't think the tone would be the same as the previous arcs regardless due to the fact that these two answer arcs leads to the "good" ending. I'm actually not sure what to expect.
SnowfairyX

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:25 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
Just watched Episode 4, and man, was it creepy.

spoiler[Satoko and Rika's being stalked, but Rika doesn't notice, and no one believes anything Satoko says. Satoko calls for help, but the detective man is killed before he can call for aid. All the stalker guys have just stepped through Satoko's rope trap thingy, and now they're out to get her. All this and Rika's "everyone will die" prediction almost guarentees the arc ending with Satoko's death, but given that Satoko's dilemma is easily sympathised with this time around, it'll be pretty sad to see Satoko die.]

Actually, judging from the preview of the next episode, spoiler[I believe Satoko will end up being the sole survivor this time around. For how long after everybody else is dead, I'm not sure, since she already looked like she was in pretty bad shape and needing an oxygen mask to breathe.]

Besides this episode being slightly creepy in the last half, I found it very interesting how Rika noticed something seemingly insignificant as a few threads being cut on her shrine maiden stick thingy, which apparently, was left alone in her past existence. I'm wondering what exactly caused this to occur and what if any significance that will have for the conclusion of this arc and possibly for the remaining arcs.

Anyway, I thought this episode was excellent. The arc overall was a little slower than I was hoping for and had just a tad too much juvenile nonsense but simply seeing Rika's interactions with everything up to this point more than make up for that. I'm not entirely sure if she has a split personality or simply that she puts up an incredibly good performance of acting cute. And she's cute even when spoiler[she's dead and disemboweled.] Either way, I absolutely adore Rika and consider her my favorite Higurashi character by far, which likely isn't going to change unless something extremely drastic happens down the road.

It's also good to see more focus on Satoko in this arc too since she didn't seem to have enough character development in the last season that I originally ranked her only above Shion as favorite character.

I really can't wait until the next episode and will try to hold back this time from watching the raw first due to my impatience.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:09 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
PantsGoblin wrote:
Meh, this arc has mostly been rather boring to me. Still waiting for some good stuff to happen. I mean, it hasn't been horrible, but nowhere near any of the arcs in the first season, imo.

It's probably because it's an anime-original arc of which the primary purpose is to fill in the holes and misunderstandings of the first season. I don't expect there will be much blood or carnage in Yakusamashi-hen, but it's pretty informative so far.

Also, they have a lot of time and space (probably too much, even) to take it slow, drag it out, add lots of happy fun time, etc., seeing as how there's only 3 arcs and 26 episodes to fill.

Judging by the preview, episode 5 isn't going to be pretty.

While this arc is certainly different than what we've previously seen, I'm enjoying it and its nice that they are filling in some of the holes from the first season.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Watched Episode 4.

It seems like Satoko will be the one to go nuts this episode. She's losing her trust in her friends fast, and it looks like her and Rika will be in big trouble in the next episode, according to the episode preview. Having spoiler[Kyosuke and Katsuya(?) dead] doesn't help matters, either.

It feels like Episode 5 will be the end of the Anime-exclusive arc. Though having 20 episodes for the two remaining answer arcs seems a little much... Well, we'll just have to see.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:24 am Reply with quote
Yeah, that seems like a lot, but hopefully it will mean they can keep everything from in the game arcs and they won't have to remove anything, or at least anything remotely important.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:38 am Reply with quote
Imo, episode five was great. While this whole arc was probably my least favorite, I really liked this episode. spoiler[They gave quite a bit of info on the great Hinamizawa disaster. It is pretty obvious at this point that there was no poisonous gas eruption, at least, not any by accident (Most people probably could've already guessed this though anyway). It would appear most of the villagers were killed by these "men" in one way or another. Rika's death in particular seemed to be important, although they didn't show exactly what happened. Could assume she was just cut up, but I don't want to assume. Also, I'm guessing Satoko's death wasn't an accident either. The guy peeking over the corner with the hat and the nurse seemed to suspicious... ] Looking forward to the next episode as well of course...
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:59 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
(Description and thoughts, with spoilers)

So, is there going to be another episode for Yakusamashi-hen? If it was in your spoilers, then I didn't read it. Surprised
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:39 am Reply with quote
No, this episode wrapped up this arc. What's next is unknown, because there was no preview, just something pointing to oyashirosama.com.

I thought it was interesting spoiler[how Kei, the Sonozakis, the teacher, and all the kids where in the school. They should have all been at home. And if the 'gas incident' that killed everyone had happened during the day, it would have killed Satoko and Rika then as well.]
Ramadahl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:43 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
I thought it was interesting spoiler[how Kei, the Sonozakis, the teacher, and all the kids where in the school. They should have all been at home. And if the 'gas incident' that killed everyone had happened during the day, it would have killed Satoko and Rika then as well.]

Yeah, that struck me too. Although I wonder if that was just the writers taking the easy option. Considering it's an anime-original arc, I'd think things like that would be more likely to occur.

Oh... a few posts here made me want to bring up what we learned at the end of the first season: - specifically, that there're no aliens and no virus. And Takano Miyo (aka Droopy-tan) played a major role in creating and spreading these stories.

So, as of episode 5, the catch-up arc is over... as far as I can tell, what we've learnt is: -
spoiler[
1. Rika's talking to... someone. Eh, you'll find out soon enough.
2. Rika is killed specifically, rather than just another random casualty. We can probably extrapolate this to other resets too.
3. The generic goons play a much larger role than they had previously, meaning the conspiracy is larger than it has appeared before.
4. The Hinamizawa disaster wasn't volcanic gas - it was intentional. Big surprise Razz .]

... which allows us to conclude that the NHK is behind it all. >.>
Anyone spot something I missed?

Also, a couple questions I thought of: -
spoiler[
Why move Rika's body to the shrine? This isn't the first time it's happened, right?
Why does Tomitake always get killed first?
Why does Hanyu suck so much?]
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:49 pm Reply with quote
What's strange to me about this arc is that despite being an anime-original that's supposed to fill you in on missing details, from the way it's progressed, it seems suspiciously like an answer arc to Tatarigoroshi-hen (Satoko's arc), which probably means that while Minagoroshi-hen is "officially" Tatarigoroshi-hen's answer arc, it's probably barely related and instead proceeds to continue uncovering the entire mystery itself.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Ramadahl wrote:
spoiler[
2. Rika is killed specifically, rather than just another random casualty. We can probably extrapolate this to other resets too.]

Well, aside from the times spoiler[she stabs herself to death.]

Quote:
spoiler[3. The generic goons play a much larger role than they had previously, meaning the conspiracy is larger than it has appeared before.]

So maybe Keiichi was right to be paranoid in the first arc after all...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8