• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The Santa Claus

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Not a Jellyfish

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:57 pm Reply with quote
icepick314 wrote:
p.s. i see he also has Steel Battalion for Xbox!!! i still play that once in a while...fun game!!!

Ah, I was going to comment on his Steel Battalion, too! I think I'm more jealous of that than anything. Perhaps if I could SEE the collection and not just boxes....
Lowlife187

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:23 pm Reply with quote
What came in the Geneon 5 gallon bucket???? Official Anime colored paint??? I've always wanted Hellsing Red on my walls.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Lowlife187 wrote:
What came in the Geneon 5 gallon bucket???? Official Anime colored paint??? I've always wanted Hellsing Red on my walls.

It was one of those awful popcorn buckets with caramel, cheese and butter flavored popcorn. Geneon sent them out as holiday promotional items a few years ago.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:35 pm Reply with quote
icepick314 wrote:
man....talk about "Bah!! Humbug!!!" review for My Santa....

"Bah!! Humbug!!!" requires something actually Christmassy to be bashed for that to apply. In the case of "My Santa" Christmas is just a backdrop used as an excuse to toss out fanservice and "develop" another mindless generic harem flick. I can't believe anyone would accuse Bamboo of being a Scrooge for not liking "Harem Show #973,431,092" just because it pretends to be Christmassy for the sake of creating a reason to show frame after frame of fanservice.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lyrai

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Unholy_Nny wrote:
fxg97873 wrote:
GATSU wrote:
Does your trashing of a Ken Akamatsu anime mean you'll be the one who gets fired next? Rolling Eyes

Who got fired?

mk2000

It's still a rumor, yet everyone treats it like fact...

Gamespot was running a big ad campaign for Kane & Lynch, the guy who reviewed it completely trashed the game in his review, he got fired.

So, people are speculating that Eidos threatened to pull the ADs unless the dude got fired for his review.

But, due to privacy, no one can say why the guy got fired. I really think if he had gotten fired for that reason, he would be pissed and say it was over the review, without caring about consequences.

While I wouldn't doubt the fact that it's true, it IS still a rumor and people keep spreading it the moment they can.

He can't speak about it because he's contractually obligated to not talk about it. He wants to have a prayer of getting another job, period, so he's keeping his mouth closed about it.

That said, there's been no shortage of high-profile sites getting detailed lists of what happened from supposed "insiders." The more reputable ones seem to have the same story: Game is advertised, review is released, Eidos pulls (Does not threaten to, but actually does) several million dollars of advertising, Gerstmann is fired "on the spot" in retaliation for it, the story is leaked to the internet by someone mad at said firing, internet explodes.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Aaugh! I'd - ahem - acquired a copy of Itsudatte My Santa and after watching ten minutes I could take no more. Delete! Delete!
I mean, I have a soft spot for Love Hina, I have it all on DVD, and shall be digging out the aforementioned Christmas Special next week as part of my festive viewing.

But this was just stupid. One for Ken Akamatsu or Aya Hirano completists only, I feel
Vicserr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Man, so the only thing worth it for me in that list is SRW:OG DW, pure, unadulterated mecha fanservice. if it wasn't for the price tag, I would be all over this sweet purty title. Cool

Nice to see Chris B. Loading dock, I mean anime collection. (AOD is my normal stomping ground Wink )
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
psycho 101 wrote:
Couldn't be worse then Sei in the tv series with her boobs popping out of that "bathing suit" she was wearing. Though she did have more personality then Meg at least i thought.

Laughing

I know right!

Here's the thing though. She already had big jugs. But when she went and got in a bathing suit, they miraculously went two sizes bigger! I wonder where she keeps the nozzles to inflate those puppies!? Wait, don't answer that.

But your right. I actually wish they spent a little more time with Sei. She actually seemed pretty interesting when she was in normal mode. Twisted Evil

When they did that little bit on her "clan" when they wer eon the cruise ship was good stuff. I thought that was some of the best material before they got to Jo's origin. I understand the relationship between Jo and Meg but damn it if Meg didn't seem utterly useless during the series. Then they end it spoiler[with her in a Jo-ish outfit and Jango? Wth?!] I was disheartened they never developed Sei more since she seemed to be interesting and actually have a personality.
Berserkfury819

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:03 pm Reply with quote
sabriyahm wrote:
Unholy_Nny wrote:

I hated Demon Hunter's new CD, but I bought it anyways. Support the artists you like, even if it's not their greatest.

That's my personal opinion, atleast.

I see your point but I don't think it's a good idea to support someones dreck. How will the artists know whether their work is good or bad if I buy everything they make? They might start coming up with more crap because they thought their fans liked it.

I liked Demon Hunter's new cd. I thought it was really good. Incidentally, I also like the buckets with three flavors of popcorn. Cheese popcorn is good.
1stAgent

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
Maybe people will buy it if we mention that Aya Hirano voices Mai, the main "Santa" of the show... lol

Akamatsu's cheating on Yui Horie?! The scandal!

Incidentally, ever since the banner ads started popping up, I was hoping for a review clarifying just how bad it was. A rare "Perishable" will do nicely.

For the record, I loved the Love Hina series and specials, but lost all faith in Akamatsu after the follow-up OVA and Negima.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Asrialys

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:20 am Reply with quote
1stAgent wrote:
For the record, I loved the Love Hina series and specials, but lost all faith in Akamatsu after the follow-up OVA and Negima.

If you're talking about the anime adaptations, then I don't think those are quite Akamatsu's fault.
escahime65

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:25 am Reply with quote
On a side note, I love Connections with James Burke too! Unfortunately I've never found anyone else who watched it and I don't think he's done anything more lately. He really made history entertaining. You guys should check it out.

As for the reviews, I'm happy to find out that Santa is just a bad as it seems from the preview. Won't waste my time on that baby since I could barely tolerate Love Hina. Not so interested in the rest of the titles reviewed either.
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:27 am Reply with quote
1stAgent wrote:

Negima -- the manga -- is way more interesting than Love Hina. And I'm sitting right here with all 14 volumes of Love Hina on display, so yeah.

Of course, you need to get past the idea that the main character is a 10 years old, with gazillion 14 years olds crushing on him, and random underage fanservice before one's able to enjoy the fun, but hey, that's part of the Akamatsu deal.
Twage

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:53 am Reply with quote
Keeping in mind I haven't seen Itsudatte My Santa! (nor will I ever), when you wrote:

Quote:
In the second episode, they go to the beach. And a hot spring.

I truly and honestly thought you were kidding.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:27 am Reply with quote
Dop.L wrote:
One for Ken Akamatsu or Aya Hirano completists only, I feel
Completist mentality is about 30% of why I will be buying My Santa. Another 10% is simply wanting to hear it in English as that is my personal preference. The remaining 60% driving my plans to buy this is the simple fact that I actually liked it. (Perhaps this says things about me best left unsaid, but there you go.)

It's not the best anime ever, but it accomplished the task of making me feel entertained, it's cheap, and I do enjoy Akamatsu's style.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4