• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Films Removes Titles from Website - Update

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kokuryu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Now I know why Pani Poni Dash was suddenly removed from their online VOD offerings... Wow, I am glad I ordered a bunch of titles I was missing recently, but now it looks like I still need to order a few more just to make sure I have them...

Looks like the future for anime is going to be fansubs instead of R1 releases at this rate...
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I want my last DVD of Kurau: Phantom Memory goddamnnit.
kakitamike

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Did adv have any series currently in production/release that they didn't yank?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ari-chan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:03 pm Reply with quote
This sounds like one of those "keep your chin up and wait and see what happens" games. Which is exactly what I will do, as worrisome as it is.

To me it sounds like ADV is having some instability with some of thier current licenses due to something going on between them and the Sojitz Corp. and are trying to take a some safety precautions. Nothing here implies they are dying... If anything it just sounds like thier gonna shrink down for a little while and build up again later when they are stable. At least with Geneon, you knew it was coming months before. If it is happening with ADV, then they are doing a much better job at hiding it.
Stullz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I agree with Zac, This release only tells us that something is going on.
We have to wait for the results. Threatening and complaining wont exactly help anything in this situation.

I also remember when ADV's site was hacked in the past. Could be something similar.

Wait and see.

(It's a conspiracy of the NHK) lol
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Calculusman wrote:
Quote:
Of course ADV could have avoided much trouble had they not done something as bizarrely cryptic as removing titles from their website, which was definitely a spectacularly bad PR move.

I don't think we can even say that it was dictated by PR at this point. Something may have happened and someone demanded they take it down until the situation was resolved. The point of this entire thing is that we just don't know.

Oh, I certain wasn't implying that this was dictated by actual professional public relations involvement (otherwise someone should be looking for a new job).
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Well we do know the online store is in the shit-can, and ADV ain't talking.

The only thing to do is look to the shelves of the B&M and online stores to see if the many titles that are going to be released soon, show up on the shelves. Especially ones scheduled for two weeks from yesterday. If they don't, then our worst fears will be confirmed, for the most part.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ari-chan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Well we do know the online store is in the shit-can, and ADV ain't talking.

The only thing to do is look to the shelves of the B&M and online stores to see if the many titles that are going to be released soon, show up on the shelves. Especially ones scheduled for two weeks from yesterday. If they don't, then our worst fears will be confirmed, for the most part.

Not nessecarily. If the releases are cancelled, then all pre-orders should be cancelled before that right? The pre-orders would have to be refunded. Like Geneon, odds are they are going to make all titles available until a specific release date. and all shipments would then go as planned, until everything is shipped out... then their out. ADV just the killing the titles without any prior warning would be absolutly ridiculus. If they are going out, then they are going to say say "you can buy any title coming out by this date by this month/date/year, after that we are no longer selling the products, and all shipment will go out as planned". So those titles coming out two weeks from now are most likely still going out. But the odds of any title further then that are still up in the air.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Wow, looks like they've removed some pretty big titles from their site. I'm sure though like people are saying there is a valid reason for their doing this, and while it may be a little disappointing, we still have ADV. They haven't turned into Geneon yet...
Bushwack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm thinking the collapse of the dollar vs. the yen (and every other currency for that matter ) is at the root of this. They are running a pretty low margin business over here and now ADV has to come up with more Dollars to pay off the Japanese license holder. Last Year a Dollar would get you 120+ yen now it's 106! and it will probably go lower.

At the very least these products are going to be alot more expense.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:44 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Wow, looks like they've removed some pretty big titles from their site. I'm sure though like people are saying there is a valid reason for their doing this, and while it may be a little disappointing, we still have ADV. They haven't turned into Geneon yet...
It's never the fall that kills. It's the sudden stop at the end.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Stullz wrote:
I agree with Zac, This release only tells us that something is going on.
We have to wait for the results. Threatening and complaining wont exactly help anything in this situation.

Wait and see.
Yeah, he's right. I guess I'll just wait too. We really don't have much of a change in situation or news today. It just seems dire right now.

Stullz wrote:
(It's a conspiracy of the NHK) lol

SHHHHH!!! They're watching us! lol
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I run an anime website decided to Ah! My Goddess and with one final DVD to be released as of yet, I'm hoping to have some news on whether the final volume of the series will be released. It would be a shame if ADV Films just all out and stopped the releases of these final volumes.

I just hope that I can get some news regarding this issue ...

Plus, I'm starting to wonder if maybe Sojitz is trying to strongarm ADV Films tor higher licensing fees being that Geneon is now out of the business and the fact that Sojitz's profits from licensing have probably dropped.
Paploo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Nabeshin wrote:
I would think that--if anything-- the company is definitely going through some major cutbacks/reorganization if these alleged cancellations prove to be true in addition to Newtype/Network problems. Keep in mind that as of right now, the idea of these 37 being cut loose is still unconfirmed. If it does pan out, then perhaps it's better in the long run for now. ADV has entirely too many properties on their hands, and have had for quite a few years now. Stick to what works, and pick up a few wild cards here and there-- not everything but the kitchen sink.

Well, there is them releasing a brand-new, lower priced magazine with much of the same content the month after Newtype ends that'll probably give them a good boost.

In addition to that, their manga line has continued with solicitations for new volumes, with no changes found about that, and there's several new licenses like Sgt. Frog that aren't listed among those- so they still have new stuff to release, in addition to a number of series that aren't on that list that have yet to have thinpacks.

It's not like Geneon cancelling their entire catalogue at once- ADV is apparently still pushing forward with *some* releases, and their back catalogue will continue as well as any possible/logical rereleases [those DVD double packs would be nice to see more of, and they have over a dozen shows to thinpack], and without knowing the specifics of their contract with Sojitz.

It's entirely possible cuttingtheir contract off with Sojitz is beneficial tothem- no outside company to direct their licensing choices, more control over product [I imagine that played a factor in Newtype's change], and it's likely that many of the "hiatus"ed licenses are ones they can easily renegociate should they want to go forward with those releases.
DClark

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:52 pm Reply with quote
My complete guess with regards to the situation is that ADV isn't in serious financial trouble (if they were, they wouldn't be replacing Newtype USA with PiQ, they'd just be stopping it altogether and firing those who worked on Newtype USA), but the problem is the internet has muddied the waters of what ADV can and can't do with their North American anime licences and ADV has ended up stepping on some toes.

The japanese companies come calling and say "Hey, our agreement doesn't say anything about digital downloads or streaming from an online player, so we want more money.", or maybe with the cancelation of their 24/7 anime network ADV has stopped paying some sort of broadcast fee and they're saying "Hey, you still have to pay us even though you've shut down the Anime Network channel". ADV thinks differently and says no (or negotiations for internet revenue break down after a while), so the japanese companies enact some sort of clause in the agreement which forces ADV to remove the titles from their website. ADV now has to negotiate some sort of agreement or take the company to court.

My guess is that there are probably phone calls going all over the place and deals trying to be made and that's why ADV hasn't said anything, but we'll find out by next tuesday when Devil May Cry and Magikano have their DVDs either released or delayed. Even if it's delayed, I think it would only be pushed back until some sort of deal is hammered out; ADV still is generating revenue for them and they want that revenue, but they just want to be compensated for revenue ADV is generating from areas that may have been omitted from the original agreement.

That's my 2 cents on the situation, but I think it'll work out fine in the end. The sky's not falling, it's just raining.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4