• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood DVD Part 5

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
They never thought of themselves as Gods -__-

Where do you people get this stuff? Did Arakawa actually write Ed and Al as thinking they were omniponent? I'd be much more wary of reading the manga if so.

They thought they could bring back the dead (defying God/nature), and Ed did say that they where the closest things to Gods.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:28 pm Reply with quote
I chalk that up more to the innocence of children and desperation than anything else.
swienke

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

Where do you people get this stuff? Did Arakawa actually write Ed and Al as thinking they were omniponent? I'd be much more wary of reading the manga if so.

As far as I understood their characters, they lived by logic and science. They had no interest in deities or gods or the like. They had no conception of themselves as being greater than any other person, and if I recall correctly, that whole "All is one and one is all" ordeal that Izumi put them through made them realize extremely early on that they are dependent upon others and the world itself. No, they never thought they were gods.

They didn't think of themselves as gods per se, but I think that Ed in particular was initially convinced that they were smart and talented enough that they would be able to solve all of their problems on their own so long as they just kept chugging along, and that they could use alchemy to solve any problem. Much of Ed's character development over the course of the series was him coming to grips with the fact that there were no easy solutions, even with alchemy, and that his and Al's quest to regain their bodies wasn't happening in a vacuum. Yes, Izumi had tried to pound that lesson into both of them when they were younger, but I was under the impression that neither one of them truly internalized it until later: they understood it in an abstract sense, but they weren't really able to make the connection between that philosophy and their actual lives until the series had progressed more. Truly understanding the mechanics of a concept or philosophy and its ramifications as opposed to just knowing the surface points is something that requires maturity and experience, two things they simply didn't have at first.

In addition, I always got the feeling that Ed felt that his alchemy defined him as a person, and he was quite fond of talking about how alchemy was the closest thing that there actually was to God. He was, quite frankly, a bit of an arrogant twat who cared about very little other than using his skill to get his and Al's bodies back. The end, where he spoiler[traded his alchemy for Al's body], was the culmination of his path towards humility, and his realization that his identity as the Fullmetal Alchemist was not what defined him, but rather his identity as simply Edward Elric - friend, brother, son, and spoiler[lover] (potential spoiler[lover] at that point, but let's not get nitpicky).
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:06 am Reply with quote
Seraphim_Alchemist wrote:
People were put off by Blaylock's performance? He masterfully made that role his. Spine-tingling good! (same with Kent Williams).

Don't forget Brittney Karbowski. She was a hella good Pride; I LOVED her performance!
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:16 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
That is another thing I don't quite get.

Can somebody explain to me spoiler[how giving up his alchemy powers somehow is 'worth' the price of Ed's arm and leg, and Al's body, and Al's soul? They go on the entirety of the show focused on equivalent exchange, but yet at the end don't even really abide by it? I also thought it was hilarious when Marcoh just gave Mustang's sight back with the stone as if it was the easiest thing in the world. He could have done the exact same thing to restore Ed's and Al's bodies back, no?]

I think because Ed relied on his alchemy so much over the years that it gained so much purpose that it was equivelant to bringing his brother back. Alchemy is what got them into this mess in the first place. It was alchemy that made him lose his limbs and his brother's body. He thought that alchemy can solve all the world's problems. He went by the study of alchemy so much back in the day. At the end of the series you can see that Ed was still getting used to not being able to use alchemy. Instead of just using it to fix the roof of that house he now has to use a nail and hammer. I don't think you should think about as just his alchemy, but all that he went through because of it and all that he used it for. It wasn't just alchemy for him. It was practically his whole world. His existence.

And with Roy. Like everyone else said, Ed and Al didn't want to use it. And it is easy because it's the philospher stone.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:29 am Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:
Seraphim_Alchemist wrote:
People were put off by Blaylock's performance? He masterfully made that role his. Spine-tingling good! (same with Kent Williams).

Don't forget Brittney Karbowski. She was a hella good Pride; I LOVED her performance!

It may be her finest role and performance to date but the entire English cast of Brotherhood is fantastic..Kent Williams,Vic Mignogna,Maxey Whitehead,Chris Sabat,Caitlin Glass,Ed Blaylock,Michael Tatum,Wendy Powell,Travis Willingham,Colleen Clinkenbeard,Troy Baker,Stephanie Young and John Swasey were all obviously great..a few honorable mentions Bruce Elliott,Bill Jenkins,Bradley Campbell,Kenny Green and Trina Nishimura were grand as well..such a phenomenal cast.
kpk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:27 am Reply with quote
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
The last 'fight' of this series was such a let-down. I have the other 4 parts, so I'll probably end up with the 5th part anyway, but I don't think I'll ever rewatch the final showdown ever again. All the build-up and it just fizzled.

Really?That's the first time I've heard of anyone complaining about the final fight in the series with Father..usually its met with praise but to each their own I suppose..personally I loved every second of it.

I like fighting with my shounen. spoiler[If the last episode of One Piece deals with The Big Bad Boss overloading on power and the Straw Hats winning without a punch being thrown, I will be just as disappointed.]

Well its not like Father is easily defeated by any means..

Actually, that was exactly the problem!

For such a powerful being that caused so much damage he was defeated quite easily.

Literally a minute after he carried out his grand plan, he spoiler[lost his control over the "God" and the battle.]

It was very anti-climactic...
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:34 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

Um no but in the very first chapter (which actually happens to be in the first anime as well) Ed says "we alchemists who do not believe in God are the closest thing to him."

Whereas even in the first chapter Ed realizes he had too much hubris to try to bring back the dead, he doesn't realize his words are still full or arrogance. And he still relies on alchemy for all the answers.

When you say where do we people get this since you mean me: From the narrative.

Although the concept of "God" in FMA is not necessarily the Judeo-Christian God.

edit: Great post swienke. Your explanation was a lot more eloquent than mine. Smile

Last edited by Maidenoftheredhand on Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:06 am; edited 2 times in total
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:39 am Reply with quote
kpk wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
The last 'fight' of this series was such a let-down. I have the other 4 parts, so I'll probably end up with the 5th part anyway, but I don't think I'll ever rewatch the final showdown ever again. All the build-up and it just fizzled.

Really?That's the first time I've heard of anyone complaining about the final fight in the series with Father..usually its met with praise but to each their own I suppose..personally I loved every second of it.

I like fighting with my shounen. spoiler[If the last episode of One Piece deals with The Big Bad Boss overloading on power and the Straw Hats winning without a punch being thrown, I will be just as disappointed.]

Well its not like Father is easily defeated by any means..

Actually, that was exactly the problem!

For such a powerful being that caused so much damage he was defeated quite easily.

Literally a minute after he carried out his grand plan, he spoiler[lost his control over the "God" and the battle.]

It was very anti-climactic...

Well spoiler[ Father simply miscalculated in the fact that he never thought Hohenheim would use the very eclipse that helped him gain his power right back against him but no in that moment the battle was still undecided it wasn't until Edward regained his arm that Father had truly lost the war..personally I don't find it anti-climatic at all..everything played out beautifully in the end.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3