• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Editorial Director Gary Steinman Leaves ADV's PiQ Mag

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TornadoTatsumaki

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:52 am Reply with quote
Crawly wrote:
TornadoTatsumaki wrote:
This speculation that "ADV is doomed" is total B.S. Take it from someone who lives in thier Houston,Texas headqaurters who's met most of the V.A.s,ADR directors,and market coridnators.

Others have said the VA's give as much gloom and doom to ADV's future as we are. Why believe you over them?
I'll tell you why Because there are times were you don't really have to take them seriously and times when you do.
Quote:
During this quarter ADV has had to make some changes, The Anime Network fares better on VOD then as a cable network,Why do you think Funimation discontinued it's network? As for Newtype that was Kadokawa Shoten's decision to bail out of ADV's five year deal refusing to entend thier contract.

Personally, I never saw any of this as bad. Actually saw it as some wise business decisions. Until I found out what the new mag was going to be. But that's just a matter of personal preference. It may do very well for them, I just won't be buying it. Though I do like VOD a lot. If only they'd cater to us sub fans, I'd give them some money there, too. But we don't count. Wink
I watch subs more then dubs and considering that Anime Network has been availible
Quote:
And the decision to pull a dozen new titles was a minor license extension matter and nothing else, ADV says they will be availible for purchase again next month.

ADV actually hasn't said word one about the releases they pulled. They haven't said why they were pulled, why they haven't shipped, what's going on with them, or when we can expect to see them again. Except to you. So you'll understand why I don't take your reassurance as anything other than more talk. I don't know who you are, which is the primary problem. If you have been told something that no one else has, though, it's great to hear.
You probably don't live in Houston, So you don't attend the Alamo theater every tuesday. Last I was there, Clint Blackman was there he said it was a minor license issue that has already been cleared.

Quote:
So ADV is not showing any signs of doom! We KNOW what happened to Geneon and why they folded but ADV is making several changes only there March fiscal comes in they we'll have plenty to look foward to.

I don't share your optimism. Especially when the company is having to be so silent about what it's doing. I understand they can't talk while the discussions with the people who hold them over a financial barrel are taking place, but it's still a bit unnerving. DLW has always been one of the more vocal members of the industry, after all. When he gets quite, it's usually a bad thing.

So your saying you want ADV to go under? Well sorry but it's not happening! Just because a few title get temporary pulled from the market along with a magazine change Which on January 22, Greg Ayers himself said was Kadokawa Shoten's decision, and just because Anime Network goes VOD exclusive doesn't mean ADV is in any trouble at all! Romel Lee the ADV screen director encoraged all Alamo attendees not to believe any rumors about ADV having a bad future saying that its untrue and that the company is just making some changes before the March fiscal which is when they said they will ship back all the titles it temporary removed.
Crawly

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:00 pm Reply with quote
TornadoTatsumaki wrote:
So your saying you want ADV to go under?

Where did I say that? Being pessimistic because ADV hasn't said anything to anyone about what's going on doesn't mean I want them to fail.

Quote:
Just because a few title get temporary pulled from the market...

They pulled down more than just a few titles, and haven't given clear answers as to why or what's going on. That's a pretty major thing, especially at this point in time.

Quote:
...along with a magazine change Which on January 22, Greg Ayers himself said was Kadokawa Shoten's decision, and just because Anime Network goes VOD exclusive doesn't mean ADV is in any trouble at all!

I said specifically that I thought these moves were good buisness decissions and never considered them to be signs of trouble. However, ADV having licensing issues is trouble no matter how you look at it. I hope they'll be resolved to everyone's statisfaction, but I don't think ADV is going to come out of it unscathed. We'll likely never get the details.

Quote:
Romel Lee the ADV screen director encoraged all Alamo attendees not to believe any rumors about ADV having a bad future saying that its untrue and that the company is just making some changes before the March fiscal which is when they said they will ship back all the titles it temporary removed.

Geneon said the same things and kept going right up until the end, so you understand why I don't take much reassurance in that. It needs to come from Matt or DLW for me to believe it, and it needs to be followed by some concrete action.

Not being familiar with high end business practices, I have to ask what the March fiscal has to do with them pulling titles and getting things back out to the public? Are the lenders/stockholders (Sojitz) waiting to see the numbers before giving them some kind of greenlight to get things back to the public? Or is it something else? Early rumors were that it was money/licensing issues with Sojitz, so is the March fiscal related to that?
AnimeCornerStore
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
[Romel Lee the ADV screen director encoraged all Alamo attendees not to believe any rumors about ADV having a bad future saying that its untrue and that the company is just making some changes before the March fiscal which is when they said they will ship back all the titles it temporary removed.

I certainly hope what Romel said is true (we've heard much of the same from others down there), but what else could he say really? What can any of the folks at ADV say except that everything is going to be fine? For the past week we're being told by ADV management to keep ordering as normal and hope for good news to be coming shortly, and we are...

...but Gary bailing on PiQ is discouraging. Just 3 weeks ago he was 100% behind the new publication, and now he's leaving to head out for the Bay Area where there will be more opportunity for him than anything he's seeing right now in Houston. Executives that leave companies during a crisis and state it's for 'personal reasons' do so generally as a professional courtesy.

As a long time ad partner with Newtype, we were somewhat disappointed with the direction they decided to take with PiQ, and I've made no secret of that in public. I'm sure it will be a fine publication in it's own right, but it won't be an 'Anime' magazine in the way Newtype was. After much consideration, we decided not to pickup our ad contract with PiQ right away. I decided we should see at least the first issue and listen to fan feedback before we decide if it's worth our support. (We will continue to support Protoculture Addicts, which has always been my favorite Anime publication going back several years.)

On the other end, we really need to hear something official from ADV very soon. The blackout on title shipments and total lack of reliable information regarding future releases on such a major line is really beginning to hurt us out here at the retailer level.

I don't know, maybe all this shakeup in the industry is starting to make me a bit cranky... Shocked

Bob (aka Robert)
The Anime Corner Store
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Crawly wrote:
Geneon said the same things and kept going right up until the end, so you understand why I don't take much reassurance in that. It needs to come from Matt or DLW for me to believe it, and it needs to be followed by some concrete action.

What Geneon said on Sept. 26 was that they would cease "the sales of DVDs and all related distribution and marketing operations as of 5 p.m. on Friday, September 28, 2007" and that only orders for catalog products in inventory or new releases with a street date of November 6 or earlier would be accepted."

Which, of course, all came rolling down in very short time frame, and was actually nothing at all like any news coming out of ADV, who have merely said that they are working to overcome some temporary difficulties.

Quote:
Not being familiar with high end business practices, I have to ask what the March fiscal has to do with them pulling titles and getting things back out to the public?

Well, at the most basic level, if there is a breakdown in the Sojitz/ARM deal, and if the money to continue projects was going to be coming from ADV's funds instead of from the joint venture funds, then it would make sense to isolate that restructuring by quarter.
Romeo Charlie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Michael_Hearn wrote:
Personally, I think the best part of this news flash was the fact that "Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job!" will not be covered in the first issue. I think that show sucks and how anyone thinks anything about it could be print worthy for a magazine is beyond me.
You just earned yourself a big fat pat on the back! I couldn't agree with you more. When I saw that show listed on the mock-up awhile back, my opinion of the new magazine dropped immediately.

I don't think there's necessarily any reason to think that Mr. Steinman's leaving is over the absolute bile that PiQ may well be. Then again, I don't think there's any reason beyond his word, which will never give a bad opinion of his previous employers unless he never wants to work again, to believe that he isn't leaving over the magazine being terrible. I plan to give PiQ a chance. However, there weren't a lot of things that I really cared about in Newtype USA. (Lots of pretty pictures is nice, Japanese articles are cool, they just weren't what got me to subscribe or buy.)

My overall expectations have been lowered again.

"Absolute bile." Mighty strong words for something you haven't seen yet. I mean, if that's your opinion once you've read through the entire issue, then so be it.

On the other hand, I'd encourage you to give all the rest of the non-Tim and Eric stuff a chance. Who knows, maybe it'll end up being one step above heaven, just like your expectations.

testorschoice wrote:
wilson_x1999 wrote:
Article wrote:
Steinman also emphasized that, despite a mention in the early cover mockup, the Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job! program will not be featured in PiQ's first issue.

The thing that bothers is this part:

Article wrote:
...program will not be featured in PiQ's first issue.

So, they'll feature that crap in some other issue, and continues to be, epic failure for the magazine.

Mr. Steinman can only speak for the first issue since that's the only one he (was) in charge of. Mr. Steinman can't talk about future issues because he'll be half a country away. Fortunately, if ADV is reading this thread, then the next person in charge will probably make sure it won't be in future issues either. Wink

This is true. What's not true is that Steinman won't have reach over any Tim and Eric coverage, despite being halfway across the country. He has very long arms. I mean, like LONG. Not short.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:58 pm Reply with quote
I dunno, from what i'm gathering, PiQ is trying to cover to many bases for one magazine. Whether that is a good thing or not financially is one thing, but to me, it's skimping on one thing in order to do another.

Case in point: Wizard turned from a magazine mostly covering Comic Books and slowly de-evolved into a general entertainment magazine. What does Heroes have to do with Comics and why does it deserve a several page spread? And why bother when other mags might get that info faster and much earlier (which did seem to do sometimes, with Wizard being months behind on stories).

Same is true with alot of Car magazines like Import Tuner and DUB's; they seem to try and be like Esquire, GQ or even Maxim in some cases. One page, your seeing some uber fast 3 trillion HP monster, the next, you have clothing reviews. Huh?

What I think PiQ needs to do is focus in one general swath. General Nerdom isn't specific enough. Or general Pop Culture and the 18-34 demographic. It leaves it open for it to be broad and maybe overreaching.
Crawly

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:54 pm Reply with quote
MokonaModoki wrote:
What Geneon said on Sept. 26...

Don't remember the dates, but they also said that they'd licensed several new shows and had a distribution deal set up with ADV to keep things going. Their issues were temporary and they were working them out. Sounds pretty similar to what little ADV has said.

ADV is having license issues right now. Basically put, they no longer have the rights to distribute any of those titles that were part of the Sojitz deal (and right before the pull told at least one anime club they no longer had the right to give them permission to screen one of their titles). If they can work it out, it's a temporary situation. If they can't, we'll be getting that "just in case" press release about them halting production that was leaked accidentally.

Quote:
Quote:
Not being familiar with high end business practices, I have to ask what the March fiscal has to do with them pulling titles and getting things back out to the public?

Well, at the most basic level, if there is a breakdown in the Sojitz/ARM deal, and if the money to continue projects was going to be coming from ADV's funds instead of from the joint venture funds, then it would make sense to isolate that restructuring by quarter.

I understand the idea of restructuring by quarter. That makes sense. However, completely pulling every title you've licensed in the last 2 years and halting all distribution seems kinda drastic if all you're doing is restructuring your release plans. They've also been entirely too silent on the matter, which means they're probably negotiating something with their Japanese friends. Like I said, I expect them to pull something out of their hats, but I don't think this is a simple, temporary issue that will be solved by the magic of the March fiscal report. ADV is going to be feeling this for a long time down the road.
Hero of legend

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Why are people saying ADV is dying?

They're great at dubbing Amine.

Why can't 4Kids be the ones dying? They deserve to be. Mad

Who else is going to save Sonic once 4Kids loses the license? Crying or Very sad

Am I misunderstanding anything?
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Crawly wrote:
Don't remember the dates, but they also said that they'd licensed several new shows and had a distribution deal set up with ADV to keep things going.

Here's a timeline for reference.
2007-08-24 ICV2 reports that ADV is taking Over Geneon's sales, marketing, distribution effective October 1, 2007.
2007-08-29 Press release: ADV Films AND GENEON ANNOUNCE STRATEGIC ALLIANCE.
2007-09-11 Mitsubishi divests, leaving Geneon solely owned by Dentsu.
2007-09-11 Geneon USA lays Off sales, marketing staffers.
2007-09-21 Dentsu and ADV Films confirm Withdrawal of Geneon deal.
2007-09-26 Geneon to cease the sales of DVDs and all related distribution and marketing operations as of 5 p.m. on Friday, September 28."
2007-09-27 Dentsu announces that it will post a Y5 billion loss on Geneon's downsizing.

So from the first bad news (breakdown of the ADV deal) to the really bad news (Geneon not continuing to sell anime to consumers) it took just 5 days (no disrespect to the laid-off Geneon staff is intended by my failure to acknowledge that event as bad news for the consumer).

Crawly wrote:
Their issues were temporary and they were working them out. Sounds pretty similar to what little ADV has said.

What they said was:
Dentsu, Inc. wrote:
from October 1, 2007, Geneon USA will focus mainly on management of its works portfolio.

and
Eiji Orii, President and CEO of Geneon wrote:
At this time, we are internally discussing plans to explore all available options to continue distribution of Geneon titles, both old and new, at a later date. However, nothing is certain at this time. We will release more information to the public once we have any concrete plans, if any.

So, far from saying that their issues were temporary and that they were working them out with any sort of timeline, Dentsu and Geneon were basically saying "Hasta la vista, US consumer!"

In contrast, for ADV we have:
2008-01-09 Newtype USA to Cease Publication
2008-01-10 A.D. Vision to replace Newtype USA with PiQ in March
2008-01-18 ADV Suspends Anime ADVocates Club Program Indefinitely
2008-01-28 ADV Films Removes Titles from Website (but this had actually happened a couple weeks before this 'news' item broke)
On Jan. 30, ADV press release wrote:
While we can't go into any detail at this time, please know that ADV is working through a few short-term challenges and fully intends to continue our releases.

My point was that Geneon said nothing like this. At all. Ever.

The upshot of the ADV related items above was that suspension of club activities and dropping the license to publish a very expensive magazine occurred in the same timeframe that there was any hint of trouble with the ARM facilitated licenses (had anyone noticed when it happened). If the obvious belt-tightening is occurring in order for ADV to be liquid enough to renogiate rights to the ARM licenses, then good on them. But the indicators look nothing like what happened with Geneon.

And according to Bob, ADV is telling retailers to keep ordering as normal. That is a HUGE difference from Geneon effectively saying "GAME OVER! Get all your orders placed by Friday!"

There's a really big difference in ownership too. Dentsu owns 100% of Geneon. When Dentsu 'downsized' Geneon to the tune of a Y5 billion loss, they were pulling the plug on Geneon.

But John Ledford still owns 78.4% of ADV, with the other 21.6% owned, since June, 2006, by the Japan Contents Investment Business Limited Partnership (basically Sojitz). If JCIBLP pulls out of ADV, then the problem becomes that ARM (JCIBLP subsidiary) owns the licenses in question, which are/were sub-licensed to ADV. If ADV has temporarily lost the sub-licenses to the anime in question, then yes, it becomes a relatively simple matter of renogiating the rights to those licenses. "Relatively simple" being in comparison to dropping out of the market completely, of course.

I'm not saying that ADV doesn't have obstacles to overcome, since they obviously do. But in ADV's case, they have Japanese partners to negotiate with to resolve their issues. Negotiations which could be made much more complex, timely and expensive if those partners were made to look bad by the premature release of information about the situation. Expecting them to say more than they have is reasonable to want, but quite possibly unrealistic to hope to get.

So, yeah, nothing like the Geneon situation at all. In fact, the only similarities between the two have been that both were involved in the deal that broke up in September, and both suspended operations of their 'clubs'. But Geneon dropped its club because it was going away, ADV dropped theirs to save money. Other than that, I don't see any similarities.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:02 pm Reply with quote
You know people, it might just be that the guy just wanted to move back to the bay area and that's all there is to it. While reading between the lines can sometimes reveal information, you have to remember that you're reading information from where no information is written. Sometimes there really is no information there to read and by looking to hard you just fuel the fires of the rumor mill and misinformation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Romeo Charlie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:19 pm Reply with quote
MokonaModoki wrote:
Crawly wrote:
Don't remember the dates, but they also said that they'd licensed several new shows and had a distribution deal set up with ADV to keep things going.

Here's a timeline for reference.
2007-08-24 ICV2 reports that ADV is taking Over Geneon's sales, marketing, distribution effective October 1, 2007.
2007-08-29 Press release: ADV Films AND GENEON ANNOUNCE STRATEGIC ALLIANCE.
2007-09-11 Mitsubishi divests, leaving Geneon solely owned by Dentsu.
2007-09-11 Geneon USA lays Off sales, marketing staffers.
2007-09-21 Dentsu and ADV Films confirm Withdrawal of Geneon deal.
2007-09-26 Geneon to cease the sales of DVDs and all related distribution and marketing operations as of 5 p.m. on Friday, September 28."
2007-09-27 Dentsu announces that it will post a Y5 billion loss on Geneon's downsizing.

...Blah-blah-blah-blah...

In fact, the only similarities between the two have been that both were involved in the deal that broke up in September, and both suspended operations of their 'clubs'. But Geneon dropped its club because it was going away, ADV dropped theirs to save money. Other than that, I don't see any similarities.

That's quite insightful. Sure, there's probably a ton of speculation is in there, but still, your fingers must be worn out. Very Happy

And tell me again, what does any of that have to do with PiQ or Steinman leaving?
rashrover

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Seems that Gary actually left PiQ to join the staff of PlayStation The Official Magazine.

From http://blog.jwhdavison.com/2008/02/biting-wit-of-four-year-old.html

Quote:
One of my favorite people in the whole world, and previous partner-in-crime at the Official PlayStation Magazine, Gary Steinman is moving back into the world of the gaming press, and back to the Bay Area having spent four years in self-imposed exile in Texas. His new gig? On the Official PlayStation Magazine, or PlayStation The Official Magazine, as it's now called.

Not to slight his tenure at NTUSA, or indeed anyone else's there, but the core editorial guys there always struck me as more video gamers at heart rather than anime-manga otaku...
rg4619

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Not to slight his tenure at NTUSA, or indeed anyone else's there, but the core editorial guys there always struck me as more video gamers at heart rather than anime-manga otaku...

Wouldn't surprise me. I've never followed Newtype USA. However, I certainly know of Gary Steinman and Kevin Gifford from video game coverage. In particular, Gifford was a high-profile blogger and poster at Gaming-Age.

Both quietly disappeared from the gaming scene a few years ago. IIRC, Gifford burned out on games (left a post saying that he lived and breathed games for years, but lost interest after covering them as a career), so he changed jobs.

Last edited by rg4619 on Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:09 pm Reply with quote
rashrover wrote:
Seems that Gary actually left PiQ to join the staff of PlayStation The Official Magazine.

From http://blog.jwhdavison.com/2008/02/biting-wit-of-four-year-old.html

Quote:
One of my favorite people in the whole world, and previous partner-in-crime at the Official PlayStation Magazine, Gary Steinman is moving back into the world of the gaming press, and back to the Bay Area having spent four years in self-imposed exile in Texas. His new gig? On the Official PlayStation Magazine, or PlayStation The Official Magazine, as it's now called.

Videogames and Anime go hand in hand(I'm playing Haruhi no Tomadoi right now).Thanks for the info.I had thought OPM and PSM were gone.With the addition NTUSA disappearing I was kinda depressed.PtoM is the new title,I read.Thanks again.
rg4619

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Videogames and Anime go hand in hand(I'm playing Haruhi no Tomadoi right now).

That's only a certain segment of the market - even in Japan, gaming is much more mainstream than the niche anime scene. You'd be surprised at the number of gamers who despise anime (particularly hardcore, old-school fans who feel that anime influences have watered down/cheapened games).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4