• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: No Anime Submitted for Animated Feature Oscar Nominations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricDent

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Wait a second...how the heck can The Smurfs even be considered as an animated movie?

Also I thought that TinTin was out of the running due to the "rules" about motion captured animation?

I thought they did this later in the early part of say January/Febuary which I thought was the reason why they are releaseing Arriety in US theaters in Febuary.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Arritey I think might take a shot at next years oscars, its getting a US release in theatres in Feb., however looking at this pathethic group here, I think it should have come out this year.

Man what a comparison year by year, last year you had HHTYD, Toy Story, Tangled, Illusionist, and some quality anime films that just got left out like Summer Wars; this year the only thing on the list that I would even dare say might be good is Tintin and I dont really consider that a movie that should be in this category, it has too many elements of live action.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:32 pm Reply with quote
yotsubafanfan wrote:
What no Summer Wars?

Summer Wars was already submitted and screened in Los Angeles in 2010.

CrownKlown wrote:
Arritey I think might take a shot at next years oscars, its getting a US release in theatres in Feb., however looking at this pathethic group here, I think it should have come out this year.

Arietty was a 2010 film in Japan, so its last chance to be eligible would be for this year. 2012 is beyond the one-year extension granted for a foreign film to be played in Los Angeles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
J3N0V4

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:01 pm Reply with quote
I mean what would be even worth the effort this, Voices from the Deep might be worth it but the majority of films this year are adaptions and no matter how good the Disaperance is, without source materials you lose everything because all movies are based on their own singular merits although toy story was kind of an exception I'll admit. Next year Kizumonogatari might stand a chance if someone gets it, it will stand on it's own and will be awesome.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:06 pm Reply with quote
J3N0V4 wrote:
I mean what would be even worth the effort this, Voices from the Deep might be worth it but the majority of films this year are adaptions and no matter how good the Disaperance is, without source materials you lose everything because all movies are based on their own singular merits although toy story was kind of an exception I'll admit. Next year Kizumonogatari might stand a chance if someone gets it, it will stand on it's own and will be awesome.

Well, show based movies can be pretty good, and even won a few of the awards in Japan in the best picture category. Shin-chan Movie 10: The Battle of Warring States, Detective Conan Movie 9: Strategy Above the Depths and Zeta Gundam: Heirs to the Stars won, for example (plus others)
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Its safe to say every title on this list is not worthy of an oscar nomination or win..this is without a doubt the worst year for american animation in decades..thank God for Japanese animation.

Last edited by iamthevastuniverse on Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Alois Nebel, Chico & Rita, A Cat in Paris and Wrinkles all look promising, notwithstanding the first being rotoscoped and the second having some dubious CGI. There are several films on that list that I didn't even remember. The American submissions are feeble this year, but it isn't as though there's nothing worth notice at all.

I do have a dreary feeling that Cars 2 will win; Pixar has a strong hold on the fancy of the academy, which is probably enough to give even a film widely considered a lesser work some advantage.

The academy's rules for submission are a little frustrating. It suggests that the awards were designed to honor the American film industry and have been awkwardly retrofitted with considerations for foreign films.

If The Smurfs is even nominated I might be tempted to launch a campaign of terror against the academy.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:05 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol:
Quote:
Does it even have a theatrical run in Japan or the US?

Yeah, it did, in Japan. It's played at limited venues in the U.S., however. But they could've given it an L.A. run before the year was up.

Haterater: They only seem to believe Ghibli films are worth entering if Miyazaki directed 'em.

Kikaioh: Don't forget Mardock Scramble.

Lagann: Except next year, Redline won't be eligible.

Eric: There's some rule about 50-75% of the film being animated, which would make it eligible.
TnAdct1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Alois Nebel, A Cat in Paris, Chico & Rita and Wrinkles all look promising, notwithstanding the first being rotoscoped and the second having some dubious CGI. There are several films on that list that I didn't even remember. The American submissions are feeble this year, but it isn't as though there's nothing worth notice at all.

I very much agree that the Academy should nominate one of these animated films. After all, one thing I prefer to see when it comes to this category is lesser-known animated films instead of the obvious "kiddie" flicks.

As for the lack of Redline on the list, that may be due to the fact that Redline started its film festival screenings in 2009, making it ineligible.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Redline won't be eligible next year because it was a 2010 release in Japan, meaning it'd have to get the minimal number of advertised screenings in Los Angeles by the end of 2011 for it to be eligible for the Oscar.

This. A lot of people rage about the Oscars and the lack of anime but they're utterly missing the point. It's not that anime is ignored but rather that it's not eligible. That's what I'd want to ask people complaining: What are all these eligible anime movies you feel unfairly were ignored? Because, Spirited Away did win and Howl's Moving Castle did get nominated (despite not even being that great). Even if you maintain that Summer Wars should have beaten out one of the three phenomenal movies it was up against, that's like one movie. Hardly some big, anti-anime trend.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:33 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken: It's not just anti-anime, but anti-animated films for audiences older than 12 that's the problem. Waltz with Bashir and Richard Linklater's stuff got snubbed, too.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:12 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
ikillchicken: It's not just anti-anime, but anti-animated films for audiences older than 12 that's the problem. Waltz with Bashir and Richard Linklater's stuff got snubbed, too.

Well that may or may not be the case. You're kinda dodging the question though. Namely, how are they anti-anime at all?
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Because he's GATSU, and he loves to find any excuse to fire shots at anything related to the entertainment industry in the US.

Regardless, I don't think anime had anything that would have been able to compete anyways. While it's not a strong showing, particularly with a relatively mediocre showing by Pixar this year, Rango will likely still provide tough competition.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
I do have a dreary feeling that Cars 2 will win; Pixar has a strong hold on the fancy of the academy, which is probably enough to give even a film widely considered a lesser work some advantage.

I'm not sure about that; CARS 2 may have done well financially, but it didn't exactly get glowing reviews. In all fairness, the original wasn't that favorably reviewed, either.

I honestly haven't seen the film, so I can't say for sure about the quality, but I personally wouldn't have minded if a traditional animated film was among the Oscar nominations. I'm finding these CG fests rather tiresome. Ah well, there's still Arrietty.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn:
Quote:
Regardless, I don't think anime had anything that would have been able to compete anyways.

Um, I just gave an example in a different thread: Redline. Or do you somehow feel that's better than Cars 2?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6