• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Spirits Dream Inside

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:51 pm Reply with quote
X-Files episodes were done that quickly?! O.O

My copy of 5cm/s has yet to arrive, so instead I have this image of Bamboo at a giant pipe organ playing the sad theme from the Incredible Hulk.

Bamboo, just out of curiosity, what shonen or seinen romances would you recommend?
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
(for all you non-Mass folks, it's pronounced "Wusstuh." Don't mess it up, or they'll beat you up.)

I would, too!

Good column. I've liked Shinkai's work so far; although at times I wonder whether or not it's getting too sappy, I'm usually too engrossed in the artistry to care.
jared_thorin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Monsieur Pink wrote:
Great column as always (I want to check 5 Centimeters Per Second now)! Glad to see Shuffle in the Perishable again and I certainly hope no more than one or two volumes will get a Rental Shelf position. Hands down FUNimation worst license ever and I'm taking Ragnarok The Animation in account when I'm saying that. Twisted Evil

Wow I would've given the worst title to Origin Spirits of the past...or Dragonball Z Movie 4.... Confused As usual though that's probably just me. I think that Shuffle's funny as hell...Are geishas food? my dad says so..... And Ragnarok...well I'm really not sure what's so wrong with it, it kinda makes me think of the old school anime days of Slayers and Loddoss...
I'll still probably check out Holic, I sincerely hope that it's better then the Tsubasa anime was, and 5cm, well I love the Shinkai movies all around. Anime smallmouth
Monsieur Pink

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:14 pm Reply with quote
jared_thorin wrote:
Wow I would've given the worst title to Origin Spirits of the past...or Dragonball Z Movie 4.... Confused As usual though that's probably just me. I think that Shuffle's funny as hell...Are geishas food? my dad says so..... And Ragnarok...well I'm really not sure what's so wrong with it, it kinda makes me think of the old school anime days of Slayers and Loddoss...

Well, I thought Origin ~Spirits of the Past~ was a fairly decent anime and I have yet to see any of the Dragon Ball movies. It still comes down to a matter of preferences, but just so you know, I'm probably the biggest Shuffle hater out here, or atleast I consider myself to be (someone cares to prove me wrong?).
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Question re: 5 Centimeters...

I've never seen "Voice From a Distant Star," but I thought "The Place Promised in Our Early Days" was the most overrated, boring movie I have ever sat through twice. Yes, twice. I even watched it again to try to figure out what I was missing that made so many other people like it. So far as I'm considered, it took 90 minutes to go nowhere and do nothing other than have some pretty music.

So, given how much i hated it, will I feel the same way about "5 centimeters"?
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:57 pm Reply with quote
skaly wrote:

I heard they were doing a second season.

They are, it's starting sometimes in April. I have to admit, I don't know how they are going to pull it off, especially since it seems like the plot of xxxHolic and the plot of Tsubasa are getting a little more entwained in the latest volumes of manga (something which annoys me, because while I love xxxHolic, I really don't care much for Tsubasa).

I think xxxHolic is a fun series and I might pick it up. But it doesn't compare to the manga, for the reasons stated before. Moving all the stories around just doesn't work because you lose the character development which is the continuous plot of the series.

Also, I find the art used in the anime to be about the worst drawn I have ever seen in anime because the body proportioning is so inconsistent. Many times I have been left wondering how a professional animator actually was involved with making it.

I know that the proportions in the character designs aren't natural, but at least they never quite look wrong. In the anime they do.

Plus it makes Watanuki look like a daddy long legs. Which is slightly disturbing in and of itself.

...yet after all that, I still say it's worth watching. Oh, and apparently it's better viewed in widescreen, if that option is available.

Oh, and I am SO excited about the X-Files movie, I only found out about last week or so. Loved that show to death!
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:04 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

I've never seen "Voice From a Distant Star," but I thought "The Place Promised in Our Early Days" was the most overrated, boring movie I have ever sat through twice....

Probably.

tasogarenootome wrote:
My copy of 5cm/s has yet to arrive, so instead I have this image of Bamboo at a giant pipe organ playing the sad theme from the Incredible Hulk.

Bamboo, just out of curiosity, what shonen or seinen romances would you recommend?

For the record, that's one of the funniest things I've heard all day.

As for shonen romances... I kind of have inconsistent tastes. I really love Please Twins, and I got a kick out of Chobits. I don't know if you'd strictly classify it as only shonen romance, but my favorite of all time is Saikano. It really depends what kind of stuff you like, though.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:18 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

I've never seen "Voice From a Distant Star," but I thought "The Place Promised in Our Early Days" was the most overrated, boring movie I have ever sat through twice. Yes, twice. I even watched it again to try to figure out what I was missing that made so many other people like it. So far as I'm considered, it took 90 minutes to go nowhere and do nothing other than have some pretty music.

I would say then that Shinkai's style isn't for you then. 5cm is even more devoted to the romance aspect and is even more subdued than Place Promised if you ask me. They're works of art, but they're not going to be for everyone. They're slow paced, are pretty much completely character driven and thoughtful, if you're looking for more than that then they're probably going to disappoint you.

I would say there's a chance that maybe someone who wasn't too fond of Place Promised may like 5cm, but if you really hated it I would say there's very little chance you'll feel much different about 5cm. The style of the two really is quite similar.

Last edited by Keonyn on Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:

I would then that Shinkai's style isn't for you then. 5cm is even more devoted to the romance aspect and is even more subdued than Place Promised if you ask me. They're works of art, but they're not going to be for everyone. They're slow paced, are pretty much completely character driven and thoughtful, if you're looking for more than that then they're probably going to disappoint you.

I would say there's a chance that maybe someone who wasn't too fond of Place Promised may like 5cm, but if you really hated it I would say there's very little chance you'll feel much different about 5cm. The style of the two really is quite similar.

What I didn't like about "The Place Promised" was that it had no plot... or at least, not one that made any sense. So her dreams are controlling that tower.... how?? Never explained. And as for "character-driven"... I didn't feel like most the characters (other than the main couple) had any development whatsoever.

Anyway, 5 Centimeter is at least only an hour long, maybe I'll risk wasting an hour of my life to see if I like it better.
bci110

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Monsieur Pink wrote:
Hands down FUNimation worst license ever and I'm taking Ragnarok The Animation in account when I'm saying that. Twisted Evil

Oh, FUNimation had worse licenses that this, i.e., Suzuka and Blue Gender. Wink

Anyway as I posted in a prior Shelf Life thread pertaining to Shuffle, it's all about the character conections and less about the storylines that I find enjoyable about the series. I do like watching the characters in this series, most especially Asa and Sia as I found their episodes in this volume a lot of fun to watch.

I was lucky enough to find a copy of 5 Centimeters per Second at my local Best Buy, and I absolutely adored Makoto Shinkai's masterpiece The Place Promised in Our Early Days (it's the only anime movie I saw that I gave the "Masterpiece" rating) so I'm looking forward to watching his latest work. Cool
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:36 pm Reply with quote
I thought the plot for Place Promised was pretty clear. It didn't explain everything, but that wasn't really the nature of the series. The sci-fi element was a backdrop to push the romantic element forward. It might work for some, but if you really want answers then I suppose it might disappoint, although I seem to recall some information was given.

5cm doesn't have that sci-fi element, so you won't be stuck with questions there. However, the development of the characters is done in much the same way it was done in Place Promised; you're more or less pushed in to moments of their lives and the segments you watch are what you get for development of the later segments. I would actually say Place Promised developed the characters a bit more than 5cm did. Place Promised mainly developed the main couple because it is more a romance than anything else, and they were the supposed to be the focus.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bci110

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
I thought the plot for Place Promised was pretty clear. It didn't explain everything, but that wasn't really the nature of the series. The sci-fi element was a backdrop to push the romantic element forward.

Yeah, that's what I thought too. I thought Shinkai did a marvelous job combining the sci-fi and romantic elements in making a very believable and moving film. While it's true that not everything was explained in the film, the way he presented it worked in my view. That was one of the many reasons why I gave Place Promised the "Masterpiece" rating, along with the awesome animation and superb voice-acting (and I'm basing the voice-acting comment on the English dub since I haven't watch the film in Japanese yet, but I thought Jessica Boone's portrayal of Sayuri was the best performance of her career, and she had some very strong performances in her career).
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:10 pm Reply with quote
bci110 wrote:
I thought Jessica Boone's portrayal of Sayuri was the best performance of her career.

I absolutely loved her voice on that movie. It was adorable.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
I thought the plot for Place Promised was pretty clear.

Clear? The plot was nonexistent. Nothing happened. Nothing!

I know, this gets rave reviews all the time, but the funny thing is, when we watched it in my anime club, of the dozen or so of us there, only one person liked it. Everyone else was kind of dumbstruck that our president thought it was so awesome. It got an "awful" rating from me. I truly consider it a bad, bad movie.

What really shocks me, though, was one of the review blurbs I saw that described this director as "the new Miyazaki." Miyazaki is one of the greatest storytellers ever. To compare his work to "Place Promised" is just a joke.

Still, I am willing to give "5 Centimeters" a try to see if it has a better storyline.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:56 pm Reply with quote
I am going to buy Shuffle in Boxset form. And during a sale no less. lol.

I wish they'd had more of Tsubasa/holic crossover. I like both series and I wish they hadn't taken out the crossovers. Its one of the few times i've enjoyed the manga much more than the anime. They did leave them in the movie, which i was thankful for.

I can't seem to get into the Holic movie though. I've tried to watch it but can't.

I need to get 5cm soon,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4