• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Man Buried by Manga Discovered Dead After Quake

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrdAdmiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm thinking maybe the guy died before the books fell on top of him. Books do not weight that much, and I Find it really hard to believe you could not get out from under them. Say for instance, you are lying on the floor asleep and you have your room covered in 5 foot stacks of manga books. If they all fell over on top of you, you should still be able to get out from under them. The guy may have been asleep and died in his sleep before the earth quake. That seems a lot more logical to me. (or maybe I just have watched way to many Detective Conan shows and am reading to much into it.)

**EDIT** I used my weight as an reference.

Estimate that 1 manga = 1 lb, which is a gross over weight.
Estimate several hundred manga as 500
My weight is 170 lbs
How much manga is required to kill me by manga?

500 Manga
-------------- =
1 Lb

X (Variable)
--------------
170 Lbs

X = 85,000 Manga to kill me.

That's someone my size, I don't think the guy had that much manga.

Last edited by GrdAdmiral on Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dizzywulf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:38 pm Reply with quote
My condolences to the family.

But on all the earthquake safety pamphlets and newsletters and tv psas (at least when I lived in Japan..) they're always talking about "Don't sleep next to bookshelves." "Get away from places where things are stacked or bookshelves". "Get to an open space or a doorway" But I guess this poor guy just didn't have time. Sad
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:41 pm Reply with quote
What a helluva way to die. Sad My condolences to his family.
Reikon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:16 pm Reply with quote
GrdAdmiral wrote:
I'm thinking maybe the guy died before the books fell on top of him. Books do not weight that much, and I Find it really hard to believe you could not get out from under them. Say for instance, you are lying on the floor asleep and you have your room covered in 5 foot stacks of manga books. If they all fell over on top of you, you should still be able to get out from under them. The guy may have been asleep and died in his sleep before the earth quake. That seems a lot more logical to me. (or maybe I just have watched way to many Detective Conan shows and am reading to much into it.)

My weight is 170 lbs

500 Manga
-------------- =
1 Lb

X (Variable)
--------------
170 Lbs

I doubt it takes 500 manga per pound of person weight to kill them. It's probably closer to 2-3x your weight of something covering you to prevent you from getting free. Therefore, it would only be several hundred manga.
Hagaren_Otaku726

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Yup. This sounds like something that would happen to me. My condolences go to his family of course...

I've always wondered about that though. My book shelf leans forward a bit, and it's not bolted to anything. It probably has about 300 or more books in it. Luckily, I don't sleep over there, and if anything is going to crush me in a quake, it'll be that giant good for nothing clock that doesn't even work anymore in front of my bed, or my ceiling.

...I'd rather die though, looking at Konata's smiling face...
daxomni

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren_Otaku726 wrote:
If anything is going to crush me it'll be that giant good for nothing clock that doesn't even work anymore in front of my bed.

The more I read this thread the more I think of Lord British...
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:06 pm Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
You talking about the Ultima series? Laughing

Randall Miyashiro wrote:
I'm a bit afraid since San Francisco is also earthquake prone and three of my four walls look like this, this, and this

My ceiling is about 12 feet high and many of my 6-7' high shelves have stuff stacked on top of them. To make matters worse most of my books on my shelves are hardcovers with my paperbacks sitting in storage in the garage.

[OFF TOPIC]

What do you do for a living Randal?Those over stacked shelves look just like my aunts,since I was a kid.She lives in California as well.She helps run Silicon now a days.Are you an artist or programmer?Looks like you also read a lot.
s3r3nity

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:55 pm Reply with quote
GrdAdmiral wrote:

My weight is 170 lbs

500 Manga
-------------- =
1 Lb

X (Variable)
--------------
170 Lbs

Lol, It's really easy to get a lot of manga, I probably have at least 100 now, and I'm pretty thrifty.
Anyway, that formula doesn't really make sense to me. Razz What significance does 500 have besides that's what your estimate of his collection is? 500 x 170 doesn't really mean anything, you'd need actual numbers of how much weight it takes to kill you. I admire your detective-ness though lol
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
s3r3nity

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:55 pm Reply with quote
GrdAdmiral wrote:

My weight is 170 lbs

500 Manga
-------------- =
1 Lb

X (Variable)
--------------
170 Lbs

Lol, It's really easy to get a lot of manga, I probably have at least 100 now, and I'm pretty thrifty.
Anyway, that formula doesn't really make sense to me. Razz What significance does 500 have besides that's what your estimate of his collection is? 500 x 170 doesn't really mean anything, you'd need actual numbers of how much weight it takes to kill you. I admire your detective-ness though lol
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
_Emi_

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:04 pm Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
Hagaren_Otaku726 wrote:
If anything is going to crush me it'll be that giant good for nothing clock that doesn't even work anymore in front of my bed.

Yancey Hausman is in Japan? I wonder if that guy had any of the Ultima manga.
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:31 pm Reply with quote
At least the guy was killed by something he loves... Now, say that he actually hated manga and was killed by it, now THAT would be irony.

I'm feeling morbid tonight, forgive me. I'm sure it's a very traumatic experience for his family.
Rancher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:41 pm Reply with quote
I doubt it would take that many mangas to kill the guy. All you need is a heavy book (I assume the mangas stacked in the room are the phone book sized kind, rather than the lil' pocket sized version in the U.S.), and have it strike the man's skull at a vulnerable spot. It'll be like man tripping on the sidewalk and hitting his head on the hard cement grounds; death on impact.

Anyway, it's speculation. He could have died before the quake struck, for all we know.
AkashicLibrarian

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:04 am Reply with quote
GrdAdmiral wrote:

You're neglecting the likelyhood that much of the manga consisted of larger-than-yellowpages B5 sized 1000page monthly serial manga stacked from floor to ceiling.

Having been subscribed to 20-ish mags, most of them that size, for more than 3 years, and experiencing myself the joy of having 4 stacks/2 deep worth haphazardly and badly angled floor to ceiling come crashing down on me, I am able to believe the possibility of the manga at least being a main contributor after an earthquake knocks down multiple times those stacks + extra un-bolted shelving units within the space of something like 6 tatami.

Thank goodness I live in a geographical location with no fault-line/quake issues, hurricanes, tornados, or other disaster scenarios, except for the occasional river-sourced flood (though I live on high enough ground and on the second floor, so no worries for the most part)

Don't underestimate the damage that the hardcover+ filled shelves in Randall's pics may inflict on you if falling down on you quickly/violently enough. The many over-filled/over-taxed shelving units surrounding my own bed would send me to the hospital easily if a quake came my way (as I having absolutely none of them bolted to the walls, allowing them to easily tumble down with a simple purposeful yank)

Do not take lightly the HP damage that a flying issue of Shounen GanGan can inflict upon the human body(!!!).

[alas, I have no pictures to show, as I never leave myself enough dosh to buy things like a simple camera after every bit of fluid cash find it's way into the bank accounts of TRSI & Amazon Japan. Worse than heroine, I tell ya...]
vega427

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:27 am Reply with quote
I guess this is proof that too much of a good thing really can be bad for you.............
asura_wings

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:52 am Reply with quote
that is why you should sell some on ebay or to discount shops
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4