• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1st Funimation Releases of Former ADV Titles Scheduled

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FWNW

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:28 am Reply with quote
All I really want is vol. 6 of NHK!!!!! Everytime I purchase a volume, I put off watching it so long, for the fear of anxiety in waiting for the next one to be released. DAMN YOU ADV! Such a great show deserves to be in the hands of Funimation. Glad to hear they got it... but im DYING to know when the final disc will be out. Its just sad that they didn't have it in the first place... the artbox and packaging are dreadful. Ever notice how clean, pristine, and well-designed Funimation's products are? Well of course you have.
Kireek

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:39 am Reply with quote
U.K realease need help killing me
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:50 am Reply with quote
FWNW wrote:
All I really want is vol. 6 of NHK!!!!! Everytime I purchase a volume, I put off watching it so long, for the fear of anxiety in waiting for the next one to be released. DAMN YOU ADV! Such a great show deserves to be in the hands of Funimation. Glad to hear they got it... but im DYING to know when the final disc will be out. Its just sad that they didn't have it in the first place... the artbox and packaging are dreadful. Ever notice how clean, pristine, and well-designed Funimation's products are? Well of course you have.

You have a point there. The R2 packaging did look better.
Kireek

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:51 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
FWNW wrote:

You have a point there. The R2 packaging did look better.

Aggggh dont talk about R2 im dying to know if there realeasing these in R2 its killing me.
Steel Angel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm very ecstatic i'll be able to finish a number of series, many of which, i thought i'd never be able to. With all the things that have been happening and said in the last 10 months, it's very positive that some good news has finally arrived, and updated regularly so fans can be in the know.

Thanks Funi, keep up the great work, we appreciate it. Very Happy
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
October 14: Karin volume 5

Wait this doesn't make sense. There isn't even a volume four of Karin thus far, why is volume five coming out before four?

I remember that the third voloume of Karin came out last year during March and that was the time Geneon closed, but they didn't release the fourth volume though.

Possibly a typo?
Julia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:56 pm Reply with quote
I am crazy happy that just a year after the turmoil with Geneon, Funimation is going to release more volumes of Saiunkoku! That show (the first two volumes) is basically on repeat in my DVD player. I fell in love with the show. So thank you Funimation! If any one knows the answer, feel free to share... Is the dub going to be the same? I really hope so, I rather like the dub cast.

By the way Karin volumes 1-4 are being released on September 2nd. This to the poster above me. Sorry, I can not remember your name, sorry.

Last edited by Julia on Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Quote:
October 14: Karin volume 5

Wait this doesn't make sense. There isn't even a volume four of Karin thus far, why is volume five coming out before four?

I remember that the third voloume of Karin came out last year during March and that was the time Geneon closed, but they didn't release the fourth volume though.

Possibly a typo?

Volume 4 of Karin was included in an earlier announcement - release date is September 2nd.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Julia wrote:
So thank you Funimation! If any one knows the answer, feel free to share... Is the dub going to be the same? I really hope so, I rather like the dub cast.
It should be barring some bizarre licensing issue (that isn't likely to happen). The Ocean dub was finished according to reps for them and everything seems to be moving along as if it were all under the original contracts and nothing really happened.

The only real issue is if someone were to license the second season. If Funimation were to license it, there's a fairly good chance they would at least try to keep dub continuity as that is something they feel is important. It's not always possible but it's much more likely if it's them than any other company. (Except maybe Bandai Entertainment.)

Everyone needs to remember to remain as calm as possible during this phase of things. Sales will be critical for both Geneon's corpse and Funimation to decide if they want to license more of any of the series that have additional seasons and material. It's been stated that Geneon is unlikely to do any more licensing and that means we should push for the Lords of Texas to get more of our favorite shows. That means we have to buy them and we have to push others to buy them.

Fortunately, they have expressed an intention to move away from DVD-exclusive revenues for shows so some of the lower performers have a chance, however small, of being looked upon favorably. Still, if we panic and assume problems that simply aren't likely to show up, we'll ultimately hurt our chances of getting more down the road.

Everyone needs to take a deep breath and repeat after me: There will be English dubs that will be the same as before. There will be steelcases. There will be good anime.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:18 am Reply with quote
Being able to pick up DMC will be a relief. I've heard different sides of reviews about it, but as a fan of the video game series I look forward to enjoying watching it.
Peothra

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:09 am Reply with quote
As much as it pains me to these Titles under Funimations umbrella, I am glad they will be released.
Its not that I dislike Funimation, I don't, I love most of their product.
I just wonder if we will see anymore of the really obscure animes that ADV Films has provided us with.

And not to get off topic, but, does anyone know if Shakugan No Shana 2 has been picked up by anyone? And will it have the same cast? Here's hoping!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
storm_owl7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:08 pm Reply with quote
well, I am rather happy about this news since I was worried that I'd never be able to finish some of the collections I had started! Very Happy

From Geneon, I collected Hellsing Ultimate as well as the Story of Saiunkoku so knowing they will be released with Funimation is really great news!

The only thing I'm a bit nervous about is whether or not they will keep the same dubbed voices...I mean, whether we like it or not, they can choose to do what they want...and because this has all been up in the air for quite some time, I'd even understand if the voice actors had moved on...for example, the one of did Ryuuki's voice in the English dubbed version of Saiunkoku is the same who is currently doing Light's voice in Death Note...so maybe, since he is doing something else, he might not come back to do Saiunkoku as well as other voice actors that may have moved on Sad Now as for Hellsing Ultimate, that is pretty much the same thing so while I am happy that these titles will keep on being released, I also hope very much that they are with the same voice actors as before

Now here is a question: when I go on Funimation's main website, I can't find anything at all regarding all these releases...why is that? lol
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:41 pm Reply with quote
storm_owl7 wrote:

The only thing I'm a bit nervous about is whether or not they will keep the same dubbed voices...I mean, whether we like it or not, they can choose to do what they want...and because this has all been up in the air for quite some time, I'd even understand if the voice actors had moved on...for example, the one of did Ryuuki's voice in the English dubbed version of Saiunkoku is the same who is currently doing Light's voice in Death Note...so maybe, since he is doing something else, he might not come back to do Saiunkoku as well as other voice actors that may have moved on Sad Now as for Hellsing Ultimate, that is pretty much the same thing so while I am happy that these titles will keep on being released, I also hope very much that they are with the same voice actors as before

The dubs will be the same. Keep in mind that Geneon is distributing and, I think, manufacturing the discs, but everything else is still being done by Geneon. Geneon still owns the licenses and is the one making the calls. Also, Geneon always contracted out dub work to studios like New Generations and Bang Zoom, they didn't do it themselves. Even when Geneon had its problems last year, dub work was continuing for their titles.

Quote:
Now here is a question: when I go on Funimation's main website, I can't find anything at all regarding all these releases...why is that? lol

Probably because they are not Funimation's series. As I said before, Geneon still owns the licenses and is the one calling the shots, Funi is just the distributor and maybe the manufacturer.

Edit: Actually, just search harder. They at least have sights up on their site somewhere for Karin and Fate/Stay Night, so I'd imagine many or all of the others are there as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3