• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-09-19]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rekishi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:57 am Reply with quote
i agree with the "best of one side being better than the worst of the other" comment when it comes to the american TV vs anime debate... but then again... i live in australia... we still get american shows on TV.... but they're usually the quality ones... not the crap... as for crappy australian shows "no one really likes"... well...

you could compare fullmetal alchemist to say... home and away.... and i'd have to say that i'd happily sit down and watch FMA again, before willingly sitting down to another half hours worth of the daily lives of the residents of summer bay... (i.e. the most dangerous post code in australia... right up there with ramsey street, mount thomas and that all saints hospital... I'm never going there if i get sick...)

but then... you could compare something like... (trying to get away from naruto bashing...) haruhi suzumiya (my opinion here FYI) to something like sea patrol... and i'd have to say the exploits of an australian navy patrol boat "doing the rounds" off the coast of our sun burnt country is a little more riveting than watching some high school girl lie, cheat and generally act like a cow to everyone around her for 26 over hyped, out of order episodes worth of "but she's a god, we have to keep her amused"... (again, this is only my opinion... i was less than impressed by haruhi... but i realise I'm a minority)...

so yeah... it's all relevant...
herbkir

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:19 am Reply with quote
Modern scientific polling based on a carefully chosen representative sample, which Neilsen uses, works well for finding the major opinion trends among the masses. But it fails in accurately measuring niche opinions or opinions on subjects where the sample is about evenly divided. That's why polls include a margin of error. Results falling within the margin of error are statistically meaningless. That never stopped the media from proclaiming Choice A "wins" the poll because it was preferred by 0.05 percent more people than Choice B.

With the rise of specialized cable programming, various folks have tried to come up with a better way to track niche audiences but none have succeeded. Everyone in the TV and advertising industries knows the Neilsen system has flaws but it's still the only system they all have agreed upon because it's generally accurate in measuring preferences of the mass audience. Unfortunately for us, anime is a niche audience, and [AS] targets one specific segment of the mass audience, so the ratings are trying to reveal the niche opinions within a demographic niche.

Remember, nobody quarreled with the Neilsen results when they pointed to a healthy level of viewership for [AS] anime. We whine about their methods only now when the numbers come in sickeningly low.

But was the [AS] schedule shift solely about ratings? For me, one big thing indicating that it wasn't just the ratings is the lack of aggressive [AS] promotion of the comedy on Saturdays. If they really believed they needed more comedy to save Saturdays from ratings disaster, why have they not promoted the new Saturday comedy lineup out the wazoo? They promote comedies for other nights of the week so they obviously believe in the value of promos for comedy. (^_*)

TheVok

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:30 am Reply with quote
Who Is This Guy!? wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Zac wrote:
The Venture Brothers is one of the best shows on TV and the best show to have ever been on Adult Swim.

Better than Cowboy Bebop? Trigun? Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex? Fullmetal Alchemist?

Better than Home Movies?

I think not. Though it is rather good.

Actually, yes. Yes, it is. Better than all of them combined... Go Team Venture!

Well, this is where comparisons get kinda pointless. The Venture Bros. (it's not 'Brothers', by the way) is definitely one of my favourite shows, I buy the DVDs, but I also bought 'em for Home Movies even if it never attained the same heights and I'll probably buy 'em soon for Ghost in the Shell: SAC, which also was a bit more uneven at times.

I wouldn't say The Venture Bros. is better than all of those other shows combined, but the point is, its greatness doesn't take anything away from the others. Indeed, what makes them all great shows is they're so distinctive and all have a lot of their own unique strengths to offer. In that sense they don't compete with each other at all ... and they're exemplary of the fact that animation is a medium, not a genre.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:38 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
But yeah, especially the older I get, the more I become sick of everyone in anime being 15, even when it makes no sense whatsoever for them to be 15 (this my only complaint about Gankutsuou, for example).

I agree with the sentiment in general, but how did it not make sense for some of the characters to be teenagers in Gankutsuou? I'm pretty sure Albert was just turning sixteen in the original Dumas story, and it seems natural that most of his friends would be a similar age. Plus, he couldn't have been made much older without having to alter the Edmond Dantes chronology.
Yoda117

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:52 am Reply with quote
[quote = Zac]Yes, anime music videos are copyright infringement, no doubt about it. But nobody really cares[/quote]

There are a few bands and organizations which would vehemently disagree with you on that comment.

There's even a site or two which had to be taken down or severely amended due to their usage of AMVs.

Check the archives of this ANN, you'll find at least one or two (check Lexus Nexus for more than that).
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:24 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:
Wasn't Chobits set in college?

It's set in a school for those who are trying to get into college but failed their exams the first time round.

I think NieA was the same too--I'm pretty sure the main character mentioned she was going to cram school. But that show hadmore of a bathhouse/cheap apartment setting.
point;blank

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:33 am Reply with quote
Ai no Kareshi wrote:
I share in this sentiment 100%. I had that very same feeling when I finished episode four of Code Geass. Very Happy

I third that. I get such a high watching death note, I'm glad there's another show that can do it for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Stretch2424

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:35 am Reply with quote
My proudest moment as an anime fan came during a relatively minor convention in Cincinnati two or three years ago when I sat in on a "name that tune" game. To select participants, random OP songs were played and anyone in the audience who could name them could take part. I recognized the theme to City Hunter (the first one) and stepped forward. The fact that I was a 40-something man in a plaid shirt set me apart from the teenagers who comprised the remainder of the contestants. But I had two advantages: first, I had been doing a lot of ripping and burning of anime music onto custom CDs, and second the organizers seemed to like relatively old favorites just like I did. I sat down alongside a teenage girl with a buzzer in front of each of us which we would hit as soon as we recognized a song. During my first round four songs I knew came my way in rapid succession--themes from Urusei Yatsura, Gunbuster, Megazone 23, and Cutey Honey. My competitor had clearly never heard of these shows and perhaps couldn't understand why more Inuyasha or Naruto music wasn't being played. Honestly, if there hadn't been somebody like me who was familiar with "old" anime, things might have gotten awkward since I doubt if anybody would have been able to name a good deal of the songs. I did so well that I overheard somebody muttering that I must be a "plant". I lost the next round, but I'd done well enough to win a free DVD, namely Vol 1 of Gunslinger Girl. Even after I was out of the running, I was still allowed to name a couple songs when neither of the next set of contestants could (DNA2, for one). It was fun to both show off and remind people of the neat anime from the 80's and 90's.
Rednal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:54 am Reply with quote
For Adult Swim's "Death Slot" really early in the morning... I think they may be paying a little attention to history. *Scratches head* Anime fans are relatively dedicated, though with the rise of the Internet and mass-fansubbing, it's notably easier to watch your favorite shows.

There used to be this anime show that was running for the first time on Cartoon Network. By the accounts I've heard, they really didn't know what to do with the show for a little while; it was on very, very early in the morning, but got surprisingly high ratings regardless. Eventually, they added in the other part of the show and began showing it at a more normal time. The series was "Dragonball".

Anime has succeeded in the death slot times before... but I have to admit that Cartoon Network/Toonami/Adult Swim/Whatever other programs they have don't really seem like they want to promote anime all that much. I mean, I remember when IGPX came out as a series. They boasted "The first Toonami Original Series!" in the commercials (word-for-word there), but after a little while shoved it back to Adult Swim. Gee, not such a Toonami show, huh? Much the same for Gundam SEED; before the first run was over, they abruptly rescheduled it. And I never heard even a little comment about it. Not so much as a one-time screen when the show used to be on saying "Gundam SEED is now on at XX:XX Blank Mornings". Toonami, in my experience, has been really bad with finishing series. They just don't advertise the changes. I'm happy to sit down on the couch and tune in if I can expect to watch something good, but if shows are rarely completed, I almost feel like I'm being pushed to watch fansubs. At least that way you can always know when you'll get something. ^^;
Takeyo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:56 am Reply with quote
Or, you know, rent. Razz
Rednal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:25 am Reply with quote
^^; The anime selection at my local video rental place is minuscule. It's not a viable option for me.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:27 am Reply with quote
Yoda117 wrote:

There are a few bands and organizations which would vehemently disagree with you on that comment.

There's even a site or two which had to be taken down or severely amended due to their usage of AMVs.

Check the archives of this ANN, you'll find at least one or two (check Lexus Nexus for more than that).

Did you bother reading the rest of the answer or did you just read that sentence and run into the forums to 'correct' me?
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:27 am Reply with quote
There's a good amount of college yaoi. Yeah, there's high school, but because of the age thing, we get a certain amount of college.
I think it's also why we see a fair amount of shojo stories in high school moving into college like Kare Kano--high school is the maturing years, the last of childhood. Setting off for college is that big step into adulthood. So whining about the amount of high school drama also needs to be qualified. Is it just a chance for the artist to draw cute girls in school uniforms or that last moment before adulthood?
I told my kid to enjoy herself all she could as a kid because once one becomes an adult, it's not as carefree. Bills to pay. Day-in, day-out work grind. How many adults do you talk to who say fondly that high school was the best time of their lives? I've met many who express that attitude. College, not so much because many are working part-time jobs as well as trying to study & maybe have a bit of a life on the side. High school kids probably want to read about high school kids because they're sort of self-centered in that way--life is all about them & their dramas. Office workers as well as college students might enjoy high school stories because that was a more carefree period of their lives. In a magazine poll where they're asked to rate the stories in a mag, readers might choose the high school story over the college one so the magazine sees a more positive response to that setting.

You could always start reading more yaoi.

Isn't InuYasha vacating that 5 AM slot? I don't think it killed InuYasha. (Nothing can kill Inu?)
My theory is it's September. Fall premiere time. AS just wanted to make a fuss about their "comedy" orginals. In a month or so we'll probably see anime return to AS. They only make 6 of these shows, don't they? Or is it the handful of times I'm too lazy/busy to switch I just happen to catch the same stupid episode?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:37 am Reply with quote
Rednal wrote:
^^; The anime selection at my local video rental place is minuscule. It's not a viable option for me.
On-line rentals? or are you not old enough to have a credit card?
Rednal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:44 am Reply with quote
No, I'm old enough, though I prefer Debit to Credit. But mostly, if I'm going to be paying, I'd rather pay to keep a show, not just borrow it for a little while. I mean, if I want to rent, then I can work that through a library well enough and spend the money on manga instead. Renting anime isn't really my style.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6