• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Madoka Magica English-Dubbed Trailer Streamed

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:40 am Reply with quote
Well it sounds good but to have to wait so long to get it all
SunnyJ

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:42 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

Except your entire argument basically IS "JAPANESE IS BETTER"

Also, most Japanese dubs of anime are terrible. I've slowly come to this realization. They're badly acted, overly hammy (Why do most Seiyuu feel the need to YELL THEIR LINES LIKE THIS all the time jesus it even happens in moe shows), and too many of the girls sound like they're five-years-old.

"If you like English dubs, that's fine,"

You cannot get away with saying this when the first two paragraphs of your post was "YOUR OPINION IS WRONG"

This makes me lol and smell troll. Thing is, as the poster you're commenting on gave actual credible reasoning behind his arguement, and you simply have nothing other than "Your just saying Japanese is better" it shows that there is at least reasonable evidence to say that Japanese voices are better suited to Japanese animation. There are always the stray items to any common trait; however, even without thinking "Weaboo vs Enslish only", as they mentioned, this is originally a Japanese work. It makes sense that it would sound better in the original language much like, in many cases, the original of a movie remake is typically better or of music.

You are welcome to like what you want; however, before simply insulting someone who actually gave reasoning to their argument with baseless trolling, try to prove your point over theirs... otherwise you only show up as pointless batter...
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:48 am Reply with quote
I'm not trolling, I'm merely jaded and tired of always hearing people say that subs are better.

"as they mentioned, this is originally a Japanese work. It makes sense that it would sound better in the original language much like, in many cases, the original of a movie remake is typically better or of music. "

Not to me. It's an animation anyway, where dubbing and fitting the lip flaps is vastly easier. Never-mind that the animation is done before the Japanese even dub it--they have dub it in as well (there are cases where Japanese voice actors have not matched their words with the lip flaps.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:48 am Reply with quote
burnpsy wrote:
But, at the same time, are you really in any position to say if they're better or worse from 1 or 2 lines per VA?

I'm honestly holding off judgement because judging from a trailer just comes off as whining when there's this little to base it on.

What's the point of a trailer if not to show us how good the Anime is (in all aspects, including dubbing) and make us want to watch the show in question?

Chagen46 wrote:
I'm not trolling, I'm merely jaded and tired of always hearing people say that subs are better.

The Japanese cast aren't always better, but they usually are. Take Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion or Death Note; both series f*cked up their respective main characters by massively miscasting them. And those are considered to be good English dubs. I've heard some true shockers - the English dubs of Clannad: After Story and Crest of the Stars spring to mind - but even the 'good' dubs are often below the level of quality of the original cast.

Last edited by dtm42 on Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:50 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
burnpsy wrote:
But, at the same time, are you really in any position to say if they're better or worse from 1 or 2 lines per VA?

I'm honestly holding off judgement because judging from a trailer just comes off as whining when there's this little to base it on.

What's the point of a trailer if not to show us how good the Anime is (in all aspects, including dubbing) and make us want to watch the show in question?

IIRC, this trailer is mostly designed to mislead the viewer into thinking that PPMM is a normal magical girl show
AilisKnil

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:57 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
AilisKnil wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
Jesus, the weeaboos are already trashing this with the usual "JAPANESE IS BETTER HUUUUR" crap.

Haha, so much analpain it's ridiculous.

Japanese dubs are better. It's simply because of the way the media evolved in the country; as animation took prominence, much more attention was paid to voice acting, so of course the average seiyuu will be more experienced than a relatively unknown English voice actor. On the other hand, I'd say the Japanese are terrible live action actors.

I don't think I've heard a "good" English anime dub since the 90s. Maybe that's because I'd not been exposed to many original dubs at that point, but I think it has something to do with the fact you'd tend to see a number of voice actors experienced in dubbing American cartoons kind of dipping into anime dubbing at the time. I feel like we rarely get that overlap these days, and we're stuck with this little incestuous group of people who think they can act by throwing out their lines in a stiff falsetto.

But I really can't watch any English dubs of anime anymore, simply because, to me, it deviates far too much from the original product. It's not because I'm a weeaboo - I refuse to watch anime dubs in much the same way I will never watch an English dub of a Spanish film, or a Russian film, or whatever. The original is always the best. If you like English dubs, that's fine, but there's no reason to insult those who prefer the Japanese dub, because there's much more to support their argument than "everything Japanese is great".

Except your entire argument basically IS "JAPANESE IS BETTER"

Also, most Japanese dubs of anime are terrible. I've slowly come to this realization. They're badly acted, overly hammy (Why do most Seiyuu feel the need to YELL THEIR LINES LIKE THIS all the time jesus it even happens in moe shows), and too many of the girls sound like they're five-years-old.

"If you like English dubs, that's fine,"

You cannot get away with saying this when the first two paragraphs of your post was "YOUR OPINION IS WRONG"

Chill out, guy.

I'm not sure what else you want from me. I gave you a few pretty solid reasons why Japanese dubs tend to be better objectively, and why I personally think they're better. Not once did I simply say that the Japanese dub is better because it's Japanese.

Your opinion on Japanese dubs, however, is obviously influenced by your inability to see past the norms of your own culture. I'm not saying Japanese dubs are inherently great. You'll get some good seiyuu, and some terrible ones. But have you ever spoken with a Japanese person, or hell, even listened to a Japanese person speak? What you perceive as "overly hammy" acting is sort of an ingrained part of the language. What you're hearing is more of a cultural difference than it is a quality difference.

But not once in my previous post did I ever mean to imply that liking English dubs is a bad thing. I certainly don't like them, but far be it from me to stop you.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:58 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
IIRC, this trailer is mostly designed to mislead the viewer into thinking that PPMM is a normal magical girl show

You're missing the point. The trailer is designed to showcase the Anime, including the dub. Of course people are going to form big opinions and make big decisions just from the trailer, 'cause that's what the trailer is for. That is what is expected when you watch a trailer, and that is what you expect of the public when you make a trailer.

Ergo, judging the dub already - based on what we've seen thus far - is not only fair, it's expected. When the actual show comes out, then we may change our minds (or not, as the case may be). But do not blame people for doing exactly what they're supposed to be doing at this point in time.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:04 am Reply with quote
"Chill out, guy."

Yeah, I'm sorry for nerd-raging on you so hard.

"I'm not sure what else you want from me. I gave you a few pretty solid reasons why Japanese dubs tend to be better objectively, and why I personally think they're better. Not once did I simply say that the Japanese dub is better because it's Japanese."

The very idea of "better" is subjective. Comparison is subjective by default because it takes 2-or-more things and rates them on an arbitrary scale defined by the person comparing.

"Your opinion on Japanese dubs, however, is obviously influenced by your inability to see past the norms of your own culture. I'm not saying Japanese dubs are inherently great. You'll get some good seiyuu, and some terrible ones. But have you ever spoken with a Japanese person, or hell, even listened to a Japanese person speak? What you perceive as "overly hammy" acting is sort of an ingrained part of the language. What you're hearing is more of a cultural difference than it is a quality difference."

I know that the Japanese have a long history with hammy stuff (Traditional Japanese theater is sometimes just plain ridiculous) but it still is hard to deal with. Anyway, I just prefer listening to things in my native language. Most people do. In fact, most people will prefer a dub of their native language over a foreign one with subtitles even if they consciously know that dub is worse. In fact, even if they know the foreign language fluently, they still tend to prefer the dub!

"But not once in my previous post did I ever mean to imply that liking English dubs is a bad thing. I certainly don't like them, but far be it from me to stop you."

Then don't say things like "Japanese tends to be objectively better", because they give off that connotation.
Nineofclubs

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:09 am Reply with quote
my only complaint is how strange the name pronunciations come off.

it feels really forced.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:15 am Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
That's how it pretty much was in the first long official trailer released for Madoka Magica. As I noted above, with the exception of the Kyouko clip and audio sample, it's essentially an English dubbed trailer/translation of that aforementioned TROLLING Japanese trailer, using the same kinds of dialogue and happy mood and such.

ed. note: The above was bolded and underlined for those that might be more misunderstanding where the trailer's coming from in its mood, tonality; the increased emphasizing was meant more for the poster below you, Megiddo.

Maybe you should make the text super large. lol
Key

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:27 am Reply with quote
Boy, people must be hearing something that I'm not in that trailer, because I thought most of the voices were pretty good matches.

And lest accusations continue that this dub sounds too chirpy, keep in mind that the trailer shows only the warmest and most positive aspects of the show. How badly the original trailer misrepresents what the series actually is always bugged me, and this dubbed version is no worse.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:30 am Reply with quote
Not liking this one at all. Most of them sound the same, with a lilting quality that just sounds like they're trying too hard to sound young and cute. Homura's ok, and maybe Kyoko, but Sayaka sounds just like a more tomboyish Madoka, and Mami like someones sweetie mother. I also greatly dislike how Kyubey sounds like a girl.

It's just too hard to uningrain what one's used to admittedly, so I know I'm biased, but at least the Japanese voices all sounded unique.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:40 am Reply with quote
I know they're trying to avoid spoilers, but they really could have cut a better trailer than that. At least show the action. As for the voices, I thought they were alright. Pretty much what I expected for this show.

GATSU wrote:
*sigh* The more I see of this series, the less I'm motivated to continue it. I have a feeling I'm gonna regret pre-ordering the first volume, but I figure it's short, so I got nothing to lose.

I'm saying nothing Twisted Evil

Last edited by v1cious on Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:50 am; edited 4 times in total
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:41 am Reply with quote
I'm just gonna drop a quote here from a guy on Youtube on one of the clips from Funimation of the Rosario+Vampire dub and see how people will respond to it (or rip it apart, I'm not too sure).

Quote:
Lemme piggyback on this comment real fast. When you can't understand a language, the only thing your brain can comprehend things like vocal inflection and syntax. Emotions are universal. It's like blindfolding yourself and suddenly being able smell a little better than normal. Brain has to work around the disadvantages.
So Japanese voice actors (seiyuus) only seem like they're better at emoting because that's all you can understand anyway.

And also, I think the voices are fine. I don't have a vivid memory of how the voices sound in Japanese, nor do I see the point in trying to purposefully remember. I just care to see if the voice and the acting fit accordingly enough to the character's looks, behavior and personality, that's it. In that sense, the voices are fine.
Razzuel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:41 am Reply with quote
The first time I watched the trailer, I didn't like the English voices. I attribute it to the cognitive dissonance of seeing characters, that I have already mentally connected voices to, speak with new voices (in a whole new language even)! It was quite jarring.

I spent some time away from the trailer and came back to it and gave it a second chance. This time it was easier for me to judge the voices on their own merits, however, the the trailer itself impedes this. There are a lot of moments in the trailer where what you're seeing doesn't line up with what you're hearing.

Therefore, I don't think this trailer provides conclusive evidence of the English dub being good or bad; I'm going to have to at least watch a couple episodes with the English dub before I can truly say whether I like it or not, though that second viewing of the trailer gives me hope that it will be good, since the voices started to sound like they fit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 14