• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Madoka: Otaku.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NonoAsumy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:07 pm Reply with quote
The A,B thing is one of the worst models I have ever laid eyes upon.

Why is it used?

It feels like an elaborate troll.
The funniest thing is, it probably stems from a debate similar to the one in this thread, however a model that so grossly simplifies (distorts is probably more appropriate) audiences and the appeal of shows even hinders any fruitful debate.

As far as I understand Type A puts emphasis on story and Type B on characters?

(I just wrote a little rant on PMMM´s weak characters but it was probably a bit too harsh, so I leave it out)

And to the poster above, man-children are the very reason this show became so big, itself it is pretty geeky and most of the enjoyment derived from it too.
Deciphering runes, making up speculations, who dies first, gifmaking , shipping the cast etc.
A whole wonderland for manchildren (Is "the show looked like being for man-children but instead we got was brutal violence" supposed to be ironic?).
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:
They don't change the intended demographic, but they do in a sense define the kind of show it really is and the other appeals it really has once it's out there in the open, wouldn't you agree?

Nope.
The anime was intended for the late night otaku crowd, so it is an otaku show.
Getting bigger than expected and attracting an audience other than the intended ones does not redefine the show.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:46 am Reply with quote
It was always going to be big. No-one expected it to be this big, but even before the show began airing those people who pay attention to staff lists were interested. You don't assemble that group of people together to make a run-of-the-mill show, hell no.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:52 am Reply with quote
You have a case of hindsightitis.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:11 am Reply with quote
Well it was going to be a decontruction, I seem to remember what peoples expectations were prior to airing. Yes everyone knew it would be dark. But there was no garuntee that it was going to be enjoyed by anyone outside of the the otaku audience, general audience usually don't necesarily like the whole artsy bits, many would have trouble stomaching Charlotte's snack.
jl07045

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:53 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Getting bigger than expected and attracting an audience other than the intended ones does not redefine the show.

It does, because the people who liked it don't care what it was intended for, they see it for what it meant to them. It's still an otaku show like you said but it's more at this point.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:29 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Cam0, no we didn't forget about Mami. In fact, that was a big reason why it is a Type A.

In most Type B shows, you simply don't get the depressing elements, the deconstruction, the incident with Mami. That's why people were so happy with PMMM. We though this was going to be another sugar-and-spice Type B show for little girls and man-children and what we got was brutal violence, mature themes and philosophical reasoning.

Just because they spoiler[killed her off] doesn't change what she was designed to be like. Her finishing move "Tiro Finale" was just moe all the way. I never considered PMMM that depressing, actually reminded me of My-HiME in many ways.

However whatever happened in the anime doesn't change the fact that Shaft had something to do with it.
NonoAsumy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:36 am Reply with quote
So what is an otaku show if not PMMM?
Veers

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:36 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Yes everyone knew it would be dark.
No, they didn't.

NonoAsumy wrote:
As far as we've defined the term (in the past couple pages), you could accurately say every anime series ever is an otaku show, Madoka included.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:44 am Reply with quote
Cam0, you know what's also Moe all the way? Hagu from Honey & Clover. Her entire freaking character. And yet, would you really say that that show is an Otaku show? Of course not, that would be stupid.

Moe does not automatically equal Otakuness, especially if the Moe is there to trick the viewer.

NonoAsumy wrote:

Hmm, let me see. K-ON!, Infinite Stratos, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Working!, and Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai. That's five recent examples right there. Shall I list more? All are far more Otaku than PMMM.
NonoAsumy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:28 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Cam0, you know what's also Moe all the way? Hagu from Honey & Clover. Her entire freaking character. And yet, would you really say that that show is an Otaku show? Of course not, that would be stupid.

Moe does not automatically equal Otakuness, especially if the Moe is there to trick the viewer.

quote="NonoAsumy"]So what is an otaku show if not PMMM?

Hmm, let me see. K-ON!, Infinite Stratos, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Working!, and Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai. That's five recent examples right there. Shall I list more? All are far more Otaku than PMMM.[/quote]

These shows differ vastly in quality.
(and from what I have heard K-ON! has a much broader appeal)

Also the "trick" of subverting viewer expectations only works if the viewer has such expectations based on previous experience or knowledge.
In the case of PMMM who could that be?
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:42 am Reply with quote
NonoAsumy wrote:
These shows differ vastly in quality.
(and from what I have heard K-ON! has a much broader appeal)

Also the "trick" of subverting viewer expectations only works if the viewer has such expectations based on previous experience or knowledge.
In the case of PMMM who could that be?

Quality doesn't matter in this case, but Otakuness (which isn't a word but bear with me). Please don't try to shift the goalposts.

And the people who had previous expectations and knowledge are not necessarily those who are fans of the genre. I am not big on Magical Girls, so seeing a well-written one (I hadn't watched Princess Tutu at that stage) was a delight. Then episode three came about and, well, the rest is history.
NonoAsumy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:17 am Reply with quote
My initial question aimed more towards "Why is such a distinction necessary?"

Why is it denied that PMMM is hugely popular with the man-children?
(kinda obvious)
Annf

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Seems like this thread wound up more about debating the definitions of "otaku," "Type B," and "otaku show" than it is about Madoka.

There's a legion of character-moe otaku who love depressing and tear-jerker stories. They enjoy falling in love with a character and then having their emotions explode when that character suffers. That's why there's so many eroge like that.
If that's not Type B in English, then we're gonna need to invent a Type B-Category 2 or something. But it certainly falls under the Type B category to the 2channers who made up the Type A/B stuff in the first place.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:06 pm Reply with quote
NonoAsumy wrote:
My initial question aimed more towards "Why is such a distinction necessary?"

Why is it denied that PMMM is hugely popular with the man-children?
(kinda obvious)

*ahem*

I prefer the term man-kinder. There's something about adding a Teutonic designation that lends a whiff of respectability to an otherwise dubious status ... right? Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7