• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Zac Bertschy: Terrible American Tourist

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:43 pm Reply with quote
TokyoGetter wrote:
Zac wrote:
DizzyLikeQuantum wrote:

Feeling better about yourself after publicly eviscerating a group of dweeby tourists? They may be goofy-but they did not go out of their way to insult you (posting pictures too-that was classy). Viciously lashing out at people who are similar to you does not make you "cool" nor does it establish any measure of superiority. While they paraded around the shrine like dorky tourists you snickered and took a picture of them. Congratulations-you're super cool. I would offer you a cookie but you are too cool to eat it, so I guess I'll have it. Mmm-chocolate chip...

I drink your righteous indignation like wine.

Self-edited because every time I make a funny lately, somebody gon' get mad.

Maybe that indicates your funny is just not that funny? Just saying. I mean if it happens EVERY time...
CursedFrogurt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:25 am Reply with quote
Whatever. Every gaijin in Japan always feels at least *a little* of that when seeing non-Asians going about Asian things. I mean, I've worn a yukata during the summer festivals and while hell *I* thought I looked a little goofy. Nevermind the whole filming yourself doing rituals with which you have only the vaguest association with. Hell, at least if you're going to pull the "Look me I'm in JAPAN!! Doing JAPANESE things!!!" then I'll be far more impressed if you do it somewhere besides friggin' Tokyo! I'm not trying to show off here, just saying that I completely understand Zac's sarcasm here.

Anyways.

I thought a very similar thing about Ueno Zoo, especially given that the entrance fee is only about USD$6!! However, the actual exhibits are spacious, there are many varieties of animals and they seem to be in good shape, especially given the age of the place. Well, except maybe the Galapagos Tortoise, which seems to have grown way too large for it's small tank. But hey, the place is even bilingual to boot.
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:30 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
TokyoGetter wrote:
Zac wrote:
DizzyLikeQuantum wrote:

Feeling better about yourself after publicly eviscerating a group of dweeby tourists? They may be goofy-but they did not go out of their way to insult you (posting pictures too-that was classy). Viciously lashing out at people who are similar to you does not make you "cool" nor does it establish any measure of superiority. While they paraded around the shrine like dorky tourists you snickered and took a picture of them. Congratulations-you're super cool. I would offer you a cookie but you are too cool to eat it, so I guess I'll have it. Mmm-chocolate chip...

I drink your righteous indignation like wine.

Self-edited because every time I make a funny lately, somebody gon' get mad.

Maybe that indicates your funny is just not that funny? Just saying. I mean if it happens EVERY time...

I've also won writing awards and been taken out to lunch by Academy Award-winning directors... figure somebody likes it... somewhere...
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:52 am Reply with quote
TokyoGetter wrote:
I've also won writing awards and been taken out to lunch by Academy Award-winning directors... figure somebody likes it... somewhere...

Yes, but who exactly is the target audience for your "awards" that you've won? As has been seen it hasn't been anime fans.
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:11 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
TokyoGetter wrote:

Yes, but who exactly is the target audience for your "awards" that you've won? As has been seen it hasn't been anime fans.

Yet another reason why reading the forums lately is like stabbing yourself in the brain with a q-tip.

(I like how you put it in "quotes", like awards don't "exist" and have been made up by "the man" or "the Illuminati") Smile

Quote:
As has been seen it hasn't been anime fans.

Oh how I'll sob myself to sleep night after night knowing that...
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:37 pm Reply with quote
TokyoGetter wrote:
fighterholic wrote:
TokyoGetter wrote:

Yet another reason why reading the forums lately is like stabbing yourself in the brain with a q-tip.

(I like how you put it in "quotes", like awards don't "exist" and have been made up by "the man" or "the Illuminati") Smile

Quote:
As has been seen it hasn't been anime fans.

Oh how I'll sob myself to sleep night after night knowing that...

The partially amusing thing is that you deliberately chose to not answer his question. I mean, why bring something up that you're not going to defend?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:42 pm Reply with quote
TokyoGetter wrote:

I agree, users like you make the place a lot less fun to hang around.
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Sake: I was under the impression that it was a rhetorical question that didn't necessitate an answer by nature. Feel free to contact me and I'll throw you my CV sometime.

Zac: I've PM'ed you.

[/i]
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:34 pm Reply with quote
TokyoGetter wrote:
Sake: I was under the impression that it was a rhetorical question that didn't necessitate an answer by nature. Feel free to contact me and I'll throw you my CV sometime.

Zac: I've PM'ed you.

[/i]

*Headdesk*
But how was the food? You didn't mention it much. Or did you just eat cheap ramen and pretend you were a 12 year old Narutard?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:46 am Reply with quote
TokyoGetter wrote:
fighterholic wrote:
TokyoGetter wrote:

Okay, I'll point out the elephant in the room. "The man" or "the Illuminati" aren't making up your awards. You are. I believe that's why fighterholic put it in quotes. You most likely haven't won any awards. It's possible that I'm wrong. Statistically though, I'm not and you're just making it up. That's almost always the case when someone on an internet forum starts talking about their nondescript 'awards' or something.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:56 am Reply with quote
TokyoGetter wrote:

Ok, ego stroking aside that doesn't really mean jack about your jokes being funny or not. Did you win these writing awards for anything involving comedy by any chance? And there's always someone who will like some joke out there. If that was not the case 4chan would be dead and buried already. That still doesn't mean the joke is actually funny though. Just saying.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:32 am Reply with quote
TokyoGetter, I wasn't going to say anything, because you have already been chewed out by no less than five people (at a quick count). However, then I remembered your frankly horrible behaviour in that Gundam statue thread not so long ago, and I felt compelled to join the chorus. You strike me as the type of person who believes that they piss wine and crap gold bricks. You are rude, you are condescending, and you obviously think that everyone should laugh at your jokes because you are so funny, or don't we know? Yes, we do know; you are as funny as a Dodo, and look at the wonderful high-flying careers they enjoy now.

As for your alleged awards and the alleged lunches with Academy Award-winning directors, I find it very hard to believe. Perhaps you received one of those awards in second grade for a story on how loud elephants are. And maybe the lunches were a result of you being female and lifting a bit of skirt with some of those liberal Hollywood directors (going by your location). I don't know. And that's the trouble; on the Internet anyone can claim to be anything. I would have thought that most modern successful writers would have known this and attempted to portray themselves a bit better online.

And that's another thing. If you are so smart as to win proper awards for writing, you would have the verbosity and finesse to come across as a better person than the one you currently are. A great writer would be able persuade me that they really are a great writer without having to make such bad moves as claiming that you will only share your C.V. with us if we Private Message you. That is typical avoidance behaviour, and you cannot blame us for assuming the worst no matter what you have actually acheived.

Anyway, even if you have done what you have said you have done (and that's a very big and very dubious "even if"), you are still a jerk. And not in the Zac mold either. You love to mock and put down those who don't even deserve it, and when called out you respond with insults. Please do everyone a favour and either grow up, or go back to Fantasy Island, magical directors and all. Either one is fine by me.
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:27 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
TokyoGetter wrote:
fighterholic wrote:
TokyoGetter wrote:

Okay, I'll point out the elephant in the room. "The man" or "the Illuminati" aren't making up your awards. You are. I believe that's why fighterholic put it in quotes. You most likely haven't won any awards. It's possible that I'm wrong. Statistically though, I'm not and you're just making it up. That's almost always the case when someone on an internet forum starts talking about their nondescript 'awards' or something.

I had ABSOLUTELY no intention of going off on anybody for anything at all, dog pilers, but I'll go ahead and put them up.

Columbia University Journalism/entertainment (National level - year redacted)
American Medical Association (National level - year redacted)
Kuper award (year redacted)

Last one lead to my scholarships, the publishing, and my "day" job.

I'm responding to SP's below, because it's personal, then I'm done and out of this. I'm not bagging on anybody here any more and I'm sorry if I've come across as completely harsh and draggy.

Thanks.
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:44 am Reply with quote
Board moderator: Please delete both dtm's post and my response. They're off-topic and don't add anything to the conversation. I feel compelled to answer because it's four paragraphs of ranting ad hominem mania that is just ridiculous at best, but both posts shouldn't dreck up your boards.

dtm42 wrote:
TokyoGetter, I wasn't going to say anything, because you have already been chewed out by no less than five people (at a quick count).

"... and thus I've decided to pile one because I'm cowardly and have previously expressed a marked inability to make a point in a cogent fashion. YAY INTERNET!"

OK, guy-who-has-nothing-to-do-with-this, let's get this over with so I can never type in your direction again.

dtm42 wrote:
However, then I remembered your frankly horrible behaviour in that Gundam statue thread not so long ago, and I felt compelled to join the chorus.

Hardly.

That thread went like this: You came in, pissed on that thread, I called you on it and asked if you could see how it tied in to Gundam, you left a bunch of empty rhetorical questions in your wake because you obviously didn't want to have a real discussion about it, and I responded on-topic.

If that is "frankly horrible behavior," then we should start burning down any Uni that has a humanities, law, or debate program. I wasn't "going at you" or "tearing you down", just responding in the same way I responded to the "honkey douchebag" line that Zac wrote.

dtm42 wrote:
You strike me as the type of person who believes that they piss wine and crap gold bricks. You are rude, you are condescending, and you obviously think that everyone should laugh at your jokes because you are so funny, or don't we know? Yes, we do know; you are as funny as a Dodo, and look at the wonderful high-flying careers they enjoy now.

Internet warrior. Terrifying.

dtm42 wrote:
As for your alleged awards and the alleged lunches with Academy Award-winning directors, I find it very hard to believe.

What a damned shame.

dtm42 wrote:
Perhaps you received one of those awards in second grade for a story on how loud elephants are. And maybe the lunches were a result of you being female and lifting a bit of skirt with some of those liberal Hollywood directors (going by your location).

That is some BRILLIANT ass-forward thinking you've presented to the world here. "Yes, I'm just a little 28 year-old Latina and it's so hard here because THOSE PEOPLE run the media and it's SUCH a big, scary world outside of my kitchen I don't know what I'd do... "

Seriously, go back in five years and read that paragraph when you want a relapse of douche-chills.

(More importantly, we ALL know elephants aren't loud on the whole. Just when they're spooked. Duh.)

dtm42 wrote:
I don't know. And that's the trouble; on the Internet anyone can claim to be anything. I would have thought that most modern successful writers would have known this and attempted to portray themselves a bit better online.

Look, I'm moderately successful at best. Not successful at all by NYT standards. A big part of that was writing comedy. Nobody showed up this morning and took my car away because I didn't make you giggle, so I guess all's right with the world in that sense.

Anyway, let's stop the "I have a mansion and a yacht!" line of questioning because there's a fine line between "I know what I'm doing" and "I'm being a jerk." As I mentioned, if I have crossed it, I apologize.

I hang out and read the forums because they're fun and I like the interplay, even when it turns crappy. Writers are a notoriously prickly and condescending lot. There's STILL writing up online that other people have "done" which consists of 80% of my work and that bothers me to no end.

If you want professional presentation and nobility, then stay out of any LA-based writing board... or better yet, go read their archives during the strike. Multi-millionaires using language that would make a pimp blush.

dtm42 wrote:
And that's another thing. If you are so smart as to win proper awards for writing, you would have the verbosity and finesse to come across as a better person than the one you currently are.

Or maybe I don't care to? Maybe I'm enjoying myself and not writing another thesis or 900 page treatment or checking copy? God forbid.

dtm42 wrote:
A great writer would be able persuade me that they really are a great writer without having to make such bad moves as claiming that you will only share your C.V. with us if we Private Message you.

This actually bothers me. The "us" is your inference, not mine. Feel free to go mind your own damned business on this front and stop meddling where you don't belong. I wasn't advertising anything to you.

You know WHY I offered to PM her that? Because I'm friends with some of her friends and coworkers IRL and didn't want to confuse the issue. I felt I owed her that courtesy.

dtm42 wrote:
That is typical avoidance behaviour, and you cannot blame us for assuming the worst no matter what you have actually acheived.

Again, your inference, not mine. It was a comment to HER and not "us." Don't make it your issue, because it wasn't.

dtm42 wrote:
Anyway, even if you have done what you have said you have done (and that's a very big and very dubious "even if"), you are still a jerk. And not in the Zac mold either. You love to mock and put down those who don't even deserve it, and when called out you respond with insults.

This is the pot calling the kettle black. You've gone off on people over and over on the forums, and I've called you on it. Now you're freaking out in a completed unrelated section because you couldn't defend yourself and you needed inertia by way of blanket inference.

Gah, which one of us is wearing the skirt here?

dtm42 wrote:
Please do everyone a favour and either grow up, or go back to Fantasy Island, magical directors and all.

I sincerely hope that when I DO grow up, I'll have the elusive 10th grade education replete with a grasp of literary device and metatextual awareness that has seemed to escape your grasp over and over again.

I have a sinking suspicion that those qualities must be as rare as the dodo around your household if this is how you get your jollies.

dtm42 wrote:
Either one is fine by me.

I wish you the best of luck in life and love, but the problem is that after reading your writing and witnessing your entire loathsome and vengeful attitude I don't care about you either way.

To others reading: I'm done with this thread and apologize for the jerkishness that I have displayed here. Have a wonderful weekend, a nice bowl of ice cream, and enjoy some good DVDs or a nice walk in the park in the next few days.

"Honky douchebag"

-TG
UltimateSpaceLion

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Apparently unrelated to what's going on now in this thread (lol) but the picture of the Ueno crow reminded me of the time I was attacked and chased by one in the Tokyo suburbs. Terrifying stuff. They are ridiculously huge over there. Shocked
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 21 of 22