• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Terror in Resonance (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:42 am Reply with quote
I really liked this show in the beginning. I didn't even mind Lisa that much I just wish that she had joined up with the boys sooner. I can accept characters that are weak or that are screwups. However, once 5 showed up things just took a left turn into a wall for me.

I was really enjoying the cat and mouse game between Shibazaki and the boys. It made me wonder if he could keep up with the boys terrorist riddles while trying to understand and investigate their motives. 5s appearance shoved that all aside. The whole airport chess game was dumb almost juvenile (maybe that was the point?) and lost the thriller quality it had before. She had more resources and natural ability than our police investigator but somehow felt inferior (and more boring) as an opponent for the boys. I didn't mind how 5 spoiler[ended as she knew she didn't have time left]. But there's no context to understand why she told 9 spoiler[to live for her]. This is because we don't know the relationship she had with 9 and 12. We don't know how she ended up working for the Americans. At first I thought that maybe the American government was a secret co-sponsor to the project, but after the last 2 episodes it doesn't seem that way.

I haven't cared for other things like how no one has gotten killed from the boys terrorist acts or the nauseatingly trite implication that one man's terrorist is another man's hero. I started off pretty excited for the show, but now I'm feeling somewhat ambivalent.
danilo07

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:33 am Reply with quote
spoiler[The car chase scene] was really disorienting, most of the time I couldn't tell who was where. So now even the visuals have started sucking, I guess it compliments the writing of this show.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:19 am Reply with quote
I kind of liked the eppie. Didn't expect spoiler[9 to surrender right off the bat.] I agree that the scene with the spoiler[Old Dude was pointless.]

The way I interpret the end with 5 is that, in her mind, if spoiler[she caught up with 9, she would have "won" their game, which she has never been able to do before. Having accomplished that and near death anyway, she kills herself. I think she knows what 9 is trying to do and approves of it so when she says she wants to live on through him, she's basically saying, "yes, get revenge/expose the truth about what went down."]
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:59 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
At this point, the most fleshed out character is probably Shibazaki...

This is the most accurate statement about this show. The bulk of good character development has gone to Shibazaki. Lisa has gotten bad character development. 9 and 12 remain mostly mysteries, although 12 at least has some personality to him. 5 is more or less just the crazy psycho fan girl obsessed with the male leads, so crazy spoiler[that she just kills herself in the end for no obvious reason after spending all this time trying to kill and/or capture the two boys.] The whole show is a jumble, but at least Shibazaki makes sense.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:59 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

Alright, I kind of understand everything now. Five was spoiler[never interested in taking Nine into custody, which is why she did such crazy things]. Her goals were to spoiler[one beat Nine at a game, which she apparently did in having him at her mercy, and followed by a kiss as she apparently liked him in that he helped her survive. Other than that she was ready to die].

Okay, it might look like the bit with the old guy was pointless, but there actually was a good reason for it. We found out the motivation of spoiler[the facility was to help make Japan back into winners after considered weak after its defeat in the war, always keeping ties with America like they are still defeated]. From what we know the Japanese government spoiler[gave Five to America, this was because in the end they considered her a bit of a failure, and it looks like they did it to keep America off the trail that they were making Atomic bombs]. The reason the American government were so aggressive is because spoiler[they did start to catch wind that a certain part of the Japanese government was making very dangerous bombs. America wanted to get to Sphinx to use them as evidence of the plans].

Also, I am not too surprised about what Nine did, spoiler[he felt like they were pushed into a corner and decided that it was now to bank on the publicity they had earned to make sure they get a press conference where he can blow the lid].
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:13 am Reply with quote
Svidrigailov wrote:
Unicorn, it seemed obvious to me that spoiler[there was a terminal illness or something similar at hand, and that Five was aware of its imminence.]

Yeah I got that a long time ago, this was not the main object of my criticism.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:04 pm Reply with quote
So I've only just watched episode 9, and though spoiler[neither Lisa nor Twelve ultimately died on the Ferris wheel], I still found it to be a heart-piercingly powerful scene, between the music and the fact that the scene relied more on character expression than a smattering of hyper-emotional words, as most anime seems to deem necessary (read: it's not).

Frankly, neither is the internally-monologued exposition of Lisa's internal strife that some of you are asking for, nor is any profound elaboration on the relationship between her and Twelve. That kind of thing is what we have Naruto for. In this case, I, for one, am happy that they're leaving the precise nature of their relationship and feelings up for interpretation. The aforementioned spoiler[Ferris wheel scene] was perfectly balanced for what we know of Lisa and Twelve: the latter didn't go there to spoiler[save her and jeopardise everything he'd worked for with Nine up to that point] because he was a love-stricken fuckwit. He went there because he understood that a person that he made the mistake of dragging into all of this was spoiler[about to die and, that being the case, it was his responsibility]. It just so happened to also be the right thing to do. You can hate on her all you want, but Lisa's one human life is worth more than preserving Sphinx's hold on spoiler[an atomic bomb prototype that could extinguish that of thousands of others], or whatever Sphinx were driving at with their previous attacks. The closest we got to love or romance was his reassurance to her that it wasn't her fault, if you want to call it like that.

Seriously, why does every moment of human connection or decency in television and film have to be looked at through some almost philophobic or philophilic lens?

As for Lisa herself, I predicted correctly that she would be a sore spot for whoever decided to watch this because for some reason, people expect that a depressed adolescent teen who ran away from a psychologically unhealthy home life in favour of becoming an accomplice to a duo of high-profile terrorists would know precisely what she's after and how to contribute to a cause which she knows nothing about. I agree with Blood- on this: Lisa, regardless of whether or not she serves any practical benefit to the boys and their mission thus far, is a humanising element. Was it wise for her to run away and join them? No. Was it beneficial to either herself or Sphinx for Twelve to take her in? Absolutely not. But that's part of the point: you forget that these are teens we're dealing with here--the kind who wouldn't even be good and legal to fudge each other yet here in some of the States, regardless of the fact that they might be spoiler[artificially high-functioning savants]. They're living on borrowed time to pick a fight with a nation at an extremely young age, and the decisions they make are hardly going to always be the wisest, either in the context of their plans, or from the 20/20 viewer perspectives we have.

As for the purported frivolity of Five's planning, you also understand that while she is backed by the FBI, she does not conform to the same level of professionalism that the others might, and that runs right down to her character design: her near-albino characteristics are supposed to clash with that of the rest of the cast in order to suggest outlandishness and instability on her part. She is stated to be spoiler[the only test subject to exhibit positive results in the Athena Project], and it has already been established that she has a spoiler[sociopathic obsession with games and toying with the lives and emotions of others]. The location of spoiler[the atomic bomb prototype, and even capturing the members of Sphinx for the extraction of that information, are secondary objectives to her, something that her handler is just now beginning to realise]. spoiler[Mailing a bomb to Lisa] instead of simply spoiler[dispatching a team to apprehend them was nothing more or less than her sending a message to the boys that she knew where they were and that she could find them (through Lisa)] whenever she wanted.

The only thing that I cannot logically and sensibly justify is the FBI's willingness to spoiler[allow her to run amok. Perhaps they see her as the best person to spearhead the effort because she knows them well from her days in the Project.] Regardless, it is common practice in entertainment to depict national security organisations such as the FBI, CIA, and NSA as resourceful, yet morally deficient entities, and it wouldn't surprise me if this were another one of those cases.

With all of that out of the way, I think this is definitely the best and, in its own way, classiest show of the season so far, though I expected nothing less from Shinichiro Watanabe with Yoko Kanno as composer.

Last edited by Gatherum on Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:42 pm Reply with quote
People keep saying they dragged Lisa into this mess. I suppose by doing the first bombing at all they sort of did, but they didn't target her over anyone else. Lisa got "dragged into" this mess because she was too stupid to figure out how to get out of the building in almost half an hour. They actually kind of saved her from her own helplessness, and even gave her a choice about it.

At this point, I expect Lisa to save them all. spoiler[The balloon will look down on her pathetic moe face and deflate in sympathy, saying I just can't kill that girl, I'm turning off my timer and coming down now.]

Ok, I'll stop now. It's just that she has completely ruined what would have otherwise been a very enjoyable series for me and I'm bitter. Evil or Very Mad
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

At this point, I expect Lisa to save them all. spoiler[The balloon will look down on her pathetic moe face and deflate in sympathy, saying I just can't kill that girl, I'm turning off my timer and coming down now.]

Ok, I'll stop now. It's just that she has completely ruined what would have otherwise been a very enjoyable series for me and I'm bitter. Evil or Very Mad

Rofl. I could actually imagine that happening...
Gatherum

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:01 am Reply with quote
Right, so I just watched episode 10, and without saying much of the plot (which I otherwise had no qualms with), I am very sad because this is a phenomenal show with really great ideas that turned out to be another one of those meant to be a two-cour run, yet was cut short. It is very easy to see that there is a lot of development that was just glossed over and wrapped up quickly. Granted, it did so far more graciously than other shows that suffer this fate, and is still worth a very good rating from me, but now, I cannot help but to despair at what could have been. Sad

One can only hope for some OVA's or a remake someday.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:20 am Reply with quote
Hmm, I really don't feel like this show has been rushed. Sometimes I do feel that way about a 1-cours show but not in this case. The problems I have with it mainly center around plot credibility issues (particularly anything to do with how 5 was allowed to operate) and going through a period of being aggravated by Lisa as a character (a position that changed as time went on, I actually like her as a character now). Neither problem would have been cured by more episodes, in my case.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:41 pm Reply with quote
The series is not as much rushed as not well written. They seem to emphasise a lot on elements that as it turns out do not matter, and come up with some unnecessary elements to fill in the time. I am not sure they knew what they wanted to do with a good idea for the beginning, so they did whatever. 24 episodes would not solve a problem, but reworking the material they had would.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Gatherum wrote:
I am very sad because this is a phenomenal show with really great ideas that turned out to be another one of those meant to be a two-cour run, yet was cut short.

And how does that happen with an original work?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Gatherum wrote:
I am very sad because this is a phenomenal show with really great ideas that turned out to be another one of those meant to be a two-cour run, yet was cut short.

And how does that happen with an original work?

It can, apparently. I believe I read somewhere that Umetsu's Galilei Donna was originally planned as a 2-cours but at some point that decision was changed and it ended up with 11 episodes. If you've seen the whole thing, as I unaccountably did, and see all the dropped threads and rushed parts you can easily imagine that's what happens when creatively you've plotted out a 2-cours story and then are suddenly told at the last moment to do it in one.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. More likely suppressed the memory.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 22 of 25