• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How you started with anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dalvyn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:41 am Reply with quote
Well I'm going to feel really young now. (I'm 22.)

I guess my first anime was technically Pokemon, but as many others have stated, I was to young to realize it was anime.

My next anime was Digimon, and I have always liked it more than Pokemon. I remember getting into debates at school over the two, and I was to young to argue a good case, but thinking back, the fact that characters actually dies, (sort of) and that the story had actual suspense, and a feeling of importance of consequence, made me love it way more Pokemon.

Then like many others I loved DBZ, though I lost interest after the Cell arc.

After this, when I realized that anime was an actual thing, Adult Swim lead me to Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Yu Yu Hakashoo, (Or however you spell it) and Samuria Champloo. (Who doesn't love Samuria Champloo? You don't? Well you are wrong.)

I remember Yuyu whatever being gory and full of cursing, pitty they changed that when it went to Toonami.

Then I saw Gungrave on G4 ( Or was it G4 TechTV then?)

And then I went on hiatus for a while, tried Bleach, wasn't really interested in it much.

Also Inyuasha was in there somewhere. I enjoyed it while I was young, but never really had to see it.

Gundam was also in there as well, I think I watched the whole original show on G4 (TechTV?) There where other Gundams I watched as well, like Wing, but I never got into it because I jumped in halfway through the season and had no idea what was going on. (Though now after watching Wing I love it. What can I say, I like heavy, philosophical dialogue.)

All of these where dubs. When I was looking for new things to watch, I heard of When They Cry, and I love horror, but found the dub so terrible that I had to switch to subs. Ever since then I have been a sub fan all the way.

Then I watched Toradora and after seeing that Masterpiece I was no longer against Romances and Slice of Life stories.

And many many marathons of shows later here I am.
Blue Chocobo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Like most of us, I watched Speed Racer and Pokemon when I was younger, but I really started to get into anime when Comcast started their "On Demand" service. They had some shows from Anime Network, and I watched an episode of Blue Seed one day. I remember thinking how different it was from anything else I'd watched, so I started watching the shows they had after school.

This did, however, lead to me watching Evangelion starting from episode 19 or so. If you think it's confusing watching from the beginning, just imagine starting there.
Dustoid92

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:45 am Reply with quote

Last edited by Dustoid92 on Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Nemo of Mentis

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I am the odd man out, I think: I did not grow up watching Pokemon or Dragonball, and I didn't watch Toonami when it was on. The first anime I watched was Macross Zero, if you can believe it. I watched it in bad youtube quality, without sound, in a back room in my grandparents' old house. While sometimes entertaining (though entirely incoherent), that's not what got me into anime.

After that was Interstella 5555, which remains to this day one of my favorite anime of all time (and probably one of my favorite films), but that's not what got me into anime either. Neither was it Blue Submarine No. 6. Nope, what got me into anime, strangely enough, was The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, in Fall 2009.

Now, today, it probably does not rank even in my top ten (though it's still a thoroughly interesting and enjoyable show), but it illustrated quite clearly that anime was "a thing." It illustrated that it could explore ideas in ways that were seldom if at all seen in the west, and illustrated just how vast the Japanese animation scene really is.

From there, I started in on some of the canon, and I somehow ended up here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4