• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2012 Bubblegum Crisis Film Planned with Caucasian/Asian Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nargun

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 7:13 pm Reply with quote
ximpalullaorg wrote:
Hardsuits wouldn't be cheap to do

Sure they would. They're costumes, and not that complex ones; costumes are pretty cheap. You vacform them, say, or mold them in vinyl, rather than sew them, no big drama. Doable on amateur budget, really is.

The big-ticket items here are the effects, and the boomers if you do them live-action [mechatronics isn't cheap].
LordRobin

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 7:26 pm Reply with quote
I always thought that if they did Bubblegum Crisis as a live-action movie, that they should do it as an "80's retro-future", i.e. the future as it might have been imagined in the 80's. 80's music, 80's hairstyles, a future imagined from 80's tech, but rendered with 21st-century production values. That could be a fun film.

------RM
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 7:31 pm Reply with quote
LordRobin wrote:
I always thought that if they did Bubblegum Crisis as a live-action movie, that they should do it as an "80's retro-future", i.e. the future as it might have been imagined in the 80's. 80's music, 80's hairstyles, a future imagined from 80's tech, but rendered with 21st-century production values. That could be a fun film.

------RM

So, basically what they did in the anime.

I think they should do a remake of the series, or a continuation, animated, like that. Get some of the old crew back.

Then again, BGC is one of those things where, it was the right thing at just the right time, and was lightning in a bottle. It probably can't be recaptured.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
yojimboray

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 2:08 am Reply with quote
why do they keep proposing/making $#!t like this? because of idiots like us who think, "oh, it sounds ridiculous, but i'm going to buy a ticket and give it a chance."
nagato316

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Ryllharu wrote:

Minnie May. Age 17 during the story, underage prostitute before that.

I doubt that the MPAA rating board would be all too pleased with that little facet of the story. She is rather open about her sexuality, and put her very youthful appearance together with that and the ratings board would have a conniption fit.

That issue did occur to me, obviously not when I originally posted, but over the course of the weekend...it _had_ been a while since I read the manga. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. What would really send the MPAA ratings folks into a tizzy would be spoiler[ the relationship between Minnie May Hopkins and the 30-something Ken Takizawa. Bam...instant NC17 rating and box office poison]...helluva iceberg, huh?

Ryllharu wrote:

If they took it seriously, and went for the R rating from the outset, a Gunsmith Cats movie could be very well done. Guns, girls, fast cars, explosions, the works.

And in order to maintain that R rating, the scriptwriters and other people involved in this project would have to edit out and/or "re-purpose" the Minnie May backstory for the theatrical release. As far as staying true to the manga regarding this...uh, seamy point of contention...well, that's what the DVD/BluRay release of the "unrated" (and thus uncut) version would be for.
Faceman

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:42 am Reply with quote
They could just knock Minnie Mae to 18-20 year old age. Then you could include most of her backstory, I think, without it being much of an issue. I really wouldn't mind flexing the ages of the characters a bit if they can keep the bulk of the story.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Faceman wrote:
I really wouldn't mind flexing the ages of the characters a bit if they can keep the bulk of the story.

I'm not against that either, provided the fact the characters in the original are children is not by itself a major element of the story.
(For this reason, I have my doubts about the live action Evangelion project.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jadress

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm really the type that doesn't want to pre-judge and flip out about live-action adaptations before they come out or before we see trailers, but this...

Quote:
the cast will "feature two male leads and a quartet of female action babes

This is ringing one giant bullshit alarm for me. The fact that the Knight Sabers are no longer leads, but of *course*, have been relegated to "action babes".. sounds like typical Hollywood "no one wants to see a woman in a lead role, especially for action/sci fi.. what, Alien? Yeah never heard of it!" crap attitude. Man, is it just me, or are we moving backwards?

That said, I think the Bubblegum Crisis property would actually work very well for a Hollywood movie, considering it's mainly about action and cool stuff and was very Hollywood-influenced from the start. But yeah, I am having strong reservations about the male lead thing and the budget.. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:23 pm Reply with quote
This is just another case of the retarded Hollywood execs not understanding a property from the outset. Reminds me of Kevin Smith talking to Jon Peters about the newest Superman film when it was still on the drawing board. The guy was a hairdresser of all things...he knew absolutely NOTHING about this stuff and they made him a producer...this is why I have no faith whatsoever in Hollywood. There have been plenty of other films that were great that they could be taking inspiration from.

Hell, Ridley Scott would be perfect to direct a BGC adaptation but, there's no way in a million years that they'd get him. They're just not that smart. Also, like one of the previous posters said, there's just too many fingers in one pie. Too many different people all with their own ideas. Personally, I'm not going to hold out much hope about this. I'm pretty sure someone will tell me not to judge before I've seen it but, if any of the previous anime adaptations are any indication, than I'll just rest my case and not hold my breath. I'll just point to the list of past and present adaptations that have tried to make the jump from anime to live action and have failed:

Fist of the North Star, Speed Racer, Dragonball: Evolution, Casshern (although not Hollywood it was an anime to live action adaptation that was quite a failure). You can even look to all the different video game adaptations that have failed to get an idea of how badly they can and most likely will screw this up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Boomer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:44 pm Reply with quote
In the name of all that is good and holy, no!!!! Words cannot express how much I am dreading this. I can just imagine the Hollywood stars they would have lined up to play these characters:

Angelina Jolie as Sylia Stingray

Lindsay Lohan as Nene Romanova

Sandra Oh as Priss Asagiri

Lucy Liu as Linna Yamazaki

Ewan McGregor (or Tobey Maguire or David Arquette) as Leon McNichol

Ryan Gosling as Daley Wong

David Carradine (if he were alive) as Quincy

Bonus - Forest Whitaker (or Cedric the Entertainer) as Chief Todo

While we're at it, let's get Michael Bay to direct this thing. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4