• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Adds Sword Art Online, Blast of Tempest, Magi Anime

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:40 pm Reply with quote
I am excited to see Sword Art Online licensed but am not excited for Aniplex of America being the licensee.

I have not posted in a while. From time to time, I do manage to check in to see if there are any news of interest. This is the situation I see with Aniplex of America. Despite them licensing some popular titles, their asking price is a bit high. Yes, it does come with nice extras and packing. Do you really care about that about it in the end?

Fans can choose to buy said series or not. From the fan's perspective, it is a lose-lose situation. They do not support the show they like. Even if they end up buying in the end, it will cost them a lot.

Aniplex of America comes out the eventual winner in the end. You can wait the non-LE/SE/CE version which is discounted slightly from the first print. But of course, the possibility of that happening depends on how well the first print did in sales.

Yes, it does come to a steep cost for the fan in the end, a Pyrrhic victory even. Despite all that I have said, I cave in the end because no one else has the series. It is great to take part in a battle you can not win.

This is what I have seen almost every time there is a Aniplex of America license and I am just going to come out and say it. I just can not stand when people put down other people for not buying some of Aniplex of America's releases. They just come out as elitist and all high and mighty because they can afford it while you can not. Do keep in mind that not everyone makes whatever you are making. It'd be nice to have a little extra for yourself after taking care of living expenses.

Anime is not a necessity of life. But whenever we can, we like to indulge in something we like. But when that something ends up costing more than we make, we put ourselves in debt. Is it really worth it?
Volibear

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:40 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Shouldn't we be happy that more home releases are coming to the R1 market instead?

Why would people be happy about more home releases if they were out of their price range? To people who can't afford it that's the same as no release at all.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:44 pm Reply with quote
The Naked Beast wrote:

I have not posted in a while. From time to time, I do manage to check in to see if there are any news of interest. This is the situation I see with Aniplex of America. Despite them licensing some popular titles, their asking price is a bit high. Yes, it does come with nice extras and packing. Do you really care about that about it in the end?

there are people who do care, a lot, about extras and nice packaging. we call them collectors and will most certainly pay the asking price for all the extra goodies. i did with bakemonogatari, and it was worth it.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Sword Art Online was an obvious pick up here for Aniplex of America... they release all of the "Major Hits" Aniplex puts out in Japan. I fully expect a dub, but it should be in the 150-180 range since its 2 cour. Kinda surprised about Magi and Tempest, though.

Touma wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
Couldn't you just watch it on Crunchyroll if your problem's not being able to watch the show?

No I couldn't, which is part of the problem.
Streaming video is just not an option for me. Neither is any television other than the major broadcast networks.
For me it is home video or nothing.

Why not? Your info shows you are America, so there should be no issues Streaming for you.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:

I appreciate that Aniplex's releases have a lot of extras and stuff, but they really need to learn to conform to current R1 prices. It's part of what killed Bandai

I see this thrown around a lot for some reason, which is odd because it is an outright lie. Bandai wasn't killed. Bandai is alive and thriving in Japan. What died was Bandai's efforts to make any money off of the US market outside of importers.

The American anime market, and the anime market outside of Japan in general is so unimportant to Bandai that they'd rather close up shop and be more centralized domestically than even bother trying to make a profit a bunch of people who will only whine no matter what the price/format of the release is.

If you want to see even further centralization of the anime market to Japan, then fine, continue what you all are doing. Aniplex doesn't have to license their shows to the US. They're making more than enough profit on SAO alone to attempt to jeopardize the stability of the market in Japan with a much cheaper alternative that could be reverse imported.
Soundmonkey44

I look forward to purchasing Magi from them next year. Very Happy

*Now if only VIZ would get the manga*
Bright_Spear

angelmcazares wrote:

If they do not make enough money in the R1 anime market, they will simple leave.

Good.

Seeing other companies can release less popular stuff over here with a dub and the same quality packaging, then aniplex can to. If they can't stay afloat without gouging us then they should get out of the way so others can pick up these titles.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Bright_Spear wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

If they do not make enough money in the R1 anime market, they will simple leave.

Good.

Seeing other companies can release less popular stuff over here with a dub and the same quality packaging, then aniplex can to. If they can't stay afloat without gouging us then they should get out of the way so others can pick up these titles.

The fact that AoA is now releasing even more stuff instead of going through third parties makes me think that they are doing just fine with this type of release.
Volibear

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:58 pm Reply with quote
The Naked Beast wrote:
This is what I have seen almost every time there is a Aniplex of America license and I am just going to come out and say it. I just can not stand when people put down other people for not buying some of Aniplex of America's releases. They just come out as elitist and all high and mighty because they can afford it while you can not. Do keep in mind that not everyone makes whatever you are making. It'd be nice to have a little extra for yourself after taking care of living expenses.

Anime is not a necessity of life. But whenever we can, we like to indulge in something we like. But when that something ends up costing more than we make, we put ourselves in debt. Is it really worth it?

I'm glad someone said that. Pretty much everyone here seems to be in the boat that AoA are not a company who's business model they like because of how it prices them out of releases that they would absolutely love to own and yet a few people seem to be getting a joy from rubbing everyone else's noses in the fact that they can buy them. And then it's always some excuse like "you're not supporting the industry if you won't buy them", "a real anime fan would pay those prices" or "it works for Japanese fans, why shouldn't they do the same here?"
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
bacondreamer wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:
And they can all be yours, for the low low price of your right arm, your left leg, your firstborn child, and your eternal soul!! Very Happy

ShanaFan852 wrote:
Let the pricing complaints start...Rolling Eyes

Your damn right! I'll stop complaining when they grow some decent business sense and stop raping our wallets.

You should complain to the Japanese fans and see how they respond.....mind you they pay $65-80 for 2-3 episodes....

It always amazes me that some people think this point is relevant at all. Who cares what Japanese fans would think of North American prices? We are talking two totally different markets with two totally different pricing expectations. What is relevant is the price AoA asks of it customers relative to OTHER NA distribs. Seems like a pretty basic point.

It matters because Japan is the main market. If the West isn't willing to pay similar prices... and hell, even COMPLAIN at shows that are sold at 1/3rd the price of the Japanese release, then why should Aniplex and other anime companies care about them AT ALL? Can you imagine some foreign country complaining about a new video game costing 15-20 bucks? This is kinda how the Japanese view Westerners and their complaining.
Bright_Spear

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:01 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

The fact that AoA is now releasing even more stuff instead of going through third parties makes me think that they are doing just fine with this type of release.

Which doesn't surprize me at all. How could they not be at those prices.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:02 pm Reply with quote
bacondreamer wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:
And they can all be yours, for the low low price of your right arm, your left leg, your firstborn child, and your eternal soul!! Very Happy

ShanaFan852 wrote:
Let the pricing complaints start...Rolling Eyes

Your damn right! I'll stop complaining when they grow some decent business sense and stop raping our wallets.

You should complain to the Japanese fans and see how they respond.....mind you they pay $65-80 for 2-3 episodes....

Actually, look at the Fate/Zero sets from Aniplex of America. It's acutally more expensive to buy it here than it is to import it from Japan. Of course, no subtitles but it's still funny to me that it's more expensive here.

This company needs to stop. I LOVE their products but I dont own a single one because I simply can not afford it. The retailers are sane and discount them all as much as they possibly can. Aniplex's MSRP for Fate/Zero part 1 was 500 dollars (rounded), most places sell it for about 350-400. That's still FAR too much for 12-13 episodes though. 400 dollars for 5 hours of entertainment is just plain insane. There's a joke that drugs would be cheaper than anime..and in the case of AoA, it's 100% true. I really love their shows, but at the rate they're going I'll never be able to own them. It's sad for me.
Aniplex of America only cares about making as much money from as few people as possible. Its less risk than selling low and only selling a few , because they know there's thousands of wealthy anime fans would can easily throw out this kind of money. And that's enough for them. They dont care about fans, it's all profit.

Bright_Spear wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

Which doesn't surprize me at all. How could they not be at those prices.

They wouldnt have to sell very much to make a profit, so of course it works.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru, that is a direct import of the Fate/Zero boxes from Japan. You need to compare actual AoA releases like Oreimo, DRRR, Baccano BD, PMMM, Blue Exorcist (I think?), and the upcoming Bakemonogatari sets. Those are the prices of AoA when it's not just an import with a translated booklet like F/Z or Kara no Kyoukai BD set.

Obviously if there's going to be a near-simultaneous release like there is for Fate/Zero then the prices will be very close (and perhaps even a bit more) than the Japanese.

Last edited by Megiddo on Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bright_Spear

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:07 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Can you imagine some foreign country complaining about a new video game costing 15-20 bucks?
Seeing I wait years to buy games on the cheap, I would be right there with them.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:09 pm Reply with quote
The Naked Beast wrote:
I am excited to see Sword Art Online licensed but am not excited for Aniplex of America being the licensee.

Fans can choose to buy said series or not. From the fan's perspective, it is a lose-lose situation. They do not support the show they like. Even if they end up buying in the end, it will cost them a lot.

Aniplex of America comes out the eventual winner in the end. You can wait the non-LE/SE/CE version which is discounted slightly from the first print. But of course, the possibility of that happening depends on how well the first print did in sales.

Yes, it does come to a steep cost for the fan in the end, a Pyrrhic victory even. Despite all that I have said, I cave in the end because no one else has the series. It is great to take part in a battle you can not win.

First, I appreciate your well constructed, non-angry opinion on Aniplex USA. I do not agree with you position entirely, but I appreciate your willingness to engage in a cordial conversation. My opinion on Aniplex USA is mostly unpopular in these forums, but I get offend if someone angrily attacks my position. Thank you, The Naked Beast, for your courtesy.

On your last point, I agree that anime is not a life necessity. Not everyone is able to afford it (especially at Aniplex USA pricing), but I encourage those with the means to support anime by buying home release it. Fortunately for me, I am in a great position to afford most of Aniplex USA products (the import Fate/Zero sets being the exception).

I agree that telling others to support high prices can come across as elitist, but I do not appreciate other people telling me to NOT buy from Aniplex USA. I think we are free to do what we want with our money.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 21