• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - NISA Explains It All

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dolza

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Good show! I wish them success.
Personally, I will by shows even without a dub. I almost never listen to the dubs off of a DVD anyway. I read fast enough that getting both the subtitle and the action/artwork are not a problem. (Excpet of course for Excel Saga - which was too fast even for me.)
I was debating buying Halo - but now I know to avoid it. Thanks for the heads up, guys!
kippy666

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Bring your anime over to England!

We want it over here!!!
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:05 pm Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:
But if NIS keeps with their trends with their popular titles then I wouldn't be surprised down the road they do a re-release with dubs.

Truthfully, I'd be very surprised if a dub comes out of any subtitle release.

I base this on logic rather than wishful thinking. Taking Section23/Sentai Filmworks as an example here, but let's say it costs them $50,000 to license and produce "Series X".

These are sold at $50 for a 13 episode collection, thus, 1000 needs to be sold to recoup initial expenses. Now let's say 3000 were sold, netting them $150,000 in revenue.

This puts the company at a crossroad: dub "Series X" and hope the same 3000 buy it again or bank on two new series at $50,000 each to expand the library.

I'm betting the latter choice is taken simply because there was a demand for a non-dub version to the point expectations were more than met so risk will be taken to license two more series, rather than an even riskier gamble the same 3000 will buy it again dubbed.

Alas (and on topic), I don't believe NIS has really much of a choice here but to release subtitle only. Not only are they entering a risky market to begin with, but are now competing against two companies who've established themselves in the U.S. market.

I'll be keeping an eye out for the titles, but only after significant price drops hit. I'm not against sub only series, but definitely not a fan of the $60 price point, which neither S23/SF or Nozomi are hitting for a two part set. That's going to be a huge factor working against NIS as I see it.

To throw more firewood into the raging anime distributor flames is FUNimation's forthcoming S.A.V.E. series, which will be very interesting to see how this works for those fans looking for less expensive collections.

I would certainly love to see some of these series dubbed, but if I buy them subtitled, the last thing I'll do is double-dip on the series. I just see that as a waste of my money.

But I'm all for getting more titles brought over, regardless how they're done.
Smile
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
Hopefully, $59.99 is more like a RosenQueen price that includes the bonus item and maybe some some packaging that isn't a single keep case.

Yeah, I think this as well. They made a point of saying that $59.99 was their SRP and not necessarily the price it'll sell for at retail. There'll probably also be a special RQ exclusive at $70, too bad RQ doesn't understand cheap shipping and the final price will be closer to $85...

NIS is usually really good about bonuses on their standard releases, often including soundtracks or mini art books on their most recent releases, we'll see if they can keep that up with their anime releases.

Some people have said that their release plan is naive and not welcoming to anime newcomers, but I think it's pretty obvious that newcomers aren't their target. With niche titles, short runs, and online sales-only it's pretty obvious that they're targeting the existing fans. To me this is a smart move for a new industry entry, they aren't over extending themselves in any way. I'd call them naive if they went with a dub and mass retail off the bat, but I think they're making some wise choices here and hope they're willing to revisit these titles for a dub if they do become successful.

I've been saying for a while that I'll buy Toradora no matter how it's released so I'm looking forward getting my hands on this. If they go back and dub it later I'll buy that one too, it'll be worth it. I never finished watching the other three titles so I don't feel as compelled to buy them, but I did enjoy Our Home's Fox Deity a lot (until Kadokawa said they got it so I stopped watching) so I might pick that one up as well. Persona being Persona seems like the most likely hit of the bunch, though. Be nice if they could include the "Persona Music Live" CD since it includes Trinity Soul tracks.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
Labbes wrote:
Well, several Sentai titles had a retail price of 59,99 as well, and the Nozomi titles are 49,99 which, to be honest, is not a big difference to me.

However, with Nozomi, you get a really nice presentation - nice, solid box; on-disc extras; physical extras.

Hopefully, $59.99 is more like a RosenQueen price that includes the bonus item and maybe some some packaging that isn't a single keep case.

Plus, Sentai has only had two titles in that price range, not "several". One of those was Glass Mask, which was an entire 26 episode season. When you look at it that way, it was actually less than buying two $39.99 half seasons. Though Ghost Hound was only 13 episodes, but I imagine that was due to limited appeal of the title and a relatively expensive license.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:19 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
I think I'm going to have to agree that NISA sounds a little naive about fan, shall we say, "enthusiasm." I'm a bit of an NISA game fanboy, and I bought a PS3 for the sole purpose of playing Disgaea 3, so I'll be excited to be able to support their anime venture as soon as they license something that I'm interested in.

Also, is the episode title a reference to this? I used to watch that show back in the day...

Wow I and I thought I'd be the only one who would get that reference. Very interesting show that was, I wonder what ever became of the cast of that show?

Anyway, since Toradora has no English audio, I won't purchase the series like I initially thought would. I understand the price of an English audio track, but Toradora is such a great series, I still belive that the series deserves an English audio track.

But at least Sentai or Bandai didn't acquire this series. Bandai would have ultimately done something wrong and I just don't like Sentai films at all.

Maybe in the distant future Toradora will actually have an English audio, but somehow I seriously doubt that. Good luck NISA, for the company's sake, I hope this was a good move.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm very excited to hear all this, and I'll definitely pick up Pandora Hearts (and probably Toradora). I don't mind sub-only, sure anime with a great dub is awesome, but anime with a great sub is awesome as well.

I'm curious as well to what the LE items will be. T-shirts I'll pass on for shows like these, but wallscrolls/posters or even decent-looking figures would be nice. Maybe even OSTs, but something tells me we've seen the last of those in the R1 market. Sad

If they could dub ONE title, I'd love for them to get When They Cry Season 2 (since they've worked with Bang Zoom, and WTC Season 1 was dubbed by BZ). Since if FUNi gets it (you know, if they ever feel like licensing second seasons in the next decade Sad ), they'd either have to work to get all the dub actors (but it might not be that hard, not sure), or use a whole new dub cast (which would stink, I liked most of the dub voices for that one).

Anyway, I think they've got a potentially good game plan, especially by avoiding retailers since online sites are more desirable with larger markdowns from the MSRP. Hopefully they'll have a large enough stock though that I won't miss out on a series just by waiting a few weeks though. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
License-rescue the Disgaea anime? What for? It was awful.

Cross-marketing. Even if it doesn't make much money itself, it is likely to increase sales of Disgaea games.
bleuster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:03 pm Reply with quote
NISA is far from being "naive" when it comes to fan backlash.
While they are one of my favorite people in the gaming world, they did botch a few games that dedicated fans were looking forward to. I actually found it funny that people showed Zac the text flubs as they are actually very good at that. For games, they have a bit of a reputation for not exactly having the most top-notch QA for finding glitches and bugs.

That is, for games. Anime I believe they will do solid work in anime as there are no bugs to spend hundreds of hours looking for in shows.

Don't blame NISA for not wanting to risk adding English dub voices, though.
A while back, fans came out of the woodworks and vocally asked for Japanese dubs when they first announced that one of their games was originally planed to be dub only.

http://www.siliconera.com/2009/05/30/phantom-brave-we-meet-again-delayed-to-add-japanese-voices/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:33 pm Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
Fronzel wrote:
License-rescue the Disgaea anime? What for? It was awful.

Cross-marketing. Even if it doesn't make much money itself, it is likely to increase sales of Disgaea games.

At this point, maybe Disgaea 3 could benefit from that, and it would be very little. Any interest that the anime drums up would likely be for the first Disgaea game, the one whose characters are in the anime. And by now any sales of Disgaea 1 would be secondary market sales, which don't net anything for NIS.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Meh, Wolfman was a snore. You aren't missing anything. It's just typical gore horror. Ruined the classic movie monster image.

I saw Halo Legends with a friend a couple of days ago. The short you were talking about was actually hilarious: "Odd One Out". It was like a sloppy joke of DBZ. It was intended to be silly, guys. I kind of agree about the third short. It was kind of hard to focus on since the visuals were like looking through a shower door.
Haterater

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:43 pm Reply with quote
bleuster wrote:

Don't blame NISA for not wanting to risk adding English dub voices, though.
A while back, fans came out of the woodworks and vocally asked for Japanese dubs when they first announced that one of their games was originally planed to be dub only.

http://www.siliconera.com/2009/05/30/phantom-brave-we-meet-again-delayed-to-add-japanese-voices/

I find that more as since the PS2 version had both voice tracks and not the Wii version, which was the real main issue as the Wii should handle that. If it was a PSP or DS port, people will be more understanding.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:45 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
It was intended to be silly, guys.

Yeah and it was really lame.

"Intended to be silly" does not equal "funny"
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:02 am Reply with quote
zetsuie wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
I truly can not stand Halo. It's a solid FPS with quite well done online play but the story is generic, pretentious, awful stuff. I really don't know why so many feel they need to tell a story. I mean, if you're really going to commit to it and integrate it properly into the game (ie. Mass Effect) then great. If not though, then you're better just going the Gears of War 1 route: Grubs bad! Marcus crush grub! Shoot Shoot, Stomp. Grunt/Cuss. Repeat.
The first halo game had a good story cause you went from aliens to zombies to alien zombies. I mean come on alien zombies wtftastic. second and third are terrible cause they realized the mainstream crowd with an iq of 84 were buying the game more than anyone else, so figured out how to copy crappy summer blockbuster movies. >_>
Exactly. The first Halo was refined over a long period of time before it came out' two and three were mainstream garbage.

Oh, and I got your money NIS. Keep offering the original Japanese track on your games like you always have, and I will always support you.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:03 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
belvadeer wrote:
It was intended to be silly, guys.

Yeah and it was really lame.

"Intended to be silly" does not equal "funny"

Unless of course its Gintama. Just joking, in all seriousness, Zac does have a point. Intending to be funny can be taken anyway, good and bad. But that doesn't mean that will automatically equal funny.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5