• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Use Eden of the East's Original Opening Song

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:07 am Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
Mr Adventure wrote:

(People who would boycott the release over THE OP SONG are weird and petty.)

Put yourself in their shoes. I am a huge Duran Duran fan and not getting Girls on Film for the R1 release of Speed Grapher was a huge upset (but completely understandable) Even worse was not getting 7 o'clock News for the first season of Kodocha... For me that song has soooo many memories attached to it Sad Bought every volume of both shows on day one regardless, but still, it can mean just that much to someone.

But the song doesn't affect the show. That guy will still run around naked if Oasis isn't the theme song.

I came up with a nice analogy earlier for this type of situation:
Lets say you have a bag reasons to either buy or not buy a show and the ratio is different for each show. In EotE's bag, there are a 1000 reasons- 999 for and 1 against. Most people will pick out the first couple reasons and decide to buy the show because the positive outweigh the negative. Other people, people who would boycott this release without Oasis, are the type of people who would keep searching through the bag and toss out all the reasons to buy the show just so they can find that one reason not to and throw it in Funimation's face. Those people are, as Mr Adventure put it, weird and petty; no two ways about it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Seraphim_Alchemist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:28 am Reply with quote
What's the difference between the movies and the series? Are they recap stuff or actual continuations? I haven't seen anything from this series but I am really curious for it. By the looks of it, It'll be a definite blind purchase for me Smile
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:42 am Reply with quote
Very cool news. I'm not one of those "I ain't gonna buy it unless the OP is the same as the broadcast version" types, but this is a very nice bonus. Nice one, Funi!
fuzaco

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:48 am Reply with quote
Seraphim_Alchemist wrote:
What's the difference between the movies and the series? Are they recap stuff or actual continuations? I haven't seen anything from this series but I am really curious for it. By the looks of it, It'll be a definite blind purchase for me Smile

They are continuations. The series ended with a cliffhanger, and the movies are supposed to end the story.
Henry Jones

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:28 am Reply with quote
Awesome awesome. I was an alt. rock kid from the 90s, and Oasis was my favorite band in my teenage years (I know I know, the Beatles were better, but it's hard to dislodge music attached to your life). Seriously, the Oasis OP was the only reason I had any interest in it, and I found a very good series to boot. I wouldn't have boycotted the release because that's just stupid, but it still would've been disappointing.

Too bad that after renewed interest in the band with things like this and actually having the first decent album in awhile, they broke up. Oh well, it had to happen eventually. It was either this or Liam and Noel killed each other, I suppose.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:15 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

But the song doesn't affect the show. That guy will still run around naked if Oasis isn't the theme song.

Falls in the same category as FUNi editing title cards or changing ending credits to read English only. Small changes you think wouldn't effect the show for anyone, but for me it does. I enjoy reading the episodes titles in Japanese (sometimes jokes or puns are missed out on or lost in translation) or reading the cast in Japanese (I can recognize a lot the seiyuu just by their kanji) Call me a purist, petty, wapanese, weaboo, or whatever, but thats how I've enjoyed my anime for years (since the days of $30 fansubbed tapes) and thats how I intend to do it. Theme songs mean just as much.
ChocoBar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:59 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:

Falls in the same category as FUNi editing title cards or changing ending credits to read English only. Small changes you think wouldn't effect the show for anyone, but for me it does. I enjoy reading the episodes titles in Japanese (sometimes jokes or puns are missed out on or lost in translation) or reading the cast in Japanese (I can recognize a lot the seiyuu just by their kanji) Call me a purist, petty, wapanese, weaboo, or whatever, but thats how I've enjoyed my anime for years (since the days of $30 fansubbed tapes) and thats how I intend to do it. Theme songs mean just as much.

Then go buy the r2 releases instead with no subs or menu translations if you're so smart Rolling Eyes
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:09 pm Reply with quote
My days of R2 DVDs are over, but I do buy Japanese BDs.
joystick1101

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:22 pm Reply with quote
I think I found this "international" version on youtube, its meh...
neocloud9

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Oh, this is great news! I just loved that opening. Smile
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:10 pm Reply with quote
I'll admit I was one of those people who hysterically said she wouldn't buy this series without the opening. That was... an overreaction. I really love this opening, and it's matched so perfectly well to the music that substituting another song would have been difficult and it would have probably lost a lot. But just one day before this was announced I was thinking to myself, "You know, I love the series, I'll just figure out how to synch up the original music when I play it! Funi prolly won't be able to afford it, bc musicians can be jerks."

So this was announcement was a big surprise to me, and actually makes me feel that I now owe it to Funimation to buy this series. Even without the movies, it reaches a pretty awesome turning point that almost works as a climax, so why not? Eden of the East goes in my cart! Funi, you deserve it for going the extra mile for us.
hakojo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I'd already planned to buy this at some point because Kenji Kamiyama gets my money, period, but now I extra want it because Funi deserves the sale after doing this for us. Glad to see that so many other people realize this too Anime smile
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:17 pm Reply with quote
As much as I like the song, I can't stand the giant Ego that is Gallagher. Can't wait for this bluray.
leftbehindxp

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:08 pm Reply with quote
hakojo wrote:
I'd already planned to buy this at some point because Kenji Kamiyama gets my money, period...

I'm the same boat, Kenji Kamiyama gets my money with anything his name is on!

Glad that they got the song. I was gonna buy it regardless, but this makes the release better. Wish they had a release date for it, or even a trailer for the series :/
Crystalyn
ANN Managing Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Siegel Clyne wrote:

Can anyone from FUNimation explain Minna's insert song replacement in Episode 8 of Strike Witches?

Adam Sheehan from Funimation explained this during the FuniCon 3.0 online panel last week. Although I can't remember all the specific details, the song is an old German song and they tried very hard but just couldn't get the rights to use it. Unfortunately, the panel was not recorded (accidentally), so the full explanation isn't going to be up on YouTube like Funimation's other FuniCon panels. But that's the general gist of it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5