• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bootleggers Boot Legitimate Products from China

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ac_dropout

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
One has to remember that in the fundamental Marxist/Leninist doctrine no one has the right to own anything as everything is for the community at no cost. Chairman Mao took this on board as one of his highest rules which though nowadays is slowly being ignored, it's still an old habit that the Chinese Government will have to break themselves from if they want to become an economic power, and not just another Port Royale.

Marx and Lenisist were usurp by Deng Xiao Ping with his "It's glorious to be rich" dogma and open market policies.

China hasn't been had much USSR influence since they had a boarder with with each other that lasted into the 80's.

Whatever the case maybe IP is a Western advent which will take time to catch on in Asia. Even the Japanese have a very loose interpretation of IP when they started their economic rise.

Lupin vs. Rupin for instance, stole that stuff straight from the French.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:39 pm Reply with quote
ac_dropout wrote:
China hasn't been had much USSR influence since they had a boarder with with each other that lasted into the 80's.

Umm, China and Russia still have a common border on the east side of Mongolia (And a tiny common border east of Kazakhstan and west of Mongolia).

-t
ac_dropout

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:47 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
ac_dropout wrote:

Umm, China and Russia still have a common border on the east side of Mongolia (And a tiny common border east of Kazakhstan and west of Mongolia).

-t

My bad, it was suppose to read "...since they had a boarder war with each other that lasted into the 80's"
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:14 am Reply with quote
ac_dropout wrote:
We take it for granted that IP is a given in the US. However, prior to the IP business model, USA "borrowed/stole" a lot of IP through immigrants that transfer technologies and ideas when they settled here.

A case in point in China's favor would be how much royalty should be collected for the IP of the magnetic compass, gun powder, and ketchup?

Possibly the worst argument I have ever heard. The first two exmples are things that have been around for hundreds of years, and no one can patent a flavor. Rolling Eyes Intellectual property, as you off-handedly refer to as IP, is owned by individuals not nations, even in a quasi-communist country like China.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:05 am Reply with quote
ShellBullet wrote:
ac_dropout wrote:
We take it for granted that IP is a given in the US. However, prior to the IP business model, USA "borrowed/stole" a lot of IP through immigrants that transfer technologies and ideas when they settled here.

A case in point in China's favor would be how much royalty should be collected for the IP of the magnetic compass, gun powder, and ketchup?

Possibly the worst argument I have ever heard. The first two exmples are things that have been around for hundreds of years, and no one can patent a flavor. Rolling Eyes Intellectual property, as you off-handedly refer to as IP, is owned by individuals not nations, even in a quasi-communist country like China.

I dunno, truth is stranger than fiction. I don't know if this is still the case, but as of 10 years ago or so, N.Y. house of bagels trademarked the word "bagel" in the country of Hungary, putting them in a position to be the only corporation that could then sell bagels thorought the country. They did have some tasty bagel sandwiches in Budapest though. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ac_dropout

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:07 am Reply with quote
ShellBullet wrote:
ac_dropout wrote:

I would have to disagree, IP are owned by entities and recognized by various States on the planet. A government sponsored entity can have IP which are enforced by the State.

In fact States can also have IP disagreement. Case in point PRC threatened various phamecutical companies at one time to reduce the cost HIV treatment drug sold to the PRC, since PRC citizens did not have the wealth to purchase these life extending drugs, or they would revoke their patents in the PRC and award them to local drug companies.

My point is the IP did not exist in those time, because it is a modern construct (like income tax and gay marriage). So the transfer of technology like the manufacture of Ketchup, gunpowder, China porcelian and compass occured on a regular basis.

In fact the USA industrial revolution is mostly due to IP "theft" cause of the relocation of workers who might have transfer technology when they immigrated.

In other words, IP is not as universal as some people believe it to be.

I'll even site a USA example of how IP worked against the transfer of anime to the USA. "Case Close" was we know it today was renamed from "Detective Conan" because of IP issues with Universal Studio which owns the IP to "Conan the Barbarian" in all formats (printed, broadcast, film, merchandise, etc.) . IP lawyers at Funimation probably feared a massive and prolong objection to their recently aquired property by Universal against their property, thus renaming the series and the main characters to avoid any possible legal battles.

So is IP a good or bad thing for the anime community? When there are larger companies that can protect their interest more effectively than anime companies.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4