• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kekkaishi Premieres on U.S.'s Adult Swim Tonight

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
musouka

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Dune wrote:
Can the same be said for Kekkaishi?

I think all the people that claim Kekkaishi doesn't have a strong beginning are overstating the case. Tokine and Yoshimori have a great, nuanced relationship that easily carries the show until it gets more complex. Tokine especially is a wonderful female lead. Her past in regards to spoiler[her father] is interesting and does well in explaining why she's become the sort of person she is today.

Yes, the series does get BETTER, but it was never bad to begin with. I don't know why people are complaining, but Kekkaishi is one of the rare shounen series I actually make an effort to collect and read, and a lot of that is the careful build up that, yes, includes the opening episodes to set up the characters and world in general.
Westlo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:23 am Reply with quote
Dune wrote:
Even the scenes in the Shire are unique and interesting enough by themselves to catch one's interest and hook audiences into following the rest of the story.

No, the shire was boring as shit in the movies (oh no gandolph watch out for your he DOHL!! lol!!) and in the novels. Worst part of the LOTOR novels and Hobbit, the appendix was far more interesting that the shire parts.

Every shounen series starts out slow until it hits an arc that gets it moving. From Dragonball to Naruto to One Piece to Bleach to Rurouni Kenshin it has always been the case and Kekkaishi is no exception.

I find the start of Kekkaishi a lot more tolerable than something like.. say D.Gray Man or Pysren (no anime.. yet) and it's pretty good and introducing the characters and their dynamics before it shakes things up. But if people are expecting Gurren Lagann episode 23 in the first episode than just lol.

I think Kekkaishi is the best in it's genre since One Piece and the other title I rate highly in the genre in "Nurarihyon no Mago" which starts airing in 4 weeks is probably going to get the same reaction. "Oh the start is boring, waah i've got ADD".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4