• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Wandering Son (TV) aka Horou Musuko.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:38 pm Reply with quote
One thing I want to point out about the anime in comparing it with the manga, even though they condensed it by starting with the story from volume 5 on, they really focus on the gender identity aspect as the central theme in the anime. We have side-story aspects such as the Chiba-Shu-Yoshino love triangle, Maho's modeling gig, and issues with Chi and Momoko. But in the manga those were always more front and center with the transgender-coping of Shu and Yoshino as more of a side-story. In the anime it completely dominates the story and every scene focuses completely on Shu and Yoshino or something related to their gender concerns. Maybe that's why the animators started with the story at this point because viewers may not have accepted a show about transgenderism if the characters were younger. Here at least we have youths entering the prime of puberty and can reflect on more of the adult types of complications, like dating, romance and concerns about ones own body.
Nokcha

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm not really sure if I like the anime as much as I love the manga of Wandering Son. I mean, they should have used pretty much the exact same designs and artwork as they did in the manga for the anime.

I really like how the anime starts off in the junior high because that's where it gets really interesting.

I wonder if the story will deviate a bit from the one in the manga.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:17 am Reply with quote
Watched episode 5, it was pretty eventful. Lots more character development and building of drama. I especially love Chi's reaction when Chiba's church buddy spoiler[spilled the beans about Shuu's crossdressing. She was like - Oh. Em. Gee! that is soooo awesome! - totally fascinated by this fact a little too enthusiastically.]

We see even more so that Chiba is a very dark person. She was like that in the manga too. She's kind of a depressing person but I also think she's one of the most interesting characters in the show. This is starting to look like a deviation from the manga because aren't spoiler[Mako and Chiba getting quite close as well?]
tarheel91

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Watched episode 5, it was pretty eventful. Lots more character development and building of drama. I especially love Chi's reaction when Chiba's church buddy spoiler[spilled the beans about Shuu's crossdressing. She was like - Oh. Em. Gee! that is soooo awesome! - totally fascinated by this fact a little too enthusiastically.]

We see even more so that Chiba is a very dark person. She was like that in the manga too. She's kind of a depressing person but I also think she's one of the most interesting characters in the show. This is starting to look like a deviation from the manga because aren't spoiler[Mako and Chiba getting quite close as well?]

I think Chiba isn't so much dark as she is depressed. She's smart, probably the smartest of the entire show. spoiler[She already recognizes everything between Takatsuki and Shu, even stuff they haven't fully come to realize yet. She knows Takatsuki is perfect for Shu and that something more serious happening between them is inevitable. Despite this, she still likes Shu. The reason she wants to be Romeo is only half so that she can pretend to be Shu's lover. She also identifies with Romeo in that they are both star-crossed individuals fated to remain close to the one they love, but at that same time always out of reach. The balcony scene instantly springs to mind in that Romeo is only a few feet away from Juliet, but figuratively--through the image of a balcony--and literally she is out of reach. Her dream is to climb that balcony as Romeo does, but she knows that there can be no favorable ending should she try to go down that path.] Of course, that's all my opinion based on what I've observed. I could be totally off.
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:20 pm Reply with quote
I just tried to start Yuu Watase's Arata manga. I ditched it because it looked like bullying was going to ruin the story. Now I'm fearful about where HM will head because this situation just screams for a bully to interfere, screw up everything, and make me angry. I'm really hoping that the writers won't use such a clichéd and irritating plot device.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:45 am Reply with quote
I love this series more and more with each episode.

And episode five brought new traits in some of the characters. I especially appreciated Mako, who previously seemed more a background character, the main-character-best-friend type, to actually contribute to the plot. This little scene when he tells Nitori that he actually spoiler[really wants to play Juliet despite not having what it takes to pull off the role as well as Nitori would] made me think how the gender issue really was in the focus of the show and made me forget about all the others characters' problems that are not related to it.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Finally I caught up on episodes 6 and 7.

The festival episode was quite a good one,, and then 7...
Quite a big surprise, with Nitori spoiler[asking out Anna to be his girlfriend]. I quite wonder that will come out of it. Seems like he still is quite decided to contibure with cross dressing, but on the other hand, it's not like he would like spoiler[Anna] to know about it. Does it mean that he is hesitating, somehow about his identity? Anyhow, it will be interesting to see the rest.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Unicorn_Blade wrote:
Finally I caught up on episodes 6 and 7.

The festival episode was quite a good one,, and then 7...
Quite a big surprise, with Nitori spoiler[asking out Anna to be his girlfriend]. I quite wonder that will come out of it. Seems like he still is quite decided to contibure with cross dressing, but on the other hand, it's not like he would like spoiler[Anna] to know about it. Does it mean that he is hesitating, somehow about his identity? Anyhow, it will be interesting to see the rest.
I absolutely LOVED episode 7. Best episode of the show yet. So much emotion and comedy that really built heavily on the story that I remember from the manga. So with his spoiler[attraction to Anna ]we see a bit different side to Nitori in that he is quite the romantic and adept at winning a girl's heart. From Nitori's side of things, I don't think it complicates the fact that he wishes to be a girl and crossdresses. In terms of the future Nitori as he sees himself becoming, Nitori is probably a spoiler[lesbian]. Being a girl, as we know, doesn't necessarily exclude one from being attracted to girls.

From Anna's side of things, being that she's aware that Nitori crossdresses (but I'm unsure whether his gender condition has dawned on her), that's where it's kinda complicated.

Last edited by P€|\||§_|\/|ast@ on Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Best episode of the show yet. So much emotion and comedy that really built heavily on the story that I remember from the manga. So with his spoiler[attraction to Anna ]we see a bit different side to Nitori in that he is quite the romantic and adept at winning a girl's heart. From Nitori's side of things, I don't think it complicates the fact that he wishes to be a girl and crossdresses. In terms of the future Nitori as he sees, himself becoming, Nitori is a spoiler[lesbian]. Being a girl as we know doesn't necessarily exclude one from being attracted to them.

From Anna's side of things, being that she's aware that Nitori crossdresses (but I'm unsure whether his gender condition has dawned on her), that's where it's kinda complicated.

Well, technically that makes Nitori a spoiler[bisexual, since he was recently still attracted to Takatsuki,] if we consider that he is attracted to her boyish side.
I remembered now that Anna knew about the crossdressing thing, and it makes me wonder whether she is attracted to Nitori because she likes, well, things and people that are a bit different, and that her affection to him is just another manifestation of her general, quite rebelious attitude. in other words, whether it was the crossdressing that made her like him in first place.

It was interesting to see Takatsuki's reaction to the revelation as well. She remained cool, but it seems she is a bit jealous. I had an impression she felt betrayed by Nitori, and already the relationship started suffering...
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Unicorn_Blade wrote:
It was interesting to see Takatsuki's reaction to the revelation as well. She remained cool, but it seems she is a bit jealous. I had an impression she felt betrayed by Nitori, and already the relationship started suffering...
It's seems to tie into that romance cliche where two people get along so well at platonic friendship type things that they avoid each other on a romantic level because they don't want to disrupt that friendship, but in reality they truly do love each other on a level that transcends typical romance.

I found it intersting how Takatsuki suggested they stop going out on their "dates." Probably because she was conscious of doing something that she felt is causing Nitori to betray his feelings spoiler[towards Anna], and she wanted him to be happy by being with the one he loves. Also not feeling like she's getting in the way of that.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:41 pm Reply with quote
The moment I thought the boy was cute I imagined Onizuka and Kintaro's reaction. Laughing
Oh, ah. Saori and that model are so cute. Saori in particular has one heck of an amusing personality. In real life I'd probably fall for her instantly, assuming she's older than in the TV series.
For me it's sort of a drawback when it's too focused on the protagonist and Yoshino, but as long as it's not.

Quote:
It's seems to tie into that romance cliche where two people get along so well at platonic friendship type things that they avoid each other on a romantic level because they don't want to disrupt that friendship, but in reality they truly do love each other on a level that transcends typical romance.

Which is why this series would never get a 10/10 from me because it's so obvious all along. This is a cliche I really dislike, because the vast majority of anime that offers it have the most boring character as the obvious future partner. Another reason why I generally dislike anything with too much romance.

Surprise me, Wandering Son.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:00 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:

Quote:

Which is why this series would never get a 10/10 from me because it's so obvious all along. This is a cliche I really dislike, because the vast majority of anime that offers it have the most boring character as the obvious future partner. Another reason why I generally dislike anything with too much romance.

Surprise me, Wandering Son.

I actually see it quite differently. I think Yoshino is more mature and the reason why she decided not getting romantically involved with Nitori is not because she did not want to ruon their friendship, but because she, well, knew what she wanted and she wanted to protect Nitorin who does not know what he wants. Nitori seems very undecisive about things- he obviously is not sure whether he wants to be a girl liking boys or a girl liking girls or perhaps a boy liking girls...

Also, after the latest episode, it seems that Anna is really interested spoiler[in Nitori because she has a tendency to like things that are a bit different].
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:58 am Reply with quote
Hm, I wonder why interest in this one dropped so drastically?

Anyways, since the series is now well finished, I must say I really enjoyed the whole 11 episodes, and the last episode tied up everything very nicely, and the characters seem ready to start a new chapter, even Saori seemed to want to move on. Quite a satisfying ending, although I'd like to see what would hapen next... in 10 years lets say.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:16 am Reply with quote
I'm waiting out on the video release of the series to see the later three episodes since the second-to-last TV episode was essentially a compilation episode of two episodes from the series. Otherwise, I was liking what I seen out of the series with the believable focus on ones conflict with gender identity. It was a first for me to see a title seriously tackle the subject as transgenders are normally used as comedic relief characters in more conventional titles. Here, the series featured children coming of age dealing with the issue personally as they dealt with puberty, peer pressure and the perception of others over how they went against conventional thoughts regarding gender identity, especially in the case of Nitori's character. I'd be hard pressed to say this is one of the best titles I've seen for the year thus far despite yet going through the series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:17 am Reply with quote
I complained elsewhere that I had a bit of a problem with how very very mature these kids are but I guess there's a good reason for it. The writer obviously wanted to focus on the issues of gender identity and downplay sexual identity- and there is a difference. If they were teens I think the story would end up having to be more sensational and about sexual desire. I don't know how far the manga goes but If it progresses much further in time I assume it would become more of a focus as they do get older. By using tweenagers the viewers doesn't have to focus strongly on the sexual aspect because the subjects are barely aware of it all themselves. So, the kids are a bit more mature and rational than you'd expect but serves a purpose to have them so young.

I too was annoyed with the 10/11 merger, I watched it and I guess it was done well but things were obviously lost like Anna's part of the story there so when she shows up in the final episode you're left wondering exactly what she and Nitorin are talking about.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5