• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Dream Eater Merry Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:36 am Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
Sparvid wrote:
Quote:
Action fantasy about boy who can predict others' dreams, & girl from world of dreams

And bare midriffs. Don't forget about those.

And well detailed bare midriffs at that.

But no six packs -_-
karvelot

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:01 pm Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
i hope they dub it, I'm sick of these guys getting shows i like and doing sub only releases.

I hope so. I'm so used to having both English and Japanese dubs with my shows that I feel ripped off paying 40+ dollars for a show that is only in Japanese. Thus, why I rarely buy anything from Sentai.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:54 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
And before the sub/dub debate goes any further, and before more people right this off because of the potential lack of a dub, how about we wait to find out what they are going to do with it?

That's exactly what I was trying to tell them.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:57 pm Reply with quote
karvelot wrote:
everydaygamer wrote:
i hope they dub it, I'm sick of these guys getting shows i like and doing sub only releases.

I hope so. I'm so used to having both English and Japanese dubs with my shows that I feel ripped off paying 40+ dollars for a show that is only in Japanese. Thus, why I rarely buy anything from Sentai.
I hope they sub it. No sub, no buy (though, as in the original Gundam at Crunchy, I'll sometimes be willing to stream something that is only a dub).
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
everydaygamer wrote:

Seriously same here. I mean it's fine that they didn't Gintama (the manga is good enough.) but I really had wished they would at least considered to dub season two of Your Under Arrest. I mean if they are dubbing a series based off a video game, then surely they could have taken a chance with this YUA.

But oh well, I'm going to pass on this one. Much like most of Sental releases.

Please oh please just shut the hell up.

You dub only whiners will find just any excuse to complain about any Sentai license annoucement even one of a title still on the air in Japan and still new.

You know what this proves? It proves your a biased anti-Sentai Funimation fanboy. So do yourself favor and just SHUT UP. Your only digging yourself into a deep hole and showing you have no diginity and a personal vendetta against Section23.

You truely are pathetic. Don't make excuses about it not being dubbed. You already said you won't be buying it and immediately assumes it won't be dubbed. When you have nothing to back up your judgement no justification at all.
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
Redlinks wrote:
My mother tongue is English, therefore it would be nice to have the option to watch it in my own language. Is that so much to ask? Also, some of us have dyslexia and it gets to be pretty eye straining at times to read the subs.

Funny you should mention. My mother tongue is also English, yet I have no problem reading subs. Again, having English dub is a luxury considering Anime are cartoons imported from another country, who's native language is Japanese. As Megiddo stated, not all anime shows are going to get dubbed. Be thankful that a number of them do get dubbed as, if they wanted, they can choose to eliminate English dubs releases completely.

I'm just thankful to be able to have anime be brought over for R1 release.

A friend of mine put this situation into words I use to this day - "If i'm going to pay 30 bucks for a sub-only release, then I understand why people turn to fansubs." If i'm going to pay the same price Funimation asks for, then I should at least get the choice of dub and sub. Who cares about all that "native language" crap? I doubt even 2% of the people here on ANN are even studying japanese, let alone speaking it fluently because of reading subtitles. There's only been two times that i've been annoyed enough to switch from dub to sub (Kanon and Ichigo Mashimaro) but other than that, especially with Sentai, i've enjoyed dubs. Clannad? Canaan? Blue Drop? Ghost Hound? All great dubs. Sentai is on a roll. I just want to see this streak go 5-0.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:20 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
It proves your a biased anti-Sentai Funimation fanboy.

Just want to say that if you read this fast, it looks like you called him an anti-Semite. That is all.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:09 pm Reply with quote
SonicRenegade84 wrote:
Clannad? Canaan? Blue Drop? Ghost Hound? All great dubs. Sentai is on a roll. I just want to see this streak go 5-0.

And except for Canaan, all of those releases were initially sub-only.

Which just goes to show that if a show is profitable enough with a sub-only release then it'll get a dub. However, not all sub-only shows are. I doubt Taisho Baseball Girls will ever get a dub for instance, but I'm super happy with my sub-only copy. With Merry, it doesn't seem like a real popular show with this season.
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
SonicRenegade84 wrote:
Clannad? Canaan? Blue Drop? Ghost Hound? All great dubs. Sentai is on a roll. I just want to see this streak go 5-0.

Which just goes to show that if a show is profitable enough with a sub-only release then it'll get a dub. However, not all sub-only shows are. I doubt Taisho Baseball Girls will ever get a dub for instance, but I'm super happy with my sub-only copy. With Merry, it doesn't seem like a real popular show with this season.

Yeah, gotta agree with you there. Though there are some shows that Sentai licensed that I would've loved to see how the dub would've gone (11eyes, Kampfer). Though I can see where Sentai is only dubbing shows that are popular, if I didn't think they were. (Really, I did not think for a minute Blue Drop and Ghost Hound was popular).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:54 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
And before the sub/dub debate goes any further, and before more people right this off because of the potential lack of a dub, how about we wait to find out what they are going to do with it?

Nobody here likes to wait. Didn't ya hear what's happening with Garden of Sinners? Laughing
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:29 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
This show just recently started right? So I guess this means they'll simulcast the rest on TAN?

Hopefully, though so far I haven't been watching them (Highschool of the Dead, Samurai Girls iirc) since they're showing the censored eps. Kind of defeats the purpose of paying for a premium service and not seeing everything. Hopefully after it's released here they'll re-air it.

Though I don't think Merry has anything to censor, so it should be ok on that front. I definately love the (virtual) simulcast on my TV, but I don't want to watch censored TV. Too bad the discs aren't for sale yet, the current rightstuf sale makes it a great time to pre-order.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:48 pm Reply with quote
SonicRenegade84 wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
SonicRenegade84 wrote:

Yeah, gotta agree with you there. Though there are some shows that Sentai licensed that I would've loved to see how the dub would've gone (11eyes, Kampfer). Though I can see where Sentai is only dubbing shows that are popular, if I didn't think they were. (Really, I did not think for a minute Blue Drop and Ghost Hound was popular).

Well not only are the factoring in the popularity and sales potential of the show but also whether the show will be distributed in another English language country. If Manga in the UK or Siren in Australia pick up a show, they have to pay to use the dub produced for it. Some of the money will go to the Japanese rights holders, but Sentai will also get some of it. In some cases, the other company may even help pay for the production itself (or at least that's rumor.)

For instance, Siren released Ghost Hound, Clannad and Canaan in Australia. Manga UK will be releasing High School of The Dead in the UK.

Like you, there are many shows that I think Sentai could have produced a great dub for, like Hidamari Sketch, Princess Resurrection, Maria-Holic, and others, but due to the limited appeal I can understand why they are released sub-only. Funimation and Viz so rarely license any shows I would even consider buying that I'm just glad to have more game in town that is actually licensing good shows (ones I enjoy anyway.) I will gladly take some shows sub-only as opposed to never being able to own them, with paying expensive import prices.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
doubleO7 wrote:
This show just recently started right? So I guess this means they'll simulcast the rest on TAN?

Hopefully, though so far I haven't been watching them (Highschool of the Dead, Samurai Girls iirc) since they're showing the censored eps. Kind of defeats the purpose of paying for a premium service and not seeing everything. Hopefully after it's released here they'll re-air it.

Though I don't think Merry has anything to censor, so it should be ok on that front. I definately love the (virtual) simulcast on my TV, but I don't want to watch censored TV. Too bad the discs aren't for sale yet, the current rightstuf sale makes it a great time to pre-order.

Unfortunately, Anime Network is usually only given the TV version for their stream. The uncensored version generally takes longer to get the masters for. If the show gets dubbed, it will likely be re-aired on VOD. It's hard to say if that will be the case if they are not dubbed.

Also, their latest simulcast "Infinite Stratos" is free and has been mostly uncensored so far, at least to my knowledge. If this is a TV cut, then it's not as intrusive as in HOTD.
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:29 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:

Like you, there are many shows that I think Sentai could have produced a great dub for, like Hidamari Sketch, Princess Resurrection, Maria-Holic, and others, but due to the limited appeal I can understand why they are released sub-only. Funimation and Viz so rarely license any shows I would even consider buying that I'm just glad to have more game in town that is actually licensing good shows (ones I enjoy anyway.) I will gladly take some shows sub-only as opposed to never being able to own them, with paying expensive import prices.

But that's because VIZ licenses anything either Shonen Jump or anything that's popular but wasn't picked up (Vampire Knight). Like I said, I'll pick up shows that are brought to the US, but it just feels good to have a choice, you know? I won't throw a fit and protest because there's not a dub though.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
SonicRenegade84 wrote:

Taisho will likely never get a dub because its a baseball anime and baseball titles rarely sell well enough to warrant a dub. Don't get me wrong, I loooooove Taisho Baseball Girls. But the sad thing is that not alotof people like baseball anime. Which is sad because "Big Windup" is such a feel good male bonding show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5