• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Blue Exorcist (TV + movie).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Rin is a very refreshing shonen hero. Unlike your standard hot headed fella, he's more of a mix between Luffy and Ueki as far as his temperament is concerned.

Anyway, despite my experience with last week's episode (which was bad given my mood back then), this show is still up there with my favorites, and I'm completely enjoying this as a fan of shonen and demons anime.

Oh yeah, the bit before the opening was absolutely hilarious.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Just watched episode 5.

I'm finding this show very enjoyable. While a lot of it is familiar shounen stuff, the characters are likable, and the show puts its own spin on things. For example, in this episode we had the standard set up spoiler[where the teacher leaves the class alone, but tells them not to do (insert dangerous action) while he is gone. Of course, we all know they're going to ignore him. But for some reason the teacher doesn't seem to predict this, despite the fact that two of his students are bickering hotheads, and one of them has already done a stupid and potentially dangerous thing in class.]

spoiler[But then, surprise surprise, Rin doesn't accept Suguro's challenge. Rin says he's not an idiot and he's not going to risk his life over something so petty. And he's a shounen protaganist? It was nice to see that despite being childish on the outside (and inside in some ways), Rin actually is a lot more mature than he appears. Of course Suguro on the other hand...]

spoiler[And I also liked how at the end of the episode we see that the class was still being watched by another teacher, meaning it wasn't left entirely alone (though I don't think that one teacher was aware of that). Regardless, if things did get out of hand (which they almost did), he was ready to step in.]

Anyways, I was very pleased with the way the show handled the seemingly typical situation.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Anyways, I was very pleased with the way the show handled the seemingly typical situation.

Even so, I am quickly getting tired of Rin's hot-headed approach to absolutely everything.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:00 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:

Even so, I am quickly getting tired of Rin's hot-headed approach to absolutely everything.

???

One of the very things that pleased me about episode 5 was that Rin was not hot-headed when I expected him to be. spoiler[A typical hot-headed reaction to Suguro's challenge would have been to accept it, but Rin chose not to.]

While he's still pretty hot-headed in general, he tempers it with at least some wisdom about what things are really important, and that aspect of him seems to be growing.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:03 am Reply with quote
Show is going okay so far for me, I really don't like shounen stuff, but Blue Exorcist has enjoyable moments.

spoiler[I knew there was something fishy about the Mephistopheles dude because of his name. The end of episode 5 confirms him as a demon and it seems like he be an anti-hero kind of character. So... What exactly is he up to?]

I don't like the younger brother, too. spoiler[I don't really understand why he seems to, what's the word.... Moderate Rin? They're brothers, I would have expected him to [demonstrate] care for Rin. I don't really like the younger brother's actions so far - keeping watch of Rin, killing Rin if circumstances are necessary.]

So... Anyone mind telling me when the spoiler[Yoko-like chick] is going to come?
Westlo

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 3:44 am Reply with quote
^ Well next weeks filler episode means we have to wait an extra week... I'm guessing episode 10/11... and she better be all over the second OP...
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 12:55 am Reply with quote
Totally enjoying this show so far,

Mad_Scientist wrote:
Just watched episode 5.

I'm finding this show very enjoyable. While a lot of it is familiar shounen stuff, the characters are likable, and the show puts its own spin on things. For example, in this episode we had the standard set up spoiler[where the teacher leaves the class alone, but tells them not to do (insert dangerous action) while he is gone. Of course, we all know they're going to ignore him. But for some reason the teacher doesn't seem to predict this, despite the fact that two of his students are bickering hotheads, and one of them has already done a stupid and potentially dangerous thing in class.]

spoiler[But then, surprise surprise, Rin doesn't accept Suguro's challenge. Rin says he's not an idiot and he's not going to risk his life over something so petty. And he's a shounen protaganist? It was nice to see that despite being childish on the outside (and inside in some ways), Rin actually is a lot more mature than he appears. Of course Suguro on the other hand...]

spoiler[And I also liked how at the end of the episode we see that the class was still being watched by another teacher, meaning it wasn't left entirely alone (though I don't think that one teacher was aware of that). Regardless, if things did get out of hand (which they almost did), he was ready to step in.]

So true, he's been great to watch. Ofcourse he's got some of the shounen lead characteristics but just as often he does something to break the mold like what you described above and other things and we're merely five episodes in.

Another moment I liked where he came off nicely a little different was when director of the show had him do the more emotional, grit-your-teeth tears over Fujimoto's death rather than scream it out like the usual shounen protagonist's first rough moment, was a fantastically powerful moment executed with that great piano music going.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:34 pm Reply with quote
This show seems pretty standard shonen fare to me, but Rin not rising to Suguru's bait was a little twist.

The other twist? Eh. Villains are as villains do, and that guy hasn't done anything evil that we know about yet.

This is something that's gonna bother me every episode: If Satan is the twins' father, who the heck was their mother? (Manga fans: I just want to know if this is ever addressed, because it bothers me to no end when the backstory of a parent is ignored in manga/anime. Like Kagome in Inuyasha. Would it have been so hard to mention her dad???)
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:15 am Reply with quote
They haven't mentioned his month again yet. (but then it took Naruto forever to bring that up, so. . .) The implication is that she was just some chick, and she died, so no more needed to be said. It wasn't as if she was dating Satan and had a lovechild, the implication is that she was either forcibly raped, or that she had sex with someone possessed (possibly without knowing it), or even that it was a sort of "evil Jesus" situation, where he just "made her pregnant" without all the messy work.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Well. I love the arcs about Naruto's parents. Given, I haven't been reading Naruto for the full 10+ years it's been out, but the fact that the author addressed a character that many fans had long ago written off as probably not that important to the story and gave her a full and detailed backstory and personality was incredible, imho.

You're probably right, though. The fact that Satan (while possessing Father Fujimoto) said outright that he killed their mother probably means that she will not be mentioned again. But if I were Rin or Yukio, I'd want to know who she was. Looking for her family not only would lead them to living human relatives (grandparents, aunt and uncles, etc) but may also give them more information about how Satan works, how he chooses his victims, and how Father Fujimoto found them as infants to begin with. There is a lot of potentially interesting and relevant information to be gained in such an arc, and it will give the whole story a richer feel. (It could also provide even more fun relationship dynamics for Yukio and Rin to deal with).

Parentage: something that is all to easily ignored in manga about orphans, but is made much better when it's not.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 11:34 am Reply with quote
Although it's wrong to claim that Blue Exorcist didn't have, because I found the relationship between Rin and the father somewhat generic, but touching and well written for its length.
As for Naruto, you had to wait like 250 episodes to finally see it, right?

Which is why I think Blue Exorcist has one of the best beginnings in the shonen group.
jsc315

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 5:23 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Rin is a very refreshing shonen hero. Unlike your standard hot headed fella, he's more of a mix between Luffy and Ueki as far as his temperament is concerned.

Anyway, despite my experience with last week's episode (which was bad given my mood back then), this show is still up there with my favorites, and I'm completely enjoying this as a fan of shonen and demons anime.

Oh yeah, the bit before the opening was absolutely hilarious.

Same here. I Just started watching this series today on Crunchyroll and the first episode didn't blow me away but kept my interest and by episode 3 i really started to get into it.

I was expecting some big boobed, annoying, stupid, 12 year old to just pop up and just mess everything up and just get in the way and kill the mood. Thankfully that has not happened and we get pure shonen fun they way it should be.

Blue Exorcist and Toriko have brought back faith to me in anime again. It's been way to many years since i seen anything decent that was fresh and entertaining without all the stereotypical anime BS that turns me off so many time and tends to happen way to much in many anime these day.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 11:36 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed episode 6. It was filler, but it was cute.

1. I like the focus on the relationship between Yukio and Rin. Siblings are fun, and they had a great dynamic here, a good combo of friendship and jealousy. It'll be fun to watch how their characters grow individually and how their relationship changes as they grow. (Full Metal Alchemist was the first anime I obsessed over, and one of my favorite things about it is the relationship between Ed and Al).

2. Nice to see a bit of slice-of-life to put some context in my shonen, and shonen heroes who can cook and/or bake are always cool.

3. Rin's tail is cute. Razz

spoiler[4. I want a stove spirit! Laughing And jealous fangirls are sooo cliche. Why not cook 'em? Twisted Evil]
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:37 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

After watching Episode 7 I take this statement back. They are working Rin up as a reasonably flexible character. This episode puts him more in the background as it follows Shiemi around, and I think that actually helps the Rin character become more interesting.

Blue Exorcist seems to be a good example of the rule that apply to many anime series in that you have to get past at least the 3rd episode before giving up on it.
jsc315

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I also take back what i said last week I still hadn't seen episode 6 and now episode 7 and the female characters as always just kill the mood for me and really dropped the show down a peg for me. It still has a ton of potential and I like where they are going with this, but the annoying whiny female characters really take me out of any anime.

HaruhiToy wrote:

After watching Episode 7 I take this statement back. They are working Rin up as a reasonably flexible character. This episode puts him more in the background as it follows Shiemi around, and I think that actually helps the Rin character become more interesting.

Blue Exorcist seems to be a good example of the rule that apply to many anime series in that you have to get past at least the 3rd episode before giving up on it.

I would have to say the opposite here. The first 3 episodes were great and now has kind of stalled and stagnated. Other then the last 5 min of the last episode not much has gone on since episode 3 and not much action at all.

Last edited by jsc315 on Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8