• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Lawyer: Some One Piece Downloaders Settle Out of Court

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
decepticons2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:10 am Reply with quote
I am not that picky about quality since it is free. But I had given up on Funimation since they are Hulu streamers. I pay for CR and enjoy it. If Funi gets a pay site that is at least equal to them I will probably pay them as well.

About the article though, If the case was dismissed for all but one person how can they go for fines against individual people? Wouldn't this be considered illegal somehow? Aren't there laws in the states that protect people from this type of company fear mongering?

On a side note there is some funi releases on Netflix. Why aren't they all there. Even though they are dubbed they stream a million times better.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:12 am Reply with quote
decepticons2 wrote:
If Funi gets a pay site that is at least equal to them I will probably pay them as well.

funimation.com is a pay site. Neutral
mix303

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:21 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Rukiia"]
mix303 wrote:
Well then why do I have free 720p dl's off of fansubs. But ohwell thats your own opinion half the time it dose not matter where you get it from. As for commericals you have a point but it may get really repetitive, say if i mist a part while I was away then tryed/moved to go back poof commerical after the video go's on.

MrHatandClogs wrote:
Seriously dude, are you stupid or something? Just because you steal something off the internet, and don't have to pay for it, doesn't mean it's free. It stealing, blatantly.
This. Took the words right out of my mouth.

Yes i'm well aware probaly same situation for anyone else that has For Music, videos, games of any kind. I understand both views, I have my own DVD/VHS/Blue Ray Anime collections no one is preffect.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:25 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Rukiia wrote:
I just don't get why people, especially in the US, still download when Funimation lets them have it for free.

Streaming a copy isn't the same as downloading a copy. FUNimation does not allow people to download for free.

Not many studios allow downloads for free at all. Even South Park, one of the more early progressives out there that for years have been posting new episodes on their own website immediately after airing, doesn't do that.

PetrifiedJello wrote:

the Rancorous wrote:
Oh NO! So it's like...like... watching Television! Rolling Eyes

The internet isn't television and it's no surprise those who feel it is are the same complaining about piracy.

They should just stream the episode at the same time as it's airing in Japan, including the commercial breaks, so everybody has to wait almost like they live in Japan themselves! Laughing

OrangeVision wrote:

I recall years ago Gabe Newell saying something like "Illegal downloading is the least of our worries" and that people will automatically start to lean towards paying for the stuff when they actually feel like they are getting something worth their money. And Steam has become the biggest digital video game distributor today.
If they would've started locking things with the DRM

Steam has DRM. A lot of videogames now are harder to get around, whether modding or logging on the online server, than it is to get around anime. That's why a lot of gamers pay for games.
MrHatandClogs

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:38 pm Reply with quote
All I keep seeing is more justification, and no real substantial arguments. I'm sorry, but that kind of elitist mentality is what brought all this about in the first place.

And, I'm not either of those "different kind of fans" people are talking about. If you'd read my first post, I said I'm not saying I don't dl fansubs, yes I do. Some of my favorite shows I watched fansubs.

But, I'm saying, if they're gonna give it away for free, why bitch about the quality and still dl the fansub. And, in watching the videos on their sites, you're actually supporting the show. I don't know about you, but I appreciate that. Yea, I wish FUNi would get with the times and step up their player/streams. But, I'm getting it for free, legally. That's good enough for me.

I don't dl any anime I can stream legally. Simple as that.

And, on a side note, if you're really that worried about the commercials on streams, all you have to do is this:

1. Open video, let video play through start up ad.
2. Now, once show starts playing, skip ahead to the next commercial, let it play through, and repeat through all commercials.
3. Playback from the beginning of the video, and Wala!, the video will play through the whole video with no interruptions.

Yes, you have to wait for the ads still, but you can get them all out of the way in one go, then enjoy your video with no ads!
mix303

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:00 pm Reply with quote
MrHatandClogs wrote:
All I keep seeing is more justification, and no real substantial arguments. I'm sorry, but that kind of elitist mentality is what brought all this about in the first place.

And, I'm not either of those "different kind of fans" people are talking about. If you'd read my first post, I said I'm not saying I don't dl fansubs, yes I do. Some of my favorite shows I watched fansubs.

But, I'm saying, if they're gonna give it away for free, why bitch about the quality and still dl the fansub. And, in watching the videos on their sites, you're actually supporting the show. I don't know about you, but I appreciate that. Yea, I wish FUNi would get with the times and step up their player/streams. But, I'm getting it for free, legally. That's good enough for me.

I don't dl any anime I can stream legally. Simple as that.

And, on a side note, if you're really that worried about the commercials on streams, all you have to do is this:

1. Open video, let video play through start up ad.
2. Now, once show starts playing, skip ahead to the next commercial, let it play through, and repeat through all commercials.
3. Playback from the beginning of the video, and Wala!, the video will play through the whole video with no interruptions.

Yes, you have to wait for the ads still, but you can get them all out of the way in one go, then enjoy your video with no ads!

I agree. Anyway I'm done with this topic Laughing.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Tylerr wrote:
Are you blind?

Stupid question, you have to be blind to not notice the extreme difference in quality between say a yibis fansub release and funi's stream especially on any moderately sized tv, here let me enlighten you.

Did I say the quality was excellent? No, I said "looks pretty good to me". And because Funi is streaming their stuff online then pirated downloads are going to have slightly better quality. But really, the difference isn't a whole hell of a lot. Yet how do you explain the fansub streams? They look pretty awful to me. Plus I really loathe how the fansub translators throw random weeaboo garbage into the translations. Here, I'll show you:

P.S Thanks alot for the spoiler[One Piece spoiler], jackass. Very considerate of you. And people wonder why I hate most of the Anime Community. They don't ever think twice when it comes to spoilers.

PetrifiedJello wrote:
Streaming a copy isn't the same as downloading a copy. FUNimation does not allow people to download for free.

Ok, then what about Viz or iTunes offering downloads for a small fee? And really, everyone can't have everything for free. The industries would cease to exist if they made everything available for free. Anime would then no longer exist in English (unless you want to import the Japanese Blu-rays with the subs). And I don't want that to happen because people are too cheap to cough up a few bucks to support the companies who bring us good shows.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
OrangeVision

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:48 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Steam has DRM.

Steam doesn't have its own DRM policy, only the games that had them in the first place has (games for windows products for example).
enurtsol wrote:
A lot of videogames now are harder to get around, whether modding or logging on the online server, than it is to get around anime. That's why a lot of gamers pay for games.

I have to disagree on that. Pretty much every DRM lock or forced online registeration so far has been easily compromised by hackers, it's usually the byers who have to put up with all the installation restrictions and online goofing.

MrHatandClogs wrote:

I'm not bringing arguments nor justifications, I'm stating the only solution for the problem. I frankly don't care if people here think that all the downloaders are the spawns of the devil, but if funi and the rest of the publishers can't deal with the reality of the situation, their future is looking pretty dim.
Struggling against pirates and illegal downloading isn't going to do them any good since forcing them to stop watching better and faster quality shows isn't exactly a good way to bring them new customers. Especially when fighting against illegal subs is like draining a lake with a bucket.

I found the Newell interview by the way, it has some good insight on video game piracy.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:14 pm Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
Tylerr wrote:
Are you blind?

Stupid question, you have to be blind to not notice the extreme difference in quality between say a yibis fansub release and funi's stream especially on any moderately sized tv, here let me enlighten you.

Did I say the quality was excellent? No, I said "looks pretty good to me". And because Funi is streaming their stuff online then pirated downloads are going to have slightly better quality. But really, the difference isn't a whole hell of a lot. Yet how do you explain the fansub streams? They look pretty awful to me. Plus I really loathe how the fansub translators throw random weeaboo garbage into the translations. Here, I'll show you:

So you don't like photoshopped memes. What does that have to do with fansubs?
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
P.S Thanks alot for the spoiler[One Piece spoiler], jackass. Very considerate of you. And people wonder why I hate most of the Anime Community. They don't ever think twice when it comes to spoilers.

No effin' kidding, I haven't seen that part of the series yet, completely ruins it. But really, can you expect juvenile little thieves to be considerate like normal human beings?

Quality, resolution, price, derpderpderp, whatever. These aren't arguments for getting stuff free, they're justifications for stealing, and terribly weak ones at that considering how reasonable the legal alternatives are. It feels like getting punched by a soft feather... an annoyingly whiny feather, swung by a retarded snail.

All you downloaders and fanrippers are stealing from extremely hard-working people. Thousands of people, working desperately against deadline, sometimes without anything approaching a normal social life, in an already difficult low-paying industry. You are taking the sum product of their intense creative labors, enjoying them, and tossing them casually to the side without sweating a dime.

And then, you've got the gall to get on the net and cavalierly parade how you deserve it that way? If you're going to indulge in mental masturbation, please do it in private! Laughing

You numnuts should be ashamed of yourselves, but who am I kidding. To feel guilt you'd have to have something approaching morals, a conscience, empathy, compassion, or respect for hard work to feel any needs beyond mindlessly pleasuring yourselves.

I say, screw this "downloader", "fansubber" carp, heck these aren't real "fans" in the first place. Let's call these entitled yahoos what they are: thieves.

Last edited by Lightning Leo on Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
MrHatandClogs

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
Tylerr wrote:

I know right? You had to put a screenshots w/subs, featuring I'm assuming an epic spoiler.

You know, some people do watch the dub of OP, I'm still waiting for my S3P5 to get here so I can finish up the Skypiea arc. Dick!
Rukiia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:29 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
So you don't like photoshopped memes. What does that have to do with fansubs?

I don't like their weeaboo translations, as shown in the picture I provided. I was also showing an example of fansub streaming quality, which looks pretty awful there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:44 pm Reply with quote
That picture is a photoshopped meme and is not proof of anything. The quality is not indicative of fansubs in general.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:09 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
That picture is a photoshopped meme and is not proof of anything. The quality is not indicative of fansubs in general.

Are you not reading what I just said? I said quality of streaming fansubs. Not downloading. S-t-r-e-a-m-i-n-g. The point I am trying to make is that lots of people watch streamed fansubs online yet I don't get how they think its better when Funi's is either on par or better.

Here is another example then:

^Better then Funimation's video quality? I think not.

But all in all, what I am saying is just because people offer better quality videos online does not mean it is legal or right. And again, people need to stop being quality snobs over free streams. The Funimation videos are pretty good for free streams.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7