• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bleach Licensed ?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GreatSaiyaman777

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure if I should be happy about this or not. Viz edited Zatch Bell badly, replaced it's music and now is selling edited-only dvd's and insisting "buy a ton of these or we refuse to release any dual/uncuts of this series." Sure, Naruto has a good dub but that's only because Viz was scared to death of having 100,000 Narutards p'od at them. If Naruto hadn't been as big as it was on fansub it probably would have gotten the Zatch Bell treatment at best. Their Inuyasha dvd's also left all songs completely untranslated then censored curse words/expressions like have Inuyasha's "kuso" become" nyarrrgh!" It's a good thing Bleach's fanbase is large so Viz will probably feel forced to go the Naruto route.

Just as long as the dvd's have correct translations, no censoring and translated songs (and are dual/uncut) I guess this is good news. I just hope that if the dvd's don't translate the op/ed that dvd reviewers rate the disc's badly and actually tell people not to support them, instead of saying the ol, "well, you should buy these dvd's and support Viz's efforts even though they they keep repeatedly refusing to translate any songs" because Viz isn't going to stop refusing to translate songs unless people are willing to not support their efforts when they do so.
The Frankman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:30 pm Reply with quote
I must say I love the insanity that reigns when certain Japanese anime series get licensed. You got "the purists"/fansub fans: OMG (insert company) got it they'll hack it they sux RORFFLFL!!"

the 4Kids haters: "THEY GET IT I'LL SLIT MY WRIST IT'S ONE PIECE/ESCAFLOWNE ALL OVER AGAIN nonoononononno!!"

The dub fans: I'm sure (insert company) will a decent job. Stop hating and wait for an episode to come out.

Me? Don't care who gets it as long as the VAing sounds good. Note I didn't say compared to the original, because it's not the point. So until then, I'll write about it and eat popcorn, watching how insane things get on various boards. I'm just waiting for the first mention of bodily harm. Twisted Evil
konosuke15

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:06 pm Reply with quote
The Frankman wrote:
I must say I love the insanity that reigns when certain Japanese anime series get licensed. You got "the purists"/fansub fans: OMG (insert company) got it they'll hack it they sux RORFFLFL!!"

the 4Kids haters: "THEY GET IT I'LL SLIT MY WRIST IT'S ONE PIECE/ESCAFLOWNE ALL OVER AGAIN nonoononononno!!"

The dub fans: I'm sure (insert company) will a decent job. Stop hating and wait for an episode to come out.

Me? Don't care who gets it as long as the VAing sounds good. Note I didn't say compared to the original, because it's not the point. So until then, I'll write about it and eat popcorn, watching how insane things get on various boards. I'm just waiting for the first mention of bodily harm. Twisted Evil

I used to be like the 4kids hater group (i still hate-em though). But i aint that much a dub fan...

just like everything else, im RIGHT IN THE F-IN MIDDLE!

Anyway, Yea. Its soooo much to see poeple bitch and complain ^^. Though, annoying as well ;.;
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Now this is what I expected. Guess all I had to do was wait a little.

The Frankman wrote:
I must say I love the insanity that reigns when certain Japanese anime series get licensed.

But you have to admit it does get old very fast.

Since this is VIZ we're talking about (why FUNi's coming up in the discussion is beyond me) there are two options: Shopro's preferred Bang Zoom (Steve Blum as Kenpachi anyone?) and Viz's preferred Ocean Group (Brad Swaile and Kirby Morrow fight to the death for the lead). You won't get Scott McNeil, though, since he's apparently in Texas.

And I happen to like Yuri Lowenthal as an actor, by the way. Leave him alone.
Someone_II

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Bleach comes from the same family of manga as Viz Media properties Shonen Jump, Dragonball Z and Naruto, but instead targets an older age group than the company's usual core demo of seven- to 12-year-olds.

Quote:
Bleach IS shonen, meaning it DOES target the same demo as "Dragonball Z", and Naruto, which again is for 7-12 year olds.

So being does 14 but reading Naruto and Bleach make me childish? Shonen is targeted at the 12-17 demo, frankly i've seen what happens when a 9 year old tries to watch the [dub edit of]Naruto, he can't follow the story. To expect a 7 or even or even a 12 year old for that matter to be able to follow death note (for example), which also happens to be a shonen title, is just crazy, hell, most people my age can barly, or not even, keep up with it.

Also, im wondering, how did FUNi get involved in this? isnt this thread about VIZ licencing Bleach?

Another thing:
Quote:
"THEY GET IT I'LL SLIT MY WRIST IT'S ONE PIECE/ESCAFLOWNE ALL OVER AGAIN nonoononononno!!"

thechnicaly 4kids(much as i hate them) had absolutly nothing to do with the mutilation of escaflowne, that was WAY before fox kids even thought of teaming up with 4kids, this happened way back in like 1999/2000(?). escaflowne was edited to meet the standerds fox had set for shows on their children's block(fox kids at the time).
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:06 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
SaveOnePiece wrote:
BLEACH is FUNimation's answer to the end of Fullmetal Alchemist.

I can't believe people are still throwing this around when it's all but announced that Viz will be handling the property in the US. People will cling to bizarre misconceptions for far longer than I'd ever thought.

The evil part of me would LOVE it if in the end, FUNimation did pull out a license for R1 and Viz was Europe (whatever region code they are). I just love seeing rampid rumors shot down. Twisted Evil
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:21 am Reply with quote
The Frankman wrote:

Haha i guess i used to be a 4kids hater (but not that extreme)

However, ever since i've come to this forum, I've turned into a fan who wants to hear points from several sides before firmly hating something.

I wonder if Bleach does go on the air if their opening an ending songs will be shown (or fast forwarded, or replaced, etc.)
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:15 am Reply with quote
shirokiryuu wrote:
Haha i guess i used to be a 4kids hater (but not that extreme)

However, ever since i've come to this forum, I've turned into a fan who wants to hear points from several sides before firmly hating something.

You're my hero.

shirokiryuu wrote:
I wonder if Bleach does go on the air if their opening an ending songs will be shown (or fast forwarded, or replaced, etc.)

Chances are the ED will be sped up. The OP's tend to be in tact with these things. (Although with ED3, they may make an exception, but that's highly speculative.)
NamaeX

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:21 am Reply with quote
For a few months I was working on a fancast list. In the beginning it had voice actors all over North America but I revamped it with the thoughts of Ocean Group getting it. Do you guys see this is a possibility?

Ichigo

Voice Actor: Brad Swaile
Cartoon: Gundam Seed Destiny
Character: Dearka Elsman

Rukia

Voice Actor: Kelly Sheridan
Cartoon: Inuyasha
Character: Sango

Chad

Voice Actor: David Kaye
Cartoon: Beast Wars
Character: Megatron

If they go back to Vancouver

Shibata the Parakeet/Yuuichi Shibata New!

Voice Actor: Jillian Michaels
Character: Shippo

Ishida

Voice Actor: Bill Switzer
Cartoon: Gundam Seed
Character: Sai Argyle

Voice Actor: Ian James Cortlett
Cartoon: Reboot / What's with Andy?
Character: Bob fused with Glitch / Andy Larkin

Orihime

Voice Actor: Moneca Stori
Character: Kagome

Tatsuki

Voice Actor: Lisa Ann Beley
Cartoon: Gundam Seed Destiny
Character: Murrue Ramius

Asano Keigo

Voice Actor: Matt Hill
Cartoon: Cardcaptors/Gundam Seed
Character: Kero/Kira Yamato

Urahara

Voice Actor: Brian Drummond
Character: Andrew Bartfeld

Ganju

Voice Actor: Don Brown
Character: Scorponok

Kuukaku Shiba

Voice Actor: Saffron Henderson
Character: Natarle Badgiruel

Jidanbou

Voice Actor: Richard Newman
Character: Rhinox

Ichimaru

Voice Actor: Andrew Francis
Character: Murata Azrael

Hanatarou

Voice Actor: Matt Hill
Character: Kira Yamato

Aizen

Voice Actor: Trevor Devall
Character: Mu La Flaga

Shunsui

Voice Actor: Scott McNeil
Cartoon: X-Men Evolution
Character: Wolverine

Hitsugaya

Voice Actor: Daniel Desanto
Cartoon: Braceface
Character: Brock

Kenpachi

Voice Actor: Brian Drummond
Cartoon: Dragon Ball Z (Ocean Group dub)
Character: Vegeta

Yachiru

Voice Actor: Chantal Strand
Character: Lacus Clyne

Ikkaku

Voice Actor: Michael Adamthwaite
Character: Yzak Joule

Voice Actor: Richard Cox
Character: Shani Andras

Voice Actor: Ted Cole
Character: Clotho Buer

Voice Actor: Andrew Toth
Character: Orga Sabnak

Kurotsuchi Mayuri
Voice: Actor: Terry Klassen
Cartoon: Cybersix
Character: Von Reichter

1. Ichigo
- Brad Swaile

2. Rukia
- Kelly Sheridan

3. Chad
- David Kaye

4. Shibata the Parakeet/Yuuichi Shibata
- Jillian Michaels

5. Ishida
- Bill Switzer or Ian James Cortlett

6. Orihime
- Moneca Stori

7. Tatsuki
- Lisa Ann Beley

8. Asano Keigo
- Matt Hill

9. Urahara
- Trevor Devall

10. Ganju
- Don Brown

11. Kuukaku Shiba
- Saffron Henderson

12. Jidanbou
- Richard Newman

13. Ichimaru
- Andrew Francis

14. Hanatarou
- Matt Hill

15. Aizen
- Trevor Devall

16. Shunsui
- Scott McNeil

17. Hitsugaya
- Daniel Desanto

18. Kenpachi
- Brian Drummond

19. Yachiru
- Chantel Strand

20. Ikkaku
- Michael Adamthwaite
- Ted Cole
- Richard Cox
- Andrew Toth

21. Kurotsuchi Mayuri
- Terry Klassen

Now I'm still building this list with the help with a number of my friends.

Last edited by NamaeX on Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:46 am Reply with quote
Hmm for Orihime, I've always imagined her to be more more soft spoken/higher pitched and ditzy sounding then Kagome

although, some voice actors are flexible enough to be able to take any kind of role
blueharlequin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:56 am Reply with quote
IMHO shouldn't everyone just be happy that it may soon/will be licensed for US distribution? I'm not saying it IS licensed, even though all evidence seem to point to that effect. But to quote ANN,
Quote:
Anime News Network is waiting for confirmation from Viz before reporting that the Bleach is "licensed" for release in North America.

There will always be purists who want Japanese with subs (then they will complain about the translation). There will be complaints about possible censorship. Then there will be the dubs (and someone will complain about the American VAs).
I think it is just great in itself that companies are paying attention to the fanbase. I prefer to watch anime in Japanese with subtitles. I have even gone as far to learn Japanese to a degree so that I don't necessarily have to read them all the time. But that is just me.
Bleach is an entertaining and dramatic anime, I look forward to it in whatever incarnation it comes to here in the US. However, IF Viz does dub & sub it then there is about a 100% chance I will only be watching the sub Razz
Someone_II

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:59 am Reply with quote
Pretty good list, personally though I'd get Matt Hill to do Ishida and Ian James Cortlett to do Keigo. I honestly can't think of a good voice for Bill Switzer exept for Mizuiro (Ichigo and Keigo's other friend)
NamaeX

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:30 am Reply with quote
shirokiryuu wrote:
Hmm for Orihime, I've always imagined her to be more more soft spoken/higher pitched and ditzy sounding then Kagome

although, some voice actors are flexible enough to be able to take any kind of role

Personally, I thought Orihime's Japanese voice was too high and made it very uncomfortable to watch. Out of all the female voice actors out there in Ocean Group, the only one I could think of that fits the role of Orihime would be Moneca, and even then her Kagome voice is best.

Last edited by NamaeX on Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total
NamaeX

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:41 am Reply with quote
Someone_II wrote:
Pretty good list, personally though I'd get Matt Hill to do Ishida and Ian James Cortlett to do Keigo. I honestly can't think of a good voice for Bill Switzer exept for Mizuiro (Ichigo and Keigo's other friend)

I don't think Matt should voice for Ishida because people have burnt in their brains the CCS dub with him as Kero (i.e. Kero piloting Strike Gundam instead of Kira Yamato), and also, I have yet to see Matt not sound like a surfer in English dubs aside from being Prince Pyrus in Shadow Raiders. Ian as Keigo? hmm... that could be an option. Bill might be a good choice for Mizuiro.

Times like these, I wish I was a casting director.

By the way, here's a link to my thread on another forum community for fancasting Bleach.

The Bleach English Voice Actor Project
Patmos

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:23 am Reply with quote
http://www.seekingtranslation.com/main.php?comicItem=79

comic related to Bleach being liscenced
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7