• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Next Forum Tournament - Voting Results

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:20 am Reply with quote
I would personally quite fancy Best Mentor/Old Person, preferably mentor since it would include older characters, although,hmhm, not all old characters ina mine ended up as mentors...

Best Couple
seems quite interesting as well. That would open a filed to romantic anime and action etc,, but not only, however, defining a couple would be hard at times (Would Mustang and Hawkeye be cinsidered a couple?).

Biggest jerk and Best rivals both look good to me as well...

Another thought- Best non-human character?
Which could be a ghost, a robot, a vampire, an alien, a deamon, name it...
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:43 am Reply with quote
Unicorn_Blade wrote:
Best Couple seems quite interesting as well. That would open a filed to romantic anime and action etc,, but not only, however, defining a couple would be hard at times (Would Mustang and Hawkeye be cinsidered a couple?).

I would say no to Mustang/Hawkeye as a couple. There are some elements of a couple there but no romantic parts to their relationship.

We need to lay out the overall rules for Best Anime Couple if it is going to be one of the contending topics for the next tournament. I could also add Romantic in there somewhere if that helps. Some basic rules would be: one of the characters declares their love to another and their feelings are accepted or in an epilogue or something of the sort, you see the two of them holding hands or something romantic like that.

I will take a look at the proposed topics so far and pick my top choices later in the day.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Best Tsundere is just a subset of it, too. (Besides, I think it's a foregone conclusion that Taiga would win that one,

But you didn't know Section 9 would run through Best Organization? I mean, they won 16-1, so it was a blow out. I get what you're saying, but you can't dismiss Best Moe Character because it's a foregone conclusion someone will win when you did Best Organization, and that's a very similar situation.

And, just my opinion (and I think PJ would agree), but I don't think Kagamii is going down like a punk. Nor are Asuka, Kaname, Eri, Yoko, and several others. While Taiga may be the best written within the grounds of her show, Kagamii is much more fun and cute character, and I'd vote for her over Taiga for that. This is Best Tsundere, not Best Written Character.

Last edited by The King of Harts on Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tris8

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:25 pm Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:
I'm not sure if this is what Spastic Minnow meant with Best Savior but it made me think Best Deus Ex Machina. We could either be board about it and use the actual meaning of the word which would allow us to include things like Super Saiyan Mode, Senzu Beans, Mechas etc. Or we can just stick to individuals or individual moments in a particular series.

Also when isn't one of these tournaments a bit subjective?
Oh, yes please for Best Deus Ex Machina!!!! That would be awesome. If we included items and powers like Senzu beans and Super Saiyan mode this would really be a refreshing tournament. All of the tournaments so far have been about people or groups of people so this would be new and interesting.

My #2 pick would be Best Mentor. Best old person is a good idea, but defining who is old and who isn't would prove difficult, and we'd get some great new blood. This is easy to define and evaluate and not similar at all to any previous tournaments.

I like the Best Rivals idea a lot, but it seems to me like there isn't any way to define one set of rivals as being better than another set. What would we evaluate on? How epic their rivalry is? How much each of their skills improve as a direct result of their rivalry? I'm pretty sure this would fall into a popularity contest.
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Not sure about your confidence in Taiga, Key. She's your standard tsundere, a well written character yes, but as a tsundere character she doesn't stand out (but then again, popularity is definitely a key factor around here, I mean, GITS and Cowboy Bebop consecutively). At least for me there's plenty of them tsun tsun out there, so the ones that stand out for me are characters like Senjougahara, Christina, and another perfect example I forgot. Generally characters who keep a fine balance between tsun and dere, and trust me, Taiga is a full mode tsun for the most part, which is why she's often compared to characters voiced by you know who.
And I don't think that a Moe Tournament from 6 years ago is relevant nowadays. That's way before the moe boom. But I think it's too early for one (I'd say we should have at least 3 different tournaments before that one). For now I just want this Best Rivals out of the way so I can start proposing Funniest Character again. And I don't wanna be voting for Comic Relief either because that's like the sub-category of a category that already takes a lot to stand on its own (supporting character).
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:09 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
And, just my opinion (and I think PJ would agree), but I don't think Kagamii is going down like a punk.

She'd get my vote, that's for sure. She is my favorite tsundere. There are no others now that the bar's been raised.
Raftina

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Moe is a rather broad concept that overlaps with a lot of other categories, though with different degrees. It has a lot of overlap with cuteness, but it also has a lot of overlap with tragedy--actually, a significant part of moe is the intersection of the cute and the tragic. I do not think a category like tsundere, which has significant overlap with moe, should be disqualified on that ground. After all, there are plenty of contestants that are tsundere but not remotely moe, e.g. Revy from Black Lagoon, Teresa from Claymore, Angelica Burns from Coyote Ragtime Show, Ryuho from S-cry-d, Shinn Asuka from Gundam Seed Destiny, etc. My apprehension runs rather in the opposite direction--that because tsundere and moe are pejoratives to some, a significant segment of the voters would focus overly much on aspects other than the tsundere play. In any case, my pick to win such a tournament would not be Taiga.
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:58 pm Reply with quote
My top picks for the next tournament are Best Anime Couple and Best/Most Tsundere. Can the power of love triumph? Is she actually being nice to me? Wait a minute, there has to be a catch.

I am intrigued by the Best Rivals as well and would go for it. This could lead to a battle like never before seen.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:04 pm Reply with quote
The Naked Beast wrote:
We need to lay out the overall rules for Best Anime Couple if it is going to be one of the contending topics for the next tournament. I could also add Romantic in there somewhere if that helps. Some basic rules would be: one of the characters declares their love to another and their feelings are accepted or in an epilogue or something of the sort, you see the two of them holding hands or something romantic like that.

Establishing the grounds for Best Couple is irrelevant until Key decides to allow repeats of old tournaments.

On another note, I echo the sentiment of several who think Taiga is far from a shoe-in for Best Tsundere. She'll do well, I'm sure, but there are plenty of solid contenders both old and new. (I'd put most of my support behind Hitagi, at the least).
mow123

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:14 pm Reply with quote
The Naked Beast wrote:
My top picks for the next tournament are Best Anime Couple and Best/Most Tsundere. Can the power of love triumph? Is she actually being nice to me? Wait a minute, there has to be a catch.

I am intrigued by the Best Rivals as well and would go for it. This could lead to a battle like never before seen.

I agree with Key. Best Couple is far to similar to Best Duos. I also personally don't like the idea of Best Rivals because I think its harder to judge animosity/tension compared to cooperation and teamwork. A Biggest Jerk or Most Gar/Hotblooded would be great choices. I don't think the latter would overlap as much with our last tournament as much as people would first think. A Most Dumb tournament, would give a very different set of characters a chance to win as well. Plus, I think it would be quite funny and a good counter to the Most Intelligent contest. Also dumb is very different than crazy. A crazy character would be a very weak pick. Heck, Johan, a character defined by his madness made it far in the Most Intelligent contest despite his clear craziness.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Best Couple definitely is too close to Best Duo to me as well, which is why I liked the Love Triangle idea better, since it opened it up more.

Also, just an aside, but I'm pretty sure Isaac and Miria were in the Best Duo tournament. I definitely seem to remember voting against them because I hate them :p

Something with Tsundere would absolutely not interest me and I probably would not even both participating, to be frank.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:55 am Reply with quote
Best Anime Couple is too close to Best Duo and I would rather repeat Best Duo* than do Best Couple that is limited to romantic relationships.

*And this is the tournament I’m interested in repeating the most, there are so many good, not necessarily romantic, duos in anime, just think of Tiger & Bunny from this season.

Quote:
(although I think it might be interesting to do that one again to see if some of the new powerhouse duos of the past few years - like Isaac and Miria from Baccano!, Taiga and Ryuji, or even Helen and Deneve from Claymore - might fare)

My thoughts exactly, and it would be interesting to see how duos from series like Spice & Wolf, Nodame Cantabile or Tsubasa would do, now that Spice & Wolf has a second season, NC has three seasons instead of one and Tsubasa has OADs that would make Fai and Kurogane stronger contenders.

As far as tournaments for most dumb/annoying etc. characters are concerned, I will not bother with those. I’m not enough of a masochist to be engaged in a discussion about characters I dislike or hate for weeks.
Olliff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:01 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Amongst other ideas, Best Comedy Relief strikes me as overlapping too much with Best Supporting Character; it would really just be a subset of BSC, with some new choices added in on the bottom end who didn't make the cut for BSC to flesh out the field.

That's why it needs to be relabeled Most Humorous to include main characters, characters apart of an ensemble, and characters belonging to comedy shows where comic relief is not an applicable term since almost everyone pitches in.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:15 am Reply with quote
Olliff wrote:
Key wrote:

Amongst other ideas, Best Comedy Relief strikes me as overlapping too much with Best Supporting Character; it would really just be a subset of BSC, with some new choices added in on the bottom end who didn't make the cut for BSC to flesh out the field.

That's why it needs to be relabeled Most Humorous to include main characters, characters apart of an ensemble, and characters belonging to comedy shows where comic relief is not an applicable term since almost everyone pitches in.

Meh. Still think Excel would win that one (or at least be one of the favorites), just like she did for Craziest Character.

On an unrelated note, I also think that if we do Best Duo again at some point (and that's the one that I am most inclined to repeat down the road, since that's probably my favorite tourney to date, but I think I'd prefer to see it sit for another year before doing it), I would DQ the two finalists from last time to give everyone else a reasonable chance. Otherwise odds would be heavily in favor of the finals coming down to Jinto/Lafiel (from Crest/Banner of the Stars) vs. Kurau/Christmas (from Kurau: Phantom Memory) again, as the merits of those two were just so exceptionally strong.

Oh, and the official word is that we will not be doing Best Couple, for reasons previously stated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Topic Voting

Time to get this settled. The most feasible options, as I see it:

Best Rivals - This is for individuals or groups who come into regular conflict for romantic, ideological, legal, familial, or competitive reasons. Some degree of acknowledgement that a rivalry exists is required and judging criteria would include the strength, durability, entertainment value, and depth of the rivalry as well as the dynamics between the characters. If we want to broaden the field, we could do Best Adversaries instead so that we're not restricted to recognized rivalries and could include any case where characters regularly oppose each other. If you vote for BR, also indicate if you prefer this broader slant or not.

Best Sensei - This is for any character that could be properly addressed in Japanese with the "-sensei" tag, so it is primarily for teachers, mentors, coaches, trainers, and others who take another character under their wing and guide them. If we do this category then evaluations will be restricted to the merits of the character as a sensei (effectiveness, entertainment value, etc.) rather than character strength/depth as a whole.

Best Love Triangle - Two people in love can get interesting, but three people in love gets especially juicy! This is for trios which have some degree of unresolved triangular romantic ties for a lengthy period of the source material; triangles would not be penalized for being resolved in the end, but they would be penalized in cases where there's a distinct couple with an outsider trying to worm his/her way in. An element of uncertainly is required here, and the dynamics of the three-way relationship would be the main evaluating factor. In harem set-ups or other cases where more than three people are involved, three of them would have to be chosen to represent the whole.

I am judging Funniest Character to be too close to Craziest Character and Best Tsundere to be both too much of a probable headache over who should and shouldn't be considered "tsundere" (Teresa from Claymore is, I think, a huge stretch) and too tilted in favor of recent titles, where the tsundere formula has been refined to a science. While I feel Biggest Bastard is highly viable, I'll save that one for consideration next time.

Voting Rules
1. Any registered forumite who isn't banned may vote.
2. Choose a top pick and a second pick from the list above. Top pick scores 4 points, second pick scores 2. Alternatively, you may pick two options equally for 3 points each or make a "don't care" vote, which gives each option 2 points.
3. Do register your vote even if you don't care which we do, as this is also a gauge of current interest level for the tournament.
4. Voting will continue for 48 hours from the time of this post. The next step - choosing characters for the tournament - will start sometime later the same day.

And to get things started off, I'm giving Best Rivals a 4 and Best Love Triangle a 2.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7