• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ping Pong/Kick-Heart's Yuasa Directs Adventure Time Episode

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Mister Ryan Andrews wrote:
First off, he said it without the 'alot of the time' as well.

Yes...after he had already explicitly stated that this was only true a lot of the time. Choosing to ignore this prior clarification is just you being willfully obtuse in order to misrepresent the poster's comment.

Quote:
Second off, that bit makes no difference anyway because you're trying to argue semantics now and shift the argument away from the core issue.

You openly lie about what others have said in order to strawman someone's position, and then you whine that I'm "shifting the argument"? No. If you want to stick to the "core issue" then don't be such a disingenuous ass to begin with.

Quote:
It's still a statement of 'anime has no variety.

It's literally not. It was said that anime lacks variety a lot of the time. The phrase "no anime has variety" or "anime has no variety" was never used. This is just a fact. A basic, observable fact, no matter how you spin it. You are once again openly lying.

Quote:
So no, anime does not lack variety, sorry.

Yup. Some people think it does. You can disagree by all means but pitching a fit about it, as if someone is being horribly unreasonable for even suggesting it, is downright comical given that criticizing all things western is basically all you do around here. Rolling Eyes
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:34 pm Reply with quote
God who cares?

Only anime fans would try to complain and downplay something as nifty as this. Jesus, I get it everything from Japan is fantastic and has no flaws. Could you please shut up with your "I like to blow Japan at every second!" crap? Adventure Time is a good show. American cartoons are good. Things like Daria, The Simpsons(well the old ones), Bruce Tim DC-verse, and many more are not only great in thier unique visual styles(which is more then CHARACTER DESIGN which people don't seem to understand here) ,but yes thier fantastic writing. Something I doubt many anime come close to. Oh no! Some American cartoons are good!

Some of you posters need to get of Japan's dick and accept that there other good things out there not from Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:08 am Reply with quote
As mentioned before, anything including anime has limitations too. A quick check of variety is the target audience. Basically, despite the increased diversity, if the target audience has their own limitation to what's acceptable, that inherently limits the range of diversity. Previously mentioned Gatsu who wouldn't accept as anime Japanese animated short films that don't have so-called anime aesthetics. Japan itself is predominantly a culture of kawaii/cute. Styles that aren't somehow mesh with it simply won't be accepted by the audience and won't be viable. They can only go so far with designs before becoming un-cute. So check what the audience would accept.
Crystal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:13 am Reply with quote
I think this thread is getting a bit hostile. Soundmonkey and I both like anime and American animation and don't think we were ever at each others' throats. I got nothing against him(/her)!
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:39 am Reply with quote
This should be fun. It's usually pretty interesting to see other artists take on another artists work.
I wonder how this came about. Was one person a fan of the other persons work or was it a mutual collaboration?
I hope we get filled in with more of the back story in the future!
Trypticon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:13 am Reply with quote
I think anime fandom and the community along with the entire geek culture would be much more pleasant if the people involved in it abandoned this “holier than thou” attitude which includes the “everything else is inferior to what I like,” sentiment.

A majority of Anime does share the same basic character design blueprint I agree, but I do not see this component of the execution of a given story as a liability. At the same time, while I admit I prefer Anime to American Animation I am not saying that it is superior to American Animation.

The reason being is that there are plenty of American cartoons that I enjoy very much. Objectively speaking; there is far more variation in the character designs of these American cartoons with shows like MLP, Teen Titans, Undergrads, Clone High and of course some of the cartoons I grew up watching like She-Ra, He-Man, Inspector Gadget, Transformers, GIJOE and yeah, you get the idea. I'm not even going to talk about the Disney stuff because I would be opening a huge can of worms.

At the end of the day, it’s all cartoons; yet, comparing American and Japanese Animation is comparing apples and oranges. It’s one thing to discuss the distinctions between Japanese and American cartoons, but arguing about which is “better” is pretty much a complete and pointless waste of time that only serves to create bad blood among fans.

Lastly, that Ping Pong series looks like it will be good and I think an episode of Adventure Time just might be the perfect overseas project for this Masaaki Yuasa to come and inject his ideas into.
Divineking

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:56 am Reply with quote
trypticon wrote:
I think anime fandom and the community along with the entire geek culture would be much more pleasant if the people involved in it abandoned this “holier than thou” attitude which includes the “everything else is inferior to what I like,” sentiment.

I agree with this sentiment 100%. I made something addressing this a while back actually: http://animationinfinity.com/2014/02/animation-talk-state-animation-culture/
Mister Ryan Andrews

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:21 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Yup. Some people think it does. You can disagree by all means but pitching a fit about it, as if someone is being horribly unreasonable for even suggesting it, is downright comical given that criticizing all things western is basically all you do around here.

Uh huh, well, see, the main difference between you and I is I never said anything bad about American animation in this thread. I did not move some agenda of 'all cartoons look the same' or 'anime has more variety than cartoons' or whatever. All I did was say 'actually nah, anime has plenty of variety just like American animation does, so you are wrong'. If you find a statement of equality to be 'anti western' then that's an unfortunate problem on your end.
Jen Bigby

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
thier fantastic writing. Something I doubt many anime come close to.

Yeah, maybe one day anime will reach the high writing standards that is children's cartoons Confused

Why can't cartoon fans praise their shows without trying to insult anime at the same time? If you want more people to watch western cartoons it would be better not to insult anime fans or their shows in the same post. Just something I always notice on this issue and find kinda annoying. Rather than talk up cartoons to seem good people talk down anime to seem bad instead.
Looneygamemaster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey did not insult anime--he merely observed that he didn't find it as diverse as western animation. It's bad enough you all consistently put everything Japanese above all in the most unpleasant way possible, but to willfully misread what he said to try and demonize him is reprehensible.
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:51 pm Reply with quote
It's pretty funny to me that anime fans get flack for "attacking" western cartoons when the most juvenile insults in this thread seem to be coming from western cartoon fans. I have nothing against western animation, but it's just not for me. Just let people like what they like and dislike what they don't.
Looneygamemaster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry, but how is calling out hypocrisy and dishonesty an insult?
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Looneygamemaster wrote:
I'm sorry, but how is calling out hypocrisy and dishonesty an insult?

You can make a point without looking like a sarcastic, angry teenager. I'm not referring to Soundmonkey's posts by the way. I'll let you figure out which ones I mean.

Another hint: I wasn't referring to yours either.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Jen Bigby wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:
thier fantastic writing. Something I doubt many anime come close to.

Yeah, maybe one day anime will reach the high writing standards that is children's cartoons Confused
I really only listed one thing that is meant for children, but still is made in a way that people of all ages can enjoy.

But it's true, those shows have writing quality that few anime come close to. Bias sure, but I doubt many anime will ever come close to the high quality humor that was on display in those early(2-8) seasons of the Simpsons. Of course that could just be a culture divide. Hell people often accuse western cartoons of just being for kids, but for some reason they chose to ignore many of the adult comedy cartoons made. Again, it's a culture divide as I'm not Japanese and don't understand Japanese humor or it's real culture. Doesn't change the fact that there have been many western comedic cartoons that are dead on and biting critiques of western society. Cleverly written and actually funny.

Utena and other coming of age dramas are fantastic in visuals and writing, but Daria has some of the best character writing in a cartoon I've seen. Relatable and honest with nuanced characters.

My point is that there are many western cartoons that are great and match even anime's greats. We aren't even talking about movies.

Quote:
Why can't cartoon fans praise their shows without trying to insult anime at the same time?
That's a funny question, because why can't anime fans stop bashing american cartoons in thier hope to hold up Japanese cartoons as the end all be all? It seems that always comes up. With the usual superficial argument that anime is so much better because it has these "mature" subject matter, regardless of the actual quality. Anime fandom is so annoying because it's fans believe that nothing outside of what Japan does is worthwhile and it's very apparent when it comes to talks of cartoons. The need to talk down western cartoons as "only for kids" always makes it's appearance and it's shallow. Sure, they may be focused on children. That dosen't make them less well done compared to a mediocre anime made for adults. Hell, you do it now with your post as if being made for children means thier can't be any sophistication in the writing. Being written for children does not mean it has to be brain dead. There's craft there. Something like Beast wars was written for children and was a toy commercial. it did not stop it from having well realized characters and "complex" plots written for a child. But I guess the mere presence of blood or tna makes a whole difference.

A lot of anime is poorly written. A lot of western cartoons are child cash ins. Some aren't on both sides. There's no need to think one is better then the other.

Quote:
If you want more people to watch western cartoons it would be better not to insult anime fans or their shows in the same post.
Anime fans do it to themselves.

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Mister Ryan Andrews wrote:
Uh huh, well, see, the main difference between you and I is I never said anything bad about American animation in this thread.

Bullshit. As usual, you immediately turned up to throw shit on the show in your backhanded, dismissive way by reminding us that...
-This was quite different from AT normally cause the animation actually had "depth".
-Also, Yuasa probably didn't even want to work on it.
-He's just doing it because they're paying him a ton.
-That's always why Japanese creators work on western shows.
-Also, Americans are only interested in action shows for kids
-American tastes, blah blah blah...
Which is exactly what you always do. This is your MO. The fact that you're now backpedaling and trying to jump on board the "don't criticize a whole country's animation" bandwagon because someone offered a critique of anime for once just goes to show that not only are you a raging Japanophile, but you're also a completely fake person. Someone who will say anything, no matter how untrue, and will deliberately retcon the past in order to paint a picture where you're being reasonable.

Jen Bigby wrote:
If you want more people to watch western cartoons it would be better not to insult anime fans or their shows in the same post.

No, see, you're misunderstanding my purpose. I really don't care at all if you people watch western cartoons. If you're missing out on a whole country's animation output just because of your silly bias...well that's really just your loss. Plus, it's pretty clear that nothing I can say is gonna change your mind. No, I'm just here to call you out on your ridiculous hypocrisy. Case in point: Whinging about how he "insulted" anime fans by suggesting anime may lack visual diversity and then turning around and dismissing western animation as "children's cartoons". Think what you want. Do what you want. But if you're gonna blab in the forums about it I'm gonna tell you how ridiculous you are.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8