• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Late Night Chaos

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I'd agree with you if it was just a matter of pure tastes, but when one can point out glaring objective deficiencies in the world-building or plot progression or what-have-you, it moves somewhat beyond that. Some people may be willing to overlook such issues, but I prefer holding my entertainment to some basic standards of quality.

That's still just opinion.

In your opinion the world building/plt is bad. It's not a fact.
varmintx

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Zac was not exaggerating about how utterly bizarre that Tigtone video is. Can't say I "enjoyed" it...can't say it's something you're supposed to enjoy in a traditional sense. I do know I'd watch more.

Rick and Morty is my new favorite animated series and I'm simultaneously ecstatic and shocked to hear it did very well in the ratings.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 2:06 am Reply with quote
Guile wrote:

The reason Pretty Cure probably won't work in America is for a few reason

1. Sexism: Girl cartoons doesn't sell very well in America. If it does, it's based on dolls. And girl action leads certainly don't sell. Before anyone cites Korra as an example I would like to point out:

a. It is based on an established franchise.
b. It has tanked in ratings so saying it sold is questionable
c. Korra is a very masculine character. She's not feminine like the Pretty Cures. She was focus tested to appeal to boys first and foremost, not girls. In fact, that show seems to go out of it's way to demonize and talk down to femininity in how they portray Asami, but that's a whole other discussion.
d. People are using one show to make a point. Until the market has fifty Korras under it's belt, the market can be re-assessed.

Wouldn't that be the thing that stands out compared to other animated girl shows shown in the U.S and entice young girls into watching Pretty Cure? I mean its main feature is having human girls wear magical feminine frilly outfits while still being able to kick butt with the occasional close quarter combat battles.

Though that aspect you mention about nostalgia does put a bummer in things.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4