• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Offers 1st 2 Madoka Magica Films Dubbed, Anohana Film Blu-ray/DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mangaranga

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 12:06 pm Reply with quote
TsunaReborn! wrote:
EighteenSky wrote:
TsunaReborn! wrote:
Haha yeah but luckily for me I have a region free player, I just need to find somewhere that I can preorder it and ship over here Very Happy

Your best bet is http://www.up1.co.uk/ for Anohana and any anime you want to import from the US (or Aus for some anime), ships from within the UK so no customs hassles. Just wait for the film to be put up on the site as it ain't on there yet.

Amazing! Thank you very much Very Happy

Just in case you didn't know, all of Aniplex's Blurays are region free, so you can play them back in a region A or B player.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Marimai wrote:
I have one question tho, I'm about to watch Madoka magica for the first time, should I buy the series or just watch the movies instead (since they are identical)?

I'm trying to think of a reason to say the series, but really just not coming up with anything. You can tell where the breaks originally were, but by stitching them together you have the option to pause or not whenever you want, and without having to go through the cycle of intro/story/credits/previews over and over again. Combined with the lower price point and possible smoothing into Rebellion, and I would have to say go with the movies.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
invalidname wrote:
— AoA always commands a premium, that's their thing —

I wouldn't mind that because that's NISA's thing too and I preordered one of their sets.

Since when has NISA ever charged a premium? Confused
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 1:23 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
I just thought it was odd that AoA is handling the movie when NIS America did the series. In fact, the series lingered unlicensed for a long time until NISA picked it up. Wonder what changed about the Anohana franchise to get Aniplex more interested this time around?

I think it was moronic on the part of Aniplex USA to not have released the series themselves. I believe that AoA would have made a good profit if they had released and dubbed such a great title like Anohana.

terminus24 wrote:
Also considering picking up the Gurren Lagann movies, although I might just want to get the DVDs more, which are already out.

I bought the DVD LE box of the series and was disappointed that AoA used the exactly same masters from the Banda Entertainment releases, including faulty discs. DVD 2 in my set does not work properly.

Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
I was considering buying Silver Spoon but I don't think I can justify that cost when Funi and NISA offers their limited and premium releases for around the same cost as Aniplex's bare bones release.

Were you honestly considering buying Silver Spoon from Aniplex USA? At this point you should have expected a DVD-only, bare bones release for $60 and/or a BD set for at least $100.

Aniplex USA does not seem interested in changing their business model anytime soon.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Sun May 25, 2014 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Glad I waited for the Madoka movies, though since I already have the series the first two films would be a waste of money. The 3rd film is the only one I want.

The Anohana movie is a definite purchase though.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Noticed someone comment on the frequency of English subtitles being included on Japanese editions. I've noticed that its still a rarity on Aniplex titles. Out of the 60 or so Aniplex discs I own maybe a third have subtitles. I think that all of my theatrical anime from Aniplex is subtitled. On the other hand Bandai Visual usually releases one or two anime a cour with subtitles. More than half of my BV discs are subtitled. Definitely more common than five years ago but still quite rare.
K.o.R

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:17 pm Reply with quote
The wording in the article is slightly unclear: is it a box set of both movies for $100 or is that per movie?
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:29 pm Reply with quote
K.o.R wrote:
The wording in the article is slightly unclear: is it a box set of both movies for $100 or is that per movie?

Box set of both. Not 100% but I believe they were released only as a double feature.
Hellfish

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I have already the madoka import so I am not thinking of double dipping. Also people interested may want to know that this edition doesn't include the soundtrack or the extras. But I guess this would be good for the people who wanted a dub, or an dvd edition.

The Ano hana box looks nice. I got to see the movies on a movie theater and I really enjoyed, I will try to get it.

I like silver spoon, but it will have to wait after the limited editions I want, I am not actually disapointed is only on dvd, it didn't look like HD stuff so I think a Blu ray would not look really different at all...
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Aniplex North American branch really needs to step it up with their BD releases. We all understand that there is a window of time that needs to pass before a NA version can be made but it just looks like they release DVD sets and are done. Really want a domestic BD of Vividred Operation. Would also check out Blast of Tempest if they made a BD of that. I'm done with the whole "buy the DVD to show support for a BD" way of thinking. My cash isn't as disposable as it once was so I need to make every purchase count.

Haven't checked their Facebook page in well over a month now...I take it people are complaining about these "DVD only" releases? Best way to get through to them is via FB and those reply cards. The president and staff acknowledge that they read their wall daily.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Glad I waited for the Madoka movies, though since I already have the series the first two films would be a waste of money. The 3rd film is the only one I want.

The Anohana movie is a definite purchase though.

I still gotta pick up the series, but UGH, Aniplex pricing, but I'll get it eventually, after I get my PS4.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 4:39 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

Were you honestly considering buying Silver Spoon from Aniplex USA? At this point you should have expected a DVD-only, bare bones release for $60 and/or a BD set for at least $100.

Aniplex USA does not seem interested in changing their business model anytime soon.

Yes I was seriously considering it and if the release was closer to their Magi or Servant X Servant release which at least include a little something extra like a booklet I'd have gotten it, but the only thing they bothered with Silver Spoon was keeping the price high.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Yes I was seriously considering it and if the release was closer to their Magi or Servant X Servant release which at least include a little something extra like a booklet I'd have gotten it, but the only thing they bothered with Silver Spoon was keeping the price high.

I was just about to comment on that as well. At least in the past, AoA gave out little trinkets like postcards and booklets to help try and justify the high prices of their DVD sets (not that postcards and booklets will ever be worth an additional $30, but whatever), but this time they're not even bothering to include that, while still keeping the exact same price point. Hell, it doesn't even come with a slipcover.

AoA is just getting more and more shamelessly brazen about their insane prices and corner-cutting, and I hope it's only a matter of time before their customers catch on and call them out for it. The whole illusion of Aniplex's "superior quality" really is a sham. Confused
raich8

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Marimai wrote:
I have one question tho, I'm about to watch Madoka magica for the first time, should I buy the series or just watch the movies instead (since they are identical)?

I'd just watch the series on Crunchyroll - they're the BD version, so they're not bad even if the movies are prettier. The first movie cut out a couple scenes in the interest of length that I thought were kind of important.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 9:36 pm Reply with quote
The second movie also has to deal with the fact that one of the episodes really doesn't flow well into the other ones. They try their best, but really it's something that ultimately works well only as a separate episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6